Home

PUJA21 File Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on PUJA21 File Discussion Thread within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #873
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: PUJA21 File Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbeme23
Dolphin,

I'm not one of those guys who really minds losing (at least at sports games). As long as it's fun and challenging, I can pretty much take losses in stride. I love when the games are super close and exciting, because if I lose, I know that there was one or two plays that could've turned the game in my favor. Even when I got my a$$ torched by the Skins, I still played the game out. Luckily, they only scored two TDs in the 2nd half, compared to the 5 that they scored in the first half. I know that blowouts do happen in real life, and I'm okay with that. The one thing that I've noticed consistently in the games that I've played is my inability to stop the run. I'm no wiz-kid on defense, but I know how to take proper tackling angles, and I try not to do anything stupid. But, when I'm consistently giving up over 150 a game against any offense, while using any defense (even the good defenses like the Ravens, Steelers, Titans, etc.), I know that it more than likely has to do with the sliders that I'm using. I try not to jump the gun and make hasty conclusions based on one half or one game. I try to give it at least 3-5 games before I make an assessment. I've probably played between 15-20 games in the past week, and I'd say that I've seen at least 60-70% of those games with CPU rushing over 150 yds. I know that it can't be the rosters, because I know that Puja does everything possible to rate the players in the game as close to their real-life counterparts as possible. Again, I think it's more a case of the sliders that I'm using versus the roster itself.
If you're seeing those totals consistantly (and playing different teams now and then), I would definitely lower the rushing slider a few notches. I would do that before lowering the blocking slider, because the breakaways I usually see come from the RB busting through 2-3 tackles and then going all the way. That way your linemen can still pass and run block and the back should still get yards.

Last edited by dophin26; 11-05-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #874
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i still see subs-- my DL STM settings are designed to give them first rotation (as is often the case in real-life). On a very long drive or against hurry up offense i have seen my entire defense come in & out

i cant really comment on your overall sliders as i dont have a reference point but obviously if the gameplay is not desireable, tweak. im not a big "sliders guy" but ppl whove used the sliders i use for these rosters seem to be giving good feedback.
Right on, Puja. As long as I'm able to see some subbing on offense and defense, I'm happy. I think it just adds a little bit more realism to the experience. I'll definitely use your settings file along with the rosters and work from there. If I need to tweak, then I will. But I'll start with yours as a base.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I've noticed that Patrick Willis isn't on nearly as many defensive plays in 2K5 as on Madden. I tend to use different defensive formations based on how the offense is lining up, but I don't really stray away from the base packages. Maybe I'm just so used to seing Madden, but from what I've seen Manny Lawson will line up in the Middle LB spot, and Willis will be to his right in most packages. In some packages, it'll be Lawson and Haralson as the only two LBs in (I'd imagine this is in more pass packages). Can you think of a reason for this? I checked the depth chart and I do see that Willis and Spikes are listed as #'s 1 and 2 for ILBs, but I continually see Lawson and Haralson in there more than I see Spikes and Willis.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #875
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbeme23
On a somewhat unrelated topic, I've noticed that Patrick Willis isn't on nearly as many defensive plays in 2K5 as on Madden. I tend to use different defensive formations based on how the offense is lining up, but I don't really stray away from the base packages. Maybe I'm just so used to seing Madden, but from what I've seen Manny Lawson will line up in the Middle LB spot, and Willis will be to his right in most packages. In some packages, it'll be Lawson and Haralson as the only two LBs in (I'd imagine this is in more pass packages). Can you think of a reason for this? I checked the depth chart and I do see that Willis and Spikes are listed as #'s 1 and 2 for ILBs, but I continually see Lawson and Haralson in there more than I see Spikes and Willis.
This has to do with the playbook that's being used. I'm assuming that the depth chart is the 3-4 and that you're using the Chargers playbook. Here's the setup for the Chargers playbook -

Formation / OLB / ILB

3-4 / 2 / 2
Bear (4-3) / 1 / 2
Goalline (5-3) / 2 / 1
Nickel / 2 / 1
Dime / 2 / 0
Prevent / 1 / 0

I prefer using the Ravens playbook -

Formation / OLB / ILB

3 - 4 / 2 / 2
Nickel / 1 / 2
Dime / 1 / 1
Goalline (6-2) / 1 / 1
Bear (4-3) / 1 / 2
Prevent / 1 / 0

As you can see, using the Chargers dime formation uses both OLB's which means that the 49ers best player (Willis) is sitting on the bench. I personally use the Ravens playbook since Nolan was the DC with the Ravens and while he's gone now and Manusky is the DC, they do run more of a hybrid but I much rather use the Ravens playbook for various reasons including the fact that I dont want so many teams using the same playbook. If I use the Chargers plabook for SF, thats three teams using their playbook. DAL is the third team. You could always use the Texans playbook which is as follows -

3-4 / 2 / 2
Nickel / 2 / 1
Dime / 1 / 1
Bear (4-3) / 2 / 1
Goalline (5-3) / 2 / 1
Prevent / 1 / 0

Hope this helps you bud.

Last edited by dan77733; 11-05-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #876
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Dan,

That was EXTREMELY helpful. I had a feeling that it had to do something with the playbook that was being used, but I'm just barely getting back into 2K5, so I haven't gotten overly brave as far as making changes/tweaks and such. I had actually not really noticed it, until this weekend. I kept on wondering why Willis' tackling stats were so low throughout the games that I was playing, even though I was playing on 10 minute quarters. I then noticed that Lawson and Haralson were having between 7-10 tackles a game, and that's when I decided to start paying closer attention to it.

My next question is, how do you edit the playbooks that are being used? If I can recall correctly, isn't there an option right before you start your game that allows you to change playbooks/coaches? Or is there an easier (more permanent) solution.

Last one.....Did Puja update playbooks for every team to be comparable to their real life counterparts? I almost feel stupid for asking this because I'm sure he did, but I just wanted to clarify.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #877
MVP

OVR: 20

thanks dan that's really helpful

my playbooks were last updated heading into 2007 for the most part just to get the correct base formations... but in some cases to match the coach as well

this is why Miami is still set as a 4-3 in my test rosters. just haven't gotten to updating PB/Coaches yet
Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #878
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Cool deal, Puja. I can wait for the rest of the league as far as playbooks go, but I'd really like to have accurate playbooks for my niners. I think I'll go with Dan's suggestion of using the Raven's playbook for my 3-4 defense, but I was wondering what I should use for my offensive playbook.

I know you said you haven't updated them since last year, so that would mean Mike Martz was the O-Coordinator for the Lions at that point. Would I use the Lions playbook then?

Oh yeah, I should probably ask this now before I forget. WHERE exactly do I make these changes? That may be helpful. LOL.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #879
MVP

OVR: 20

you cant split offense & defense, only pick one of the existing playbooks or create your own for HUM use (has to be loaded prior to each game). Of the 32 teams, your choices for 3-4 base are as follows:

Chargers
Cowboys (both 3-4 & 4-3 base def)
Jets (both)
Patriots
Raiders (both)
Ravens
Steelers
Texans
Vikings (both)

everyone else is "4-3 base only," although some teams like the Bills who are "4-3 base only" do have 3-man fronts in their prevent, 3-3, etc coverages. i'm sure dan will fill you in on the details, as he doesnt miss an opportunity to filibuster at length on his depth chart, pet peaves, his franchise settings, etc... i think i know them as well as he does by now just messing around dan

oh yeah, you change them in finn's editor under options tab for each/any of the teams
Old 11-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #880
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

So, just to clarify, what you're saying is that once you pick a defensive playbook (for instance the Ravens 3-4), you also have to use the Ravens offensive playbook?

Is there a huge difference between the different team playbooks as far as play selection? I've predominatly used the 49ers, so I'm very accustomed to their plays and I was wondering if the plays are signifcantly different in other playbooks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »