Home

Will there ever be another NFL 2K?

This is a discussion on Will there ever be another NFL 2K? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Will there ever be another NFL 2K?

With all the horrendous ncaa and madden games ea has put out I just dream of the day there is say a NFL 2K10? Just imagine todays ps3 or 360 with their power and graphics, with NFL 2K? I mean ea might as well hang it up. What in the world would a redone 2K5 be on the new consoles? Will that day ever come.

I would like to add one thing, I really enjoy ncaa football but man it seems every year on those forums it gets worse but with this game the people who are over there saying how bad that is are over here still praising this game. Face it when a game is awesome we the people are gonna let you know even years later, when its bad we are gonna rip you a new one.

Last edited by smoove7; 07-27-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: 1
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Will there ever be another NFL 2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove7
With all the horrendous ncaa and madden games ea has put out I just dream of the day there is say a NFL 2K10? Just imagine todays ps3 or 360 with their power and graphics, with NFL 2K? I mean ea might as well hang it up. What in the world would a redone 2K5 be on the new consoles? Will that day ever come.

I would like to add one thing, I really enjoy ncaa football but man it seems every year on those forums it gets worse but with this game the people who are over there saying how bad that is are over here still praising this game. Face it when a game is awesome we the people are gonna let you know even years later, when its bad we are gonna rip you a new one.
Well first of all, the bastards at EA extended the license to 2013, so if there ever is another NFL 2k, it will be NFL 2k14. That is of course assuming that EA doesn't then extend it to like 2020 or something.

But i feel you man, we all want a next-gen NFL 2k, but we have a while to go. I probably won't even be playing video games anymore by the time we get one lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Man I don't know if we'll ever see another one. If they were still around today, w/out a doubt, Madden would be looked down upon the same way as NBA Live is in comparison to NBA2K. The future should be bright with interaction from the EA Devs, but how many times do we have to say, "maybe next year."
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 5

You know,Game Informer had a great article explaining how overrated ESPN NFL 2K5 was. It tickles me to this day how people seem to think that was the greatest football game ever made. Strip away the ESPN presentation and that game was nothing but NFL 2K3. Everybody dogs EA for putting out the same thing year after year,but the NFL 2K was the same thing year after year.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

If I had to put a percentage on it (based solely on my opinion and the information we have now), I'd put it at 20% or less. There are too many factors stacked against it. The NFL is happy with the situation it has now, where EA can put out a cash cow and accessible product with an established brand name, and one that they can control for content. They don't want the equivalent of "ESPN's Playmakers" coming out in videogame form, just so that some upstart can make a product that reflects the league in a negative light, trying to compete with Madden. And let's not forget the most obvious incentive for the NFL: $. You have a corporation with nothing to do with pro football paying the NFL an exclusivity fee just so they can go out and further promote the NFL through their game. You can blame EA for what they're doing to their own industry, but nobody can honestly blame the NFL.

Also, the future of 2k Sports itself is looking darker and darker. Even when they put out 2k5 and lowered the price, they still couldn't make money against Madden. Couple that with the fact that EA may very well own 2k Sports in a year or less, and well, you get the picture.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptialG
You know,Game Informer had a great article explaining how overrated ESPN NFL 2K5 was. It tickles me to this day how people seem to think that was the greatest football game ever made. Strip away the ESPN presentation and that game was nothing but NFL 2K3. Everybody dogs EA for putting out the same thing year after year,but the NFL 2K was the same thing year after year.
I read that article. They basically admitted that they were playing devil's advocate as a joke to rile up their readers. They also made fun of other critically-acclaimed titles, such as GoldenEye 64 and Gran Turismo on the same two pages.

Of course NFL 2k5 is "overrated" to the extent that people glorify it on these boards. But if you don't think 2k5 was significant in terms of sports gaming, you weren't paying attention in 2004. I wasn't a fan of the game when it was released, either. In fact, I didn't really appreciate it until last year, when I learned about Finn's editor and when it was made B/C on 360.

NFL 2k5 had many flaws (most them involve the interfacing, the poor franchise logic, and some of the pass defense A.I.), but it had improved over previous Visual Concepts efforts. The strength of thrown balls was greatly improved, and it was supposedly a visual improvement over past titles too. But I think what it does best is create a fantasy for the gamer that they are part of a Monday Night Football broadcast. That game still, to this day, has the best combination of in-game stats, replays, halftime shows, and so on. The only one that approaches it (but nobody talks about) is NBA 2k8, IMO.

But the gameplay is just fun, and you're actually in control of everything that happens. Run up the middle in Madden, and you could literally let go of the controller, and still gain 8 yards on a pre-canned animation. In 2k5, you fight for every yard with the charge/turbo button, and if you slip a tackler, it's only because of some input that YOU made.

This was a game offered something unique than Madden, and never charged a single consumer more than $19.99 at retail for the experience. And it still gives people a great experience for $1.99 or less, four years later. You're entitled to your opinion, and can have your rocket catches and pre-canned animations, I'll stick with 2k5 until Madden catches up.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

i own 5 copies of 2k5.. just so i wont ever have to worry about scratched discs..and I own 3 xboxes lol....
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunNgun034
i own 5 copies of 2k5.. just so i wont ever have to worry about scratched discs..and I own 3 xboxes lol....
I dont blame you G...From the look of it we have a very bumpy road ahead when it comes to sports franchise gaming.....I'm tired of EA doing this to me every year....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »