Home

What's the NFL Draft like in ESPN's 2k series???

This is a discussion on What's the NFL Draft like in ESPN's 2k series??? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
What\'s the NFL Draft like in ESPN\'s 2k series???

I'm planning on picking up 2K5 this week but I've been playing Madden for the past 10 years and don't really know what the NFL 2k series is like except for a few individual games w/2k3. Here's my question: One of my favorite things to do in franchise mode w/Madden each year is the draft. I love scouting players all the way up until draft day and then having alot of info with which to make my choices.
What's the draft like in the ESPN 2k games??? Are the top 3 or 5 players chosen distinguishably better than the rest? Are rookies picked in the top 10 good enough to provide an immediate impact their first season? (e.g. is there OVR rating impressive?) Do you get to scout & gather info on the top college players available all the way up until draft day??? Once the season ends is there an option to start scouting the top college players? Is there a combine? Do they make #'s like 40yrd dash time and 225 bench press reps available?

Thanks Guys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: What\'s the NFL Draft like in ESPN\'s 2k series???

Mel Kiper will have draft previews starting from like Week 10 and on. You get rookie scouting reports a few times during the year. Once its draft time you get 4 days for the combine. You can look at many mock drafts and each player has his height weight, 40 time, 225 press, shuttle etc. Players are either moving up, holding or dropping on the draft board. It looks like you get more hours to scout this year as I saw 9 for one day on video. We may get 40 total hours over the 4 days (not sure). A player can be scouted 1 hour for coach's comments, 2 hours for comments plus general ratings and 3 hours for everything which includes projected detailed ratings. Its actually pretty good although you often find yourself only scouting the top players for your first and second round picks as the lower round guys are usually gone when you want.

The top players are really good but some positions were better than others in the past. Getting a good WR was tough last year and you really had to play him to develop him imo. This year there will be actual faces for each created rookie through face blending technology. Hope that helps and hope I didn't get anything wrong.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

I wish they would slow it down and give you the option to watch the other teams pick their players with like 30 seconds per pick before they get drafted. I hate how they just zip by so you have no idea what happened. They should still have that option, but for people who want to see whats goin on I would love to have 30 seconds before the pick was made so I would have to option to debating whether or not i wanted to trade for the pick or wait.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Not to mention a mock draft that is generated based on team needs. Pretty nice to see where exactly a player might go so you can work out trade strategy.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 14

Yea, but the real draft doesn't end up looking like the mock draft 90% of the time. I have seen some really dumb picks. Like just this past draft the #1 overall pick went to a team w/ a QB rated 85 with 5 years left on his contract, their first overall pick was for a QB. They really needed help at the RB position, the next pick was a RB who overall, right out of the draft was rated an 83. After the preseason he jumped 4 points and was rated as an 87. He was a difference maker that could have helprd the #1 pick a HUGE amount. Just for the record, their #1 pick QB is their 3rd rated QB, so he is their #3. After preseason, he was only rated a 76.

I haave gotten a few STEALS though in the draft. I drafted a guy, #59 overall that right out of the draft was rated an 84. He became my starting SS after preseason. I picked a DT at #21 overall(my third pick in the first round due to trades.) that was rated 82 out of the draft.

My draft picks in order for first round.
#9 - WR, 72 OVR-89 CAT-79 RRT-96 SPD-He has all the making of an impact WR even though his OVR is low.
#12 - CB, 75 OVR-89 SPD-75 CVR-67 TKL-A very good #3 as a rookie. I already have two good CB.(Play lotf of Nickel and Dime DEF)
#21 - DT, 82 OVR-72 PBK-84 RBK-80 TKL-73 STR-A very good DT right out of the draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Since I play a lot of text simulation football games like Front Office Football and Total Pro Football, I was very disappointed with the NFL Draft in 2k4. It felt very unexciting. But my biggest problem with it was the interface for it was VERY cumbersome. If you were scouting players by position you could only see 5 names at a time, and you had to scroll right to even see all the information on them. If that wasn't bad enough, the biggest gripe I had was that once you chose a player to scout, it sent you back to the list of all players instead of letting you stay at the position you were scouting. Hopefully this problem was taken care of this year.

Also, I felt that many incoming rookies were rated far too highly. I saw rookie running backs rated as high as 93. Also, cornerbacks came into the league with pass defense ratings that made them far too effective as rookies. I felt there were too many super quick players as well. And finally, and no offense to anyone, but it seemed that every fifth player that was generated had a Latin name. According to the Franchise Q & A incoming rookie ratings have been reworked for this years game. I am really hoping the draft process is greatly improved this season because it truly is the lifeblood of any franchise mode.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

eXperiment63 said:
Yea, but the real draft doesn't end up looking like the mock draft 90% of the time. I have seen some really dumb picks. Like just this past draft the #1 overall pick went to a team w/ a QB rated 85 with 5 years left on his contract, their first overall pick was for a QB. They really needed help at the RB position, the next pick was a RB who overall, right out of the draft was rated an 83. After the preseason he jumped 4 points and was rated as an 87. He was a difference maker that could have helprd the #1 pick a HUGE amount. Just for the record, their #1 pick QB is their 3rd rated QB, so he is their #3. After preseason, he was only rated a 76.

That't the Chargers right there. Just replace RB with OL.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXperiment63
I wish they would slow it down and give you the option to watch the other teams pick their players with like 30 seconds per pick before they get drafted. I hate how they just zip by so you have no idea what happened. They should still have that option, but for people who want to see whats goin on I would love to have 30 seconds before the pick was made so I would have to option to debating whether or not i wanted to trade for the pick or wait.
Agreed I have been trying to figure out how to slow down the draft cause I like to see who is who getting drafted and what team they go to who ever during the development of the game decided to speed up the draft needs their *** kicked

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »