Home

How many Formations do you keep in your Playbooks?

This is a discussion on How many Formations do you keep in your Playbooks? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-13-2023, 08:37 PM   #1
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
How many Formations do you keep in your Playbooks?

Just curious what everyone does as far as number of formations and plays in their offensive and defensive playbooks.

I have mine way overloaded im afraid.

Is there a typical number i should be shooting for or staying under? I know its mostly personal preference, but if you were keeping it sim whats realistic?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2023, 10:14 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: How many Formations do you keep in your Playbooks?

My D book is 250 plays, I think I have 1 34, 5 43, 5 nickel, and 3 dime formations.

That PB is in the Goldilocks zone for overall size, versatility, and maneuverability.

I really like the scheme guide guy here who has the playbook creator tool and the scheme guide writeups; I think he says to aim for about 250 on offense as well.

I might aim for a little more than that, maybe as high as 350 but not higher than that so you don’t get lost in the sauce.

I think on offense, if I’ve got like 10-15 single back and 15 or so gun sets, I’m good with that. More than that and it starts to get hard for me to remember it all.

Something with considering on offense is that the CPU learns your plays, so you may need more of a certain concept on offense to run offense effectively than you do on defense.

Another factor will be whether your scheme is a few formations/many plays type or a few plays/many formations type.

I can see a team running just 7-8 gun sets but choosing the sets with 40 plays in them so everything you ever wanna do is in there, and I can see teams running 20 sets with just 7-10 plays per set because they’re trying to do mostly the same thing from various looks.

But generally, 250 is an amount you can use on both sides of the ball.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I keep my defensive book pretty bare bones. Three 4-3 and two nickel formations plus quarter for when I’m defending a Hail Mary

My offensive book is a mess. Around 300 plays but way too many formations, I feel like I haven’t ever used half the plays. Every time I try to clean up my playbook I end up adding more formations and plays
Old 01-11-2024, 10:04 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

I keep the maximum allowed (500 plays) across 52 sets…yes 52, via custom playbooks. The Eagles is glitched. The play Gun Flanker Close - Bench cannot be deleted (for whatever reason) so once you try to remove all plays from that set, you get to add an additional set while keeping Flanker Close and its plays.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:38 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

Are you guys talking about custom playbooks?

Can they be used in franchise mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2024, 05:10 PM   #6
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
Are you guys talking about custom playbooks?

Can they be used in franchise mode?
Yes

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2024, 07:20 PM   #7
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

I use max amount and vary up my play calling as much as possible. Only because Madden feels too easy to me if I only call my “comfort” plays/route combos over and over. I now get a huge kick out of scoring or getting big gains on plays/routes ive never tried before or that didn’t work before.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:39 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

On defense I like to run nickel to combat 3 WR sets everybody runs so I have all the nickel formations and all the common zones and man coverage as well as every other formation outside of 4-4. Offense I like running similar plays out of different formations so you can't pick up on my tendencies based off formations alone, so I have my offensive playbook almost maxed out

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »