Home

Biggest Flaws in M24

This is a discussion on Biggest Flaws in M24 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-11-2024, 02:48 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Biggest Flaws in M24

1a, 1b, and 5 seem like easy fixes. They could be made this year. Competitive mode may be the fix for playcalling but it then highlights the penalty problem. EA needs to make the playcalling the same as competitive, tune the penalties to actually mimic real numbers, and fix the injury timeout. Do that and franchise is more fun than frustrating 👍
Old 01-11-2024, 05:35 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I may not put this under biggest flaws but the fact that they haven't updated practice squad and injured reserve rules to reflect the current rules after a few years now bothers me probably more than it should.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:13 AM   #11
Pro

benton32's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
This year is my first year playing Madden on the current gen. The game is incredible but there are a few lasting flaws which are frustrating. Some are quick fixes and just show a lack of attention to detail. Others are more in depth of a problem that would require some significant changes by the dev team. Here are my top 5 flaws of this game.

1A - CPU Playcalling
1B - The penalties (or lack thereof)
3 - The sim engine
4 - Presentation/announcing
5 - Injury timeouts

1A - CPU Playcalling. There is an in-depth thread on this topic but it is bad. CPU passes 65-75 percent of the time. I know the NFL is pass happy but they are not that pass happy. Most of this stems from EAs oversight of the default playbooks. If you deep dive it's pretty obvious to see why they pass all the time. A possible solution is to create custom playbooks and give it to the CPU. However, that causes the game to crash or have the no player bug.

1B - Penalties. I mean come on. We have an officially licensed NFL replication game that doesn't have penalties. WTF? How is this even possible? The thing is, EA had this dialed in several years ago. Why was that removed.

3 - Sim engine. I did a deep dive on the sim stats because they have been broken for a long time. I stopped looking because it was so frustrating. Not enough sim plays. Not enough fumbles, sacks, field goals, etc. There are so many things wrong with the sim engine. On the surface it looks good but once you start looking it's a train wreck. Solution? Super sim right. Except super sim is an exercise in futility unless you slow sim every game which is not worth it.

4 - Presentation. I mean it's 2024 and we had better presentation in 2004. Enough said.

5 - Injury timeouts. This may seem insignificant but it has a profound effect on the clock. I play with the injury slider at 50 because I actually want injuries. I just don't want the clock to stop every single time. IRL, the clock stops for an injury and then is started again once the player leaves the field. This is so simple it's frustrating. What is the impact? I can't play 15 minute qtrs because there are too many plays no matter the acc clock settings.

Madden 24 is so damn close to being an amazing game. I'm still having fun with it in January. Past versions have been shelved prior to the NFL season even starting. It's frustrating when some of these things are so simple. What do you think are the biggest flaws with this game?

a few things off the top of my head ive noticed,
coach mode qbs wont move around or take off, i hate it, sometimes my qb stands there till he is sacked, not alot but sometimes, and im starting to think that the player itself wants to take off and run but the game wont let it.. if that makes sense. Like when u slow sim and sometimes u see qbs scramble, I think in coach mode sometimes it wants to do that and nope,

I think some of them standing there to long and taking a sack is also the awareness rating maybe, i notice the higher they are in awareness the less time they hold the ball,

I think deep down the penalty thing, and sorry if u are a MUT player if im attacking u lol... I think deep down, madden doesnt want their sweet MUT players to get slowed down my flags, god forbid these guys get there high powered offenses get called for holding or flase starts or offensive pi

Imagine putting in all that money, to build up a awesome team, espeically if u are offensive minded and u got a Offense that puts up 50 a game 500 yards a game, and ohhh u get hit with 4 to 6 holding calls, 3 to 4 false starts, ohh nooo my offense is getting slowed down, they think MUT players will give up and quit if they get held back to 25-30 pts a game,

same for defensive minded guys on MUT, they dont wanna see their team get hit with PIs, defensive holding, offsides, ohh no noooo,

how many times have u seen a offsides call, anytime both lines jump its a false start,

sorry for the long rant haha, one more quick thing,
the lack of blocked punts and Fgs is alil odd to, i know they dont happen alot in real life, and madden doesnt wanna mess it up to where its to over powering, i get it, but i dont even see any close calls barely,

There was something else i noticed to, ohh i kinda wish weather was more of a factor, i thought it was but i could be wrong, imagine playing in a down poor or snowy game and theres like 5 or 6 fumbles, or the passing is way harder, everyones slower, ahh we can wish right
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
1a, 1b, and 5 seem like easy fixes. They could be made this year. Competitive mode may be the fix for playcalling but it then highlights the penalty problem. EA needs to make the playcalling the same as competitive, tune the penalties to actually mimic real numbers, and fix the injury timeout. Do that and franchise is more fun than frustrating 👍
1a and 3 seem directly related to me and I think that's one of the big problems. Right now playbooks determine both the in game playcalling and the sim stats. So when they alter the playbooks to optimize one, it comes at the expense of the other and makes it worse. It seems like we made a jump in sim stats being more accurate this year at the cost of CPU playcalling which is as bad as it's ever been.

Also I think a big issue missing from this list is positional terminology and the CPU putting players at incorrect positions. Get edge and interior guys so that the AI can make educated decisions.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:36 AM   #13
MVP

forme95's Arena

How can you forget GM logic.
Cpu GM signs X player for 3 years/$50M and $20M guaranteed. Then turns a round a couple weeks later and trades him for (Y player) an already overloaded position that the other team eats the traded Y players guarantee.
So turn off trades till maybe week 7 or 8? Nope then they go signing crazy in free agency during the year. Sign CB, cut LB, sign HB, cut CB, sign WR, cut LB, sign OT, cut (resigned MLB), sign LB (5th LOLB on roster).
MLB is the same way and it will never be fixed. Why expect Madden will?

These games are all going away from sim and more into casual, arcade, eye popping, big wow, look I can throw 900 yards a game and win 199 to nothing.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 01-22-2024, 01:34 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
How can you forget GM logic.
Cpu GM signs X player for 3 years/$50M and $20M guaranteed. Then turns a round a couple weeks later and trades him for (Y player) an already overloaded position that the other team eats the traded Y players guarantee.
So turn off trades till maybe week 7 or 8? Nope then they go signing crazy in free agency during the year. Sign CB, cut LB, sign HB, cut CB, sign WR, cut LB, sign OT, cut (resigned MLB), sign LB (5th LOLB on roster).
MLB is the same way and it will never be fixed. Why expect Madden will?

These games are all going away from sim and more into casual, arcade, eye popping, big wow, look I can throw 900 yards a game and win 199 to nothing.
I guess the horrible playcalling has distracted me from how bad the GM side. QB logic seems to be of the bigger issues. In my 2nd year the Texans signed K.Cousins to a starter contract. This past season the Dolphins had a top 15 QB but drafted one with the 12th overall pick. I can somewhat live with the GM stuff because you can work around it to a point. The playcalling, sim engine, and penalties have no real viable workaround. I've even learned to live with the sim engine and penalties, the playcalling has made me put down the controller. It's crazy the consoles are as advanced as they are but Madden fans are begging for things that used to be in the game 20 years ago.

Last edited by tdogg097; 01-22-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #15
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Any component of the game which touches playbooks is the biggest flaw in Madden 24.

Outdated football gameplay tactics, ancient design which puts a hard cap on the skill ceiling of a CPU-controlled opponent, lack of organizational tools for power users, lack of drive scripting tools, inability to deep-dive into opponent playcalling tendencies (and the tendencies reported by Weekly Gameplanning in franchise are further just flat-out wrong), customization features limited by decade-old bugs... I could go on but I don't want to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2024, 02:24 PM   #16
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
I guess the horrible playcalling has distracted me from how bad the GM side. QB logic seems to be of the bigger issues. In my 2nd year the Texans signed K.Cousins to a starter contract. This past season the Dolphins had a top 15 QB but drafted one with the 12th overall pick. I can somewhat live with the GM stuff because you can work around it to a point. The playcalling, sim engine, and penalties have no real viable workaround. I've even learned to live with the sim engine and penalties, the playcalling has made me put down the controller. It's crazy the consoles are as advanced as they are but Madden fans are begging for things that used to be in the game 20 years ago.
I have been lucky. Ive had a few pass heavy games, but for the most part, in a average game, Ive been seeing steady 20+ rushes and 35+ passes. Ive had games where teams have come out 5 runs and 15 passes, but by the end of the game its more 27 and 37.

I did my offseason and tried to move WR Cooper (80 and on decline) to free up $20M and the Texans offered me WR Collins (79 or 81) and 3 2025 picks. A 3rd, 5th and 6th. I wanted to accept it for the stupidity, but I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »