Home

Hitting alot of 3 putts...

This is a discussion on Hitting alot of 3 putts... within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon5 Hitting alot of 3 putts...

I am a terrible putter on this game. Are there any hints i would benefit from? Im just all over the place; long, short and anything with a break i rarley make. How many inches do you think one of the boxes are on the putting grid? Any suggestions would make me a better player. Thanks.

Scott
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Hitting alot of 3 putts...

Putting is much easier the more attribute points you have. In fact, too much so IMO, but until you master distance in particular it can be very tough, yes. I literally spent two weeks getting my putting skills down. Not much secret to it though; just takes lots of practice. If you set up practice rounds with mulligans off, you'll get to practice your putting and will have a chance to increase your attributes as well. The other option is to play with mulligans on and practice your putting by moving the ball around the green.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Putting is much easier the more attribute points you have. In fact, too much so IMO, but until you master distance in particular it can be very tough, yes. I literally spent two weeks getting my putting skills down. Not much secret to it though; just takes lots of practice. If you set up practice rounds with mulligans off, you'll get to practice your putting and will have a chance to increase your attributes as well. The other option is to play with mulligans on and practice your putting by moving the ball around the green.
This. Just like in real life, the best way to get better at putting is by dropping balls all over a green and practicing over and over again.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

The important thing is to respect the greens. If the greens are fast or very fast, and the hole is on a tricky side hill lie, you have to seriously consider lag putting and going for an easy 2nd putt. You can't go for every putt like in 09. For flat greens, it is ok to run at the hole, but outside of 10-12 feet or so (dependent on the green) you have to think conservative. That lag putt that ends up 1 foot short is a good thing on tricky greens. Running 10 feet past the hole leads to a lot of 3 putts.

With putting itself, speed is just as important as the line, just as in real life. In 09, speed wasn't as important. Now, your line has to match the speed, and again you can't just recklessly go for putts.

Another big difference I notice from 09 is that you need to closely look at the entire line of the putt as far as elevation. The putt may say it is level, but if it is up a big hill, then back down to the hole, you need to take that into account. I use the B button on 360 (not sure what it is on other consoles) to zoom in to the target. Move it all around and see the contours.

That said, once you get in a comfortable range where you want to sink the putt, take a little off the line and hit it harder. This should only be within 8 feet or so, unless it is a very flat putt. With 5 footers, you don't want to be hitting it soft and adding a lot of break.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

A lot of putt are a "cup or hole" outside.Most of your 10-15 footer are one cup meaning move it over till one cup out the zoom . then u need to judge speed. speed probably most important. like in real life
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Putt speed is absolutely critical.
Once I realized that, putting became a lot easier.
Always err on the side on using less power on your putts.

Experiment with putt speeds - you will find that lowering your power (even on level putts) will give you much better results.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am coming back to the Tiger Woods series for the first time in years, but I am having a bit of trouble on the greens.

Can anyone tell me what the colors on the putting overlay mean? I have seen green, red and another color, possibly blue. I can figure out the break of the putt, but the manual does not give any clue as to what the colors are for.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
Can anyone tell me what the colors on the putting overlay mean? I have seen green, red and another color, possibly blue.
Hi Ryan. Red indicates uphill terrain, blue is downhill, and (I thought it was yellow?) is no elevation change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »