Home

More play by play names found - help wanted

This is a discussion on More play by play names found - help wanted within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
More play by play names found - help wanted

Hey guys, while playing my 2K7 roster with the Cowboys and returning kickoffs with RB Tyson Thompson, I noticed that the commentators would refer to Thompson as Thomason which reminds me of retired TE Jeff Thomason. This annoyed me to no end.

Anyway, I reset my roster and using the default roster, I used the in-game create a player feature. I typed in the last name first and did this with Thompson. I then checked him in-game and the commentators said Thompson. There's a clear difference between Thompson and Thomason.

The commentators only said Thompson despite the play by play name being listed as Lamont Thompson in the editor. My guess is that Thompson does exist somewhere in the unknown play by play names. I also checked Arrington and Ware. Both were said by itself in-game which means that both are available somewhere in the unknown play by play names.

I checked out other unknown play by play names and here's what I found -

unk6643 - Lamont Walker
unk6645 - Brandon Warfield
unk6651 - Weaver (forgot first name)
unk6653 - Damien West
unk6642 - Alex Wade

I have no clue who any of those players are or if they even ever existed. Here's a play by play name that I found who could be used in-game -

unk5290 - Matt Wilhelm

I put his name in the play by play index notepad document in Finn's editor and yes, his name is said during the game. Also, his photo is in-game as well. I added his photo to the player and I checked him out in 2K4 and his photo is the same. I'm guessing that a lot of the play by play names and photos were from 2K4. The photo for Wilhelm is unk5290.

The funny thing is that the play by play name and the photo's are all linked together. They all have the same coding when you look at them in the editor. Wilhelm has the same coding for both the play by play and the photo.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to find out more play by play names that are hidden in the "unknown" section. Now, there were some that just made the commentators say the jersey number which means that they are worthless but I do think that there are other play by play names that can be used. We just need to find them

If anyone is looking to help me out, let me know and it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by dan77733; 01-13-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: More play by play names found - help wanted

that's interesting dan-- i remember one time i saw wilhelm's pic online (like ESPN or yahoo) & immediately recognized it from the game....

eg i remembered it from the draft class where they tweak the skin tone or hair of existing photos to create "generic" photos

nice find

also, i bet finn can help us w/ this-- remember how he offered to set the UNK pictures to active? if we asked him, i think he could use his "special editor" & post a file where the UNK photos & matching PBP were already linked to players starting at the beginning w/ the first 49ers player alphabetically & continuing thru the league

Last edited by puja21; 01-13-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
that's interesting dan-- i remember one time i saw wilhelm's pic online (like ESPN or yahoo) & immediately recognized it from the game....

eg i remembered it from the draft class where they tweak the skin tone or hair of existing photos to create "generic" photos

nice find

also, i bet finn can help us w/ this-- remember how he offered to set the UNK pictures to active? if we asked him, i think he could use his "special editor" & post a file where the UNK photos & matching PBP were already linked to players starting at the beginning w/ the first 49ers player alphabetically & continuing thru the league
I checked Wilhelm's photo at nfl.com and it's definitely him. I knew that he wasnt in my 2K7 roster file but I checked your 2K8 roster file and you have him as the starting ILB with a rating of 67. I added his play by play and photo code in the notepad index in the editor's configuration folder and sure enough, it shows up in the list when you select the play by play and the photo in the editor. Wilhelm's photo and play by play were said during gameplay.

I dont remember Finn saying that he was able to set the UNK photos to "active" but if it's possible to where at the very least, I know what PBP names contain an actual name, I would be able to add them in the notepad index in the configuration folder of the editor. I simply added Wilhelm (as seen below as it appears in the notepad index) by putting his last name first and then his first name and then the code number that makes the game say that set play by play.

Wilfork, Vince=6658
Wilhelm, Matt=5290
Wilkerson, Jimmy=5291

There's approx. 10,000 UNK play by play names with the missing ones being attached to the players that are listed. I'm sure that there's a lot of the UNK play by play names that are useless but im 90% sure that the last name for players like Ware, Arrington, Thompson, etc. are there somewhere. It's just going to be a pain in the *** to find them all.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
MVP

i also remember stumbling on another PBP name whenever it was i was trying to find that Wilhelm pic (last spring maybe?). i believe it was "Booker"

and i will of course help with this during the offseason, dan. hopefully others will too
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
I dont remember Finn saying that he was able to set the UNK photos to "active"
i misquoted him actually. this is what finn said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I can provide gamesaves with every player in the saves with their photo replaced to an unkXXXX photo.
so, that helps some just not as much as what i remembered

it was from that thread about the guy finding pictures for retired players (Cris Carter, Bruce Smith, Rocket Ismail etc):
http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=232146
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

thats a good find.
i just thought the UNKnumbers were those generated pics for rookies.

i never played 2k4 but maybe if someone had a look at that game for player pics might see some for players without pics on 2k5.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i also remember stumbling on another PBP name whenever it was i was trying to find that Wilhelm pic (last spring maybe?). i believe it was "Booker"

and i will of course help with this during the offseason, dan. hopefully others will too
Thanks puja.

And 'booker" is in the PBP. As is Rolle, Ware, Arrington, Claridge and others im sure. I found out how to check the PBP name to see if it's in-game. Use the in-game CAP feature to check last names but only type in the last name.

Leave the first name as "first". Make the CAP a RB because it's faster to check him in-game. I usually put the CAP on kick returns because the commentator will say his name when returning back the kick. If there's a first name attached like there is with the unkPBP, the second commentator will say the full name after the return is over.

I was hoping Gore was in there but sadly, it isnt. Oh well. And I found another PBP name - Bob Christian which if I remember correctly was the Falcons FB years ago.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
MVP

good find w/ the leaving the first name blank

i have a list of "common" names (like booker) that i always felt should logically have been in the last-name only PBP list

now i can test them all

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »