Home

Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Progression

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has extensive knowledge of the player progression in 2K5.

I have been running a bunch of simulations and tweaking ratings and years in the league in an attempt to determine how the engine works.

From my small scale testing so far I have seen that although progression is the same each year, for the most part, progression is higher, the less amount of years you have been in the league.

Today I am going to look into why some rookies do not progress. I have thought of a test I am going to run. Going to set all qbs to rookies and check progression, hopefully all will move upward. The next step will be determining if existing ratings determine the amount of progression. For this I will set all qbs to the same ratings and analyze the results.

Like I said before if anyone has any in depth knowledge of progression I would really appreciate your input
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Player Progression

After setting all Qbs to rookies, and setting all attributes for 85 I got these results for overall progression.

Kaep plus 2
dalton plus 4
bills 0
manning +1
weeden plus 6
freeman plus 2
palmer plus 5
rivers plus 2
smith plus 2
romo plus 6
tennenhill plus 4
vick plus 4
ryan plus 1
manning plus 5
gabbert plus 2
smith plus 2
stafford 0
rogers 0
newton 5
brady 4
flynn plus 3
luck plus 4
bradford plus 6
griffin plus 5
brees plus 5
roth plus 2
schaub plus 2
locker plus 4
ponder plus 2

So we already know actual statistics dont determine progression, but clearly years in league does, all QBs either improved of did not regress which is good. Can anyone find any pattern to these numbers? I thought I found one, it seems the Qb's surrounded by good players on both offence and defence only progressed a little whereas the QBs with little no help on O or D seemed to progress more. I know there are some exceptions to that trend but what do you guys think? Any patterns?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Rookie

After chaging a few qbs to different teams, I noticed that the progression was exactly the same. good thing to see was that a couple qbs did not progress the same amounts. This leads to believe that progression is fixed within a range say 4-6 overall increase. This is also dependant on years within the league. When all qbs are set to rookies they all progress, no degression.

So I think after a couple more tests with another set of rosters (to make sure ratings/attributes are not impacting progression) it will be set in stone that progression is directly tied to each player file, hardcoded if you could call it that.

This is not a huge issue as it will be possible to map out progression of players from rookie to say the 5th year in the league. And then hopefully match player files up to progession maps. For example wilson, rg3, luck etc. should be moved to the player file of bradford, weeden and palmer to ensure that they progress the most in their first year. Of course there will have to be further insight into the back end of the progression map.

Looks like it would take a lot of work to get accurate progression results, but it appears to be viable. Which I am sure is a great relief to many of you sim junkies like me who like going through multiple years with a franchise.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Rookie

So if you guys want to grab a roster that doesnt have any attributes over 100 (Gill's roster and my modified roster won't work, although you could edit it to all ratings under 100) and let me know which players progression you really think needs changing.

Just a note progression doesnt actually happen in the "player progression screen". You must simulate past pre season in the second year and go into contracts and look at overalls vs the overalls you had to begin with in year 1.

If we could identify all the players, or most of the players, who have incorrect progression maps. We should be able to change the player files and have accurate progression based on our opinions of players.

So please if you have sometime help by indentifying players who progression is just off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »