Home

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19
Ratings comparison

This is mostly for the ratings geeks (including myself), but I thought it would be interesting to compare my ratings to those Puja posted a year or so ago. I know he uses actual measurements for his and, making the 80's rosters, I can't really do that, as the numbers are not available.

I use Don Heinrich's Pro Football magazine, a couple other magazines I feel are of lesser quality and of course, the two biggies on the net- nfldatabase.com and pro-football reference.com.

I think the numbers are somewhat close, considering the methods. Below are a few prominent offensive positions are the comparisons.

While the highs and especially the lows are different, the medians and averages are relatively close. Puja's numbers are in white- my '86 numbers are in yellow. Neither of us uses attributes above 99 (except one or two here and there). The passing numbers are particularly close (PAC / PST / PRC).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QBratings2-600x175.jpg (42.2 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by dophin26; 02-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Re: Ratings comparison

This one compares our running back ratings. I thought this one was really interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBratings-752x193.jpg (45.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Finally, on the offensive side- here are our WR comparisons. Again, close, but my numbers fall slightly behind Puja's, as I have slower players overall on offense, the QB ranges are just slightly above his, and I think you'll find his defensive numbers are higher than mine.

Overall, though, the comparison is close and I'm very satisfied with my ratings, knowing most of Puja's numbers follow the baseline game numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrratings.jpg (138.3 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 12

What kind of formula do you use to get your ratings? If this is a secret and you don't want to tell everyone then don't. (you could just pm me, just kidding). Maybe it is a no-no to ask, but was just curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
MVP

dophin26's Arena

I have a chart for sacks, ints, QB pass accuracy and pass read coverage. Since I don't have access to 40 times for 80s players, I use my judgment, mixed with Don Heinrich's magazines and a few websites. Don's magazines always tell you who excels at what and who is the top cover guy, who is on his way out, etc.

I also don't use many inflated ratings (above 99) except for things like Darrell Green's speed, Barry Sander's agility, etc. Joe Montana's leadership could be above 100.

I do lower most aggressiveness on corners, but not on all of them. If I read a guy has a problem jumping passes, I jack his agg up a lot. Most are low though.

LBs generally have lower coverage skills too. 50-60s, unless they are noted to have great coverage ability.

Finally, I have a pretty good idea of what the standard ratings are and I try to stay within the bounds of those ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

Thanks for responding. I am starting to mess around with some rosters and the editor a little more so I will keep this in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »