Home

PES 2017 & 2018

This is a discussion on PES 2017 & 2018 within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
PES 2017 & 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
The AI positioning and general strategy in 2017 makes everything that came after it awful (I haven't played 2019 but have not heard the best things). They don't immediately move up the pitch, and they don't try and find the striker with a long pass immediately.

They try and break you down—it's wonderful.

I got back into PES this year for the first time since ‘14. PES 2020 may have its flaws but it’s still better than FIFA. However, after following this thread these last few days I’ve only gone and ordered PES 2017 off amazon just to see how different and good it is. I’ve been trying to adapt to full manual on 20 but I’ve read a few comments elsewhere that the latest update with DP8 doesn’t do it any favors. Looking forward to seeing how ‘17 plays.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 07-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #18
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2017 & 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabraves
I got back into PES this year for the first time since ‘14. PES 2020 may have its flaws but it’s still better than FIFA. However, after following this thread these last few days I’ve only gone and ordered PES 2017 off amazon just to see how different and good it is. I’ve been trying to adapt to full manual on 20 but I’ve read a few comments elsewhere that the latest update with DP8 doesn’t do it any favors. Looking forward to seeing how ‘17 plays.

Just be sure to temper your expectations coming to it from PES 20 as it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as that game especially the player models and the pitch. Also the game is a faster (recommend putting on -1 speed) and it is missing those amazing ball physics. However, the player positioning and attacking variety from the CPU is really great and the AI closes down and presses more aggressively.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #19
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Yeah, going from 2020 to 2017 can feel like you just loaded up a PS3 game, but it looks better than the PS3 version, which I also have and started up last week.

The AI just feels so much better, and while I've gotten 2018 to play better by setting up my defense better to make the AI attack me more realistically, 2018 still seems to have something that I haven't experienced in 2017.

Those moments when the AI just flips a switch, and scores absurd goals on you and you feel like you don't have control in a way. I don't know, I just don't see it in 2017 right now—it's far more like an actual game of football, and not a video game trying to beat you.

I'm currently inputting Premier League tactics, and then I think I'm going to do a Premier League save, not ML, just a league mode.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #20
Pro

PES 2017 & 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
Yeah, going from 2020 to 2017 can feel like you just loaded up a PS3 game, but it looks better than the PS3 version, which I also have and started up last week.

The AI just feels so much better, and while I've gotten 2018 to play better by setting up my defense better to make the AI attack me more realistically, 2018 still seems to have something that I haven't experienced in 2017.

Those moments when the AI just flips a switch, and scores absurd goals on you and you feel like you don't have control in a way. I don't know, I just don't see it in 2017 right now—it's far more like an actual game of football, and not a video game trying to beat you.

I'm currently inputting Premier League tactics, and then I think I'm going to do a Premier League save, not ML, just a league mode.

I have a Premier League controlling every team on the go with PES 2020. I’m trying to adapt to manual passing but I have good days and then some pretty rank days. When I play well with it, it’s a joy to play but when I hit the brick wall it’s just so frustrating. The gap between defense and the attack at times is really off putting so having been away from PES since ‘14 I’m interested in seeing how ‘17 played with better AI. Let’s hope Konami get their together with the next gen edition for ‘22 given they are basically taking a year out.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #21
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

There's something just almost magical about 2017. Perhaps it's just after being frustrated by years of games that came after it, so returning to it feels great as it does the basics so well.

I'm two games into a league, and it's just so damn fun. Teams play differently, which means you have to alter how you're playing, who you're using, etc.

I'm not even using any updated data packs, etc (the servers are offline and I deleted all the saved game data years ago from my PS4). Some transfers are missing, but I don't care, as the gameplay is that rewarding right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 AM   #22

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

PES 2017 and FIFA 17 are probably my two favorite games in both series this gen. Before both totally screwed up the AI to benefit esports.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:28 AM   #23
Rookie

still playing 18. My laptop is not so powerful for 19 or 20
Old 08-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #24
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

Would you be willing to expound a little for me?

I've been pretty diehard about PES 2017. I'm still playing in, and I really enjoy it. It's always felt like the games are organic and unique.

I want to say I played a little of the demo for 2018, but never touched 2019 or 2020.

I'd love to see someone do a neutral synapsis on what each iteration of the game did/didn't do well. Maybe a pro/con type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
PES 2017 and FIFA 17 are probably my two favorite games in both series this gen. Before both totally screwed up the AI to benefit esports.

Last edited by jmel07; 08-13-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »