Home

Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Cord cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
Got OTA antenna and I feel like the picture with the antenna looks better than what DISH gave me, I do have a problem though. I can't find CBS anywhere when my TV searches channels if doesn't even come up and NBC isbt 6-1, it's 5-1. The rest of the channels seem right. So weird. Any idea what's wrong or how to get CBS?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DISH compresses the signal a lot, so OTA will be better, but not everyone would notice.

Check where you live on the antennaweb site posted earlier. It will tell you the channel #, how far away it is, and signal type and location. You may need to adjust the location or direction of the antenna to get the signal or you may have to get a bigger antenna.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #34
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Got OTA antenna and I feel like the picture with the antenna looks better than what DISH gave me, I do have a problem though. I can't find CBS anywhere when my TV searches channels if doesn't even come up and NBC isbt 6-1, it's 5-1. The rest of the channels seem right. So weird. Any idea what's wrong or how to get CBS?

I have the same issue sometimes. Even though in Dallas every major channel comes from literally same cluster of antennas random channels will decide to be iffy.

I use an antenna that is easily adjustable. Not a fan of the flat antennas that just mount flat to a wall.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
DISH compresses the signal a lot, so OTA will be better, but not everyone would notice.

Check where you live on the antennaweb site posted earlier. It will tell you the channel #, how far away it is, and signal type and location. You may need to adjust the location or direction of the antenna to get the signal or you may have to get a bigger antenna.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
I have the same issue sometimes. Even though in Dallas every major channel comes from literally same cluster of antennas random channels will decide to be iffy.

I use an antenna that is easily adjustable. Not a fan of the flat antennas that just mount flat to a wall.
So weird. Local CBS tower is closer than NBC, FOX and ABC in my area. When searching with my TV the CBS channel doesn't even show up. Going to put a damper on my plans if I cannot get CBS.

EDIT: I also don't mind spending a bit more. I could get the 50 mile radius antenna from the same company and see if that does the trick.

This is what TV FOOL says -
ABC - 20.6 miles
CBS - 21.7 miles
FOX - 22.3 miles
NBC - 25.2 miles

Last edited by Brandwin; 07-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #36
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

Quote:
So weird. Local CBS tower is closer than NBC, FOX and ABC in my area. When searching with my TV the CBS channel doesn't even show up. Going to put a damper on my plans if I cannot get CBS.

EDIT: I also don't mind spending a bit more. I could get the 50 mile radius antenna from the same company and see if that does the trick.

This is what TV FOOL says -
ABC - 20.6 miles
CBS - 21.7 miles
FOX - 22.3 miles
NBC - 25.2 miles
What antenna did you get?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
What antenna did you get?
Mohu Leaf 30 Indoor HDTV antenna.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #38
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

I am about 22 miles away from the broadcast towers and get every channel despite my antenna having to pick up a signal through the multiple walls. I would try a set of rabbit ears, or try making your own antenna. I did some research on DIY antennas and the consensus was the popular designs out there are very effective. Rabbit ears would at least let you adjust on the fly. I use a 20 year old radio shack antenna.

Your TV should have a signal meter built into the menus somewhere (maybe). Play around with that, make sure to adjust, then go sit down before reading the meter.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #39
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Mohu Leaf 30 Indoor HDTV antenna.
Try grabbing the 50.

I have issues picking up ABC. I get FOX, NBC, CBS & CW, so i'm all set since I can watch most college football through the WatchESPN.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Try grabbing the 50.

I have issues picking up ABC. I get FOX, NBC, CBS & CW, so i'm all set since I can watch most college football through the WatchESPN.
Someone on Reddit told me the Leaf is really bad at VHF channels and that is what my local CBS is. He gave me alternate HDTV antennas. two being Winegard models for about the same price I paid for Leaf. I dunno too much!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »