Home

The Greatest Show on Earth: Restoring the St. Louis Rams

This is a discussion on The Greatest Show on Earth: Restoring the St. Louis Rams within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

OVR: 0
The Greatest Show on Earth: Restoring the St. Louis Rams

JEFF FISHER ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Early Sunday morning, newly appointed St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher announced a sudden and abrupt retirement. There is no word at the moment as to why exactly, but many within the Rams organization believe he has had a major health scare. Rams owner Stan Kroenke has reportedly met with GM Les Snead and Chairman Chip Rosenbloom over who they want to hand the reigns over to, with Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer being the leading candidate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: Restoring the St. Louis Rams

NEW COACH JAMES LYNCH APPOINTED TO ST. LOUIS RAMS

We broke the story last Sunday that Jeff Fisher had announced his strange and abrupt retirement, and the news surrounding the former Greatest Show on Turf moves into stranger territory. Earlier today Les Snead called a press conference to announce the new Head Coach, who many believed would be Brian Schottenheimer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the press, I thank you very much for your time here. As you all know, the man the Rams organization believed would lead them back to playoff contention and winning seasons, Mr. Jeff Fisher, announced his retirement just a few short days ago. While we were all deeply disappointed at the loss of such a talented coach, we must face reality and quickly move on. The organization as a whole wishes Mr. Fisher the best of luck in all his future endeavors and hope he will one day be a part of our great organization in the future.

Now, you all I'm sure have speculated that Mr. Brian Schottenheimer would take over, however after speaking with Brian we as a group have decided to go in another direction. While Brian would be a fantastic head coach, we believe a fresh young face is the way this team needs to go. So, without further ado, I give you the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams, James Lynch."

Les Snead introduced the world to James Lynch. Former head coach of SE Missouri State, Lynch saw the Redhawks to consecutive Ohio Valley Conference championships, including an undefeated season in 2011. However, despite the impressive record within the OVC, many are critical of this decision, considering the huge risk of taking an unknown as well as the massive difference between coaching an FCS team and an NFL team. Mr Lynch was very brief on the podium, and only truly answered one question.

"I have a great amount of respect for Jeff Fisher and what he has done in the world of football. He and Les gathered a very talented class of rookies in the offseason, and I have absolutely no intention of mucking that up. I love what I see in this team, and I hope we can grow together into the champions I know we all are. I plan on working very closely with Brian on the offense, and with Gregg Williams still under investigation and suspension, we have officially promoted coach Frank Bush to Defensive Coordinator. It is my intention that the three of us remain in constant contact as we build towards the season, and that we will each grow with the team. Thank you for your time, I'll see you in preseason."
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Following, this could be good.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

RAMS PRESEASON OPENS WITH A WIN OVER COLTS

Even though it's preseason, St. Louis fans are celebrating a win. More importantly, they're celebrating the welcome gift Rookie QB Andrew Luck was given. On his very first pass play, Luck drops back and fires right into the open arms of Rams CB Cortland Finnegan.

"You know, I actually feel a little bad for the kid. He had a bad game, didn't know what to do with himself, and getting picked off on your first throw? Man that's gotta hurt." Finnegan, who was picked up by the Rams by Jeff Fisher, looks to be the clear cut starter at DB this year, with 2nd round pick Janoris Jenkins not far behind.

On the Rams offensive side of the ball, there were very few standouts. Isaiah Pead, another second round pick from the draft, impressed well enough to be considered the backup for Steven Jackson, barring any injuries or a surprise shot to the arm for 3rd stringer Daryl Richardson.

In roster related news, the Rams released QB Tom Brandstater, HB Chase Reynolds, WR Mike Campbell, and TE Jake McQuaid. The thought is that most of them didn't fit into coach Lynch's scheme very well. WR Steve Smith was traded to the New York Jets for their 4th round pick in the 2013 draft, with Snead and Lynch both showing their continued support in building through the draft.

St. Louis Rams at Indianapolis Colts
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
St. Louis Rams (0-0)3702535
Indianapolis Colts (0-0)014101034
Team Stats Comparison
STLIND
Total Offense344415
Rushing Yards5481
Passing Yards290334
First Downs1812
Punt Return Yards86
Kick Return Yards102100
Total Yards454521
Turnovers24
3rd Down Converstion4-164-12
4th Down Conversion3-40-0
2-Point Conversion1-10-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals2/20/1
Penalties2-155-33
Posession Time23:0424:58
St. Louis Rams
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Kellen Clemens22/4029821
Sam Bradford3/51800
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Isaiah Pead13251.91
Daryl Richardson3930
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Brian Quick888111
Chris Givens238190
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Michael Brockers8200
Cortland Finnegan1010
Quintin Mikell9011
Indianapolis Colts
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Drew Stanton19/2931843
Andrew Luck2/42401
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Mewelde Moore15402.60
Donald Brown8232.80
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Jarred Fayson511322.62
Jeremy Ross46315.71
Mewelde Moore311337.61
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Cassius Vaughn4010
Cory Reading7200
Robert Mathis6200

Spoiler
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

RAMS FINISH PRESEASON 2-2, PREPARE FOR UNDERRATED LIONS

The Rams offseason was not particularly astounding, but it was a good way to move forward for this team with such a hazy future. After cutting what most believe is dead weight, and trading away those that weren't, the Rams finished 2-2 and new head coach James Lynch seems to know who will be starting, and who has yet to earn that privilege.

"Preseason is always tricky, because you're never playing a team at 100%. That said, I feel that men like Janoris Jenkins and Michael Brockers proved over the course of the preseason that they are the men who I want on that field." Coach Lynch was his usual succinctness when asked what he would be looking to in the upcoming draft, stating that "we haven't even started the regular season, now's not the time to be talking about next year."

Of course, any team worth its salt has already started scouting, and the Rams are no different. With two first round draft picks and three fourth rounders, the Rams are hoping to turn heads in the 2013 draft.

Players Cut:
DeAngelo Peterson(TE)
Bed Guidugil(TE)
Mike McNeill(TE)
Matthew Mulligan(TE)
Greg Salas(WR)
Austin Pettis(WR)
Cornell Banks(DT)
Darell Scott(DT)
Noah Keller(MLB)
Alex Hoffman-Ellis(MLB)
Garrett Lindholm(K)
Kendric Burney(CB)
Aaron brown(OLB)
Sammy Brown(OLB)
Jamaar Jarrett(DE)

Trades:
Jerome Murphy(CB) To Eagles for 4th round Draft Pick in 2013

Games:
Chiefs beat Rams 29-20
Cowboys beat Rams 28-6
Rams beat Ravens 31-28
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Decent preseason, good luck in the regular season.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

RAMS CHASE AARIN CARROLL

Out of Florida Atlantic, Wide Receiver Aarin Carroll has been turning heads all over the NFL. The Rams in particular have shown a vested interest in the 6'5 Senior. Brad Holmes has been particular high on him, stating Carroll is "Calvin Johnson, but faster and with better hands." When asked about the possible #1 overall, head coach James Lynch was less impressed. "He's a quality player, without a doubt. But I don't know if I trust him as that high of a pick. He's a pretty unpredictable player, and I prefer my players to be better at route running." When asked about his comments, many in the NFL believe Lynch is just downplaying Carroll's potential in an effort to land the wide out at a later position.

RAMS TAME LIONS, DEFENSE REIGNS SUPREME

It wasn't even close, as the St. Louis Rams opened the season with a 23 - 6 win over the Detroit Lions. Things got off to a rocky start when Wide Receiver Danny Amendola fumbled the ball on his first catch, but the Rams were able to hold the Lions to a field goal, and when Tight End Lance Kendricks did the same on the next drive, the results wouldn't change. After the first quarter things looked very bad for the Rams offense, as they turned the ball over twice and couldn't score on a rather porous Lions secondary. However, the rest of the game was a very different story.

Early in the second quarter, the Rams were faced with a 4th and 2 situation deep in their own territory. Newly appointed head coach James Lynch rolled the dice however, and the rams converted on a quick pass play right to Denario Alexander. After this the Rams confidence began to grow as they marched down the field and eventually got their first touchdown of the day. After that the Lions couldn't keep up, with Matt Stafford throwing three interceptions and zero touchdowns. The Lions would barely be able to make it into Rams territory after the second quarter, and the defense made up for offensive failures.

"We got the win, and that's nice, but we still have a lot of work to do. We only converted three of fifteen third downs, and that is unnacceptable. There were several dropped passes, Sam Bradford was sacked too many times, and we couldn't make room for Steven Jackson to run. We can't win every game relying on the opponents Quarterback throwing interceptions." Though the Rams were almost embarrassingly bad on third down, they held the Lions to similar numbers(2-12).

With the win though comes some bad news for the team, as star Defensive End Chris Long tore his shoulder and will be out for roughly 6 weeks. "That's a huge blow. Long is a huge part of our Defense and it's hard to replace a player of his caliber. However we'll carry on and hopefully we'll be able to hold the fort down while Chris recovers."

St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
St. Louis Rams (0-0)0106723
Detroit Lions (0-0)60006
Team Stats Comparison
STLDET
Total Offense280125
Rushing Yards10211
Passing Yards178114
First Downs176
Punt Return Yards385
Kick Return Yards1672
Total Yards334202
Turnovers24
3rd Down Converstion3-152-12
4th Down Conversion2-20-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals4-50-0
Penalties4-354-35
Posession Time29:3318:27
St. Louis Rams
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Sam Bradford22/3823820
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Steven Jackson17573.30
Isaiah Pead8384.50
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Danny Amendola1214612.11
Lance Kendricks339130
Brandon Gibson33712.30
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
William Hayes3300
Quintin Mikell6010
Chris Long3200
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Greg Zuerlein3/42/21147
Detroit Lions
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Matt Stafford15/3015203
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Jahvid Best820.20
Matt Stafford3113.60
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Tony Scheffler67512.50
Nate Burleson236180
Jahvid Best3196.30
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Ndamukong Suh10300
Kyle Vanden Bosch2200
DeAndre Levy8100
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Jason Hanson2/20/0645

Last edited by marsmaker; 01-28-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Rookie

marsmaker's Arena

SKINNED ALIVE: RAMS DEMOLISH REDSKINS

2nd overall draft pick Robert Griffin the Third rolled into the Edward Jones Dome looking for a win over the team that essentially traded him away, and walked away battered, bruised, and most importantly to Rams fans, beaten.

"It's a great feeling. We all know what a great quarterback Robert Griffin is, but our defense clearly was up to the task and helped propel us to our second win. And credit where credit is due, the offense really stepped up too. This was a total win for the team," Coach Lynch was quoted as saying.

The first quarter could not have started any worse for the Redskins, as on their first play Tim Hightower fumbled the ball and rookie DT Michael Brockers leapt on it like a hungry beast. Though the Rams could not reach the end zone that drive, they were able to settle for a field goal from rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein.

The next drive for the Redskins would end in similar fashion, but this time Cortland Finnegan would take the ball on RG3's first pass play. This would be Finnegans first interception wearing the gold and blue. "I saw he was going to Garcon, and I just sorta pounced. Not a whole lot to explain."

On this drive the Rams would see the back of the end zone, however, off a catch by Tight End Lance Kendricks. Indeed, touchdowns would be the name of the game for the Rams, as they amassed three through the air, two on the ground, and one from the defense.

The game was largely always the Rams to win, though in the third the Redskins tried to bounce back and made it a six point game. However, an interception from Strong Safety Darian Stewart(who would get the Pick 6 on the very next drive) put an end to that. The Rams even got a safety on the Redskins, courtesy of, once again, Darian Stewart.

"Darian's a hell of a player, and I have to hand it to them, the Rams really tore our O-Line up. We're gonna have to go down and make some changes, but I think we've learned a lot from this game. We've learned what we can and can't do, and more importantly we've learned we can't underestimate anyone in this league. We're all here for a good reason, and any given sunday you can get any result. I still think we're the better team, we just didn't play like it."

Washington Redskins at St. Louis Rams
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Washington Redskins (0-1)0147728
St. Louis Rams (1-0)171002350
Team Stats Comparison
WASSTL
Total Offense393411
Rushing Yards11689
Passing Yards277322
First Downs1519
Punt Return Yards010
Kick Return Yards114114
Total Yards507535
Turnovers43
3rd Down Converstion75
4th Down Conversion01
2-Point Conversion00
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals2/03/1
Penalties6935
Posession Time25:1522:45
St. Louis Rams
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Sam Bradford25/3434033
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Steven Jackson18633.51
Isaiah Pead6132.21
Sam Bradford113130
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Danny Amendola1114413.11
Brandon Gibson613622.71
Danario Alexander2157.50
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Michael Brockers5400
Darian Stewart4121
Cortland Finnegan4010
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Greg Zuerlein2/26/61246
Washington Redskins
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Robert Griffin III19/3731913
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Tim Hightower14956.81
Roy Helu284.01
Robert Griffin III273.50
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Santana Moss59619.21
Pierre Garcon488220
Tim Hightower45012.50
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Stephen Bowen3100
Tanard Jackson3010
Brandon Meriweather8000
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Neil Rackers0/04/440

Last edited by marsmaker; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »