Home

PES 2019 Review

This is a discussion on PES 2019 Review within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
PES 2019 Review

Releasing nearly a month ahead of its competitor, Konami has taken an aggressive approach in hopes...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Great review, without patching the AI issues not recommended.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
The CPU shoots from distance against me on a regular basis, on both Top Player and Superstar.* If there's anything predictable about their attack it's the high number of low crosses, and the overall lack of creativity with the dribble that has always plagued both footy games.* Lots of quick passing but never much in the way of masterful skill moves.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PES 2019 Review

Great review. I've enjoyed playing PES 2019 - the feel on the ball and the challenge of breaking down the CPU's defense is superb - but the AI issues run deep and I can't see this game sustaining me for long.

The only big issue I'd take with the review is that some of the gameplay elements you praised aren't nearly as enjoyable or as well executed on the higher difficulties.

For example, with first touch, on Superstar the limitations of the system become problematic as you can't move your body or shield quickly enough to prevent a CPU defender from stealing the ball. With dribbling, you mention being able to manipulate a defender's momentum, but on the higher difficulty settings I too often see CPU defenders react unrealistically, and sometimes they don't react to a skill move at all. Also, close control dribbling isn't great this year and the whole backpedal dribbling mechanic needs to go.

Another issue I've noticed recently as I moved up to Superstar is that while the tackling mechanics are fine (though rudimentary), I'm ending games with very few tackles against the CPU. Overall, defending I'm finding is more an exercise in frustration (partly due to having to watch the stupid decisions of the attacking CPU AI) and it's just not right.

Definitely agree that the heights of this game are unreal, even jaw-dropping at times. But it's an extremely mixed experience with some deep gameplay flaws, and you're absolutely right that what Konami is providing off the pitch is quite simply inexcusable for 2018.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalMindz
Great review. I've enjoyed playing PES 2019 - the feel on the ball and the challenge of breaking down the CPU's defense is superb - but the AI issues run deep and I can't see this game sustaining me for long.

The only big issue I'd take with the review is that some of the gameplay elements you praised aren't nearly as enjoyable or as well executed on the higher difficulties.

For example, with first touch, on Superstar the limitations of the system become problematic as you can't move your body or shield quickly enough to prevent a CPU defender from stealing the ball. With dribbling, you mention being able to manipulate a defender's momentum, but on the higher difficulty settings I too often see CPU defenders react unrealistically, and sometimes they don't react to a skill move at all. Also, close control dribbling isn't great this year and the whole backpedal dribbling mechanic needs to go.

Another issue I've noticed recently as I moved up to Superstar is that while the tackling mechanics are fine (though rudimentary), I'm ending games with very few tackles against the CPU. Overall, defending I'm finding is more an exercise in frustration (partly due to having to watch the stupid decisions of the attacking CPU AI) and it's just not right.

Definitely agree that the heights of this game are unreal, even jaw-dropping at times. But it's an extremely mixed experience with some deep gameplay flaws, and you're absolutely right that what Konami is providing off the pitch is quite simply inexcusable for 2018.
Thanks!

In regards to the 1st touch, yeah, that's where I would want a shielding command so I can put my player's body in-between the the ball and the defender. I'm getting better with close control and I've found that it helps make your player more responsive. For example, if your facing your own goal, instead of trying to turn with just the left stick, I hit the R2 and he puts his foot on the ball and turns much quicker. But yeah, when you're in traffic, especially against another human, close control is pretty useless.

Yeah the higher you go up in difficulty level, the more unrealistic the CPU plays in terms of playing "over their ratings". I wish they played smarter instead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

I’m loving the game overall. Certainly has its warts but what game doesn’t?

I understand the complaints of long shooting and low crosses, but I consider myself either oblivious or lucky regarding the low cross.

Yes, I certainly can see how the CPU loves it. I rarely defend the wings, choosing to let the CPU teammate pressure, and to me this reduces the frequency quite a bit. I see a nice variety in attack.

I would say the most pressing issue is the lack of aggression from the cpu on the counter. Clear 2v1 or even breakaways where the CPU lets you back in the play.

All in all, it’s been a blast for me. Haven’t played the series on PS4 at all, and it’s got a lot of what I wish FIFA had. Heck the fouls alone are worth the buy!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Great review as always, one thing I hope Konami focus on is no more black screens as it just takes you out of the moment sometimes to me its even more noticeable in the demo with quick subs. I like how Fifa keeps the action going whenever the ball goes out of play or even a substitute. Also I really hope they release the Center Backs and let them actually cross the half way line especially when you have teams defending with 10 men behind the ball.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Great review as always, one thing I hope Konami focus on is no more black screens as it just takes you out of the moment sometimes to me its even more noticeable in the demo with quick subs. I like how Fifa keeps the action going whenever the ball goes out of play or even a substitute. Also I really hope they release the Center Backs and let them actually cross the half way line especially when you have teams defending with 10 men behind the ball.
Thanks Royce!

The A/D levels work much better this year at throwing numbers forward/back. Because of this, you can actually pin teams back and some teams are set to defend deep/concede possession so you can involve your CBs in the attack. When you face a team like this you'll end up with 70% possession but it's very fun trying to break them down. It reminds me of Chelsea vs Newcastle/Bournemouth where you work the ball around quickly trying to create a numbers advantage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »