Home

All manual on Professional level is where it's at its best

This is a discussion on All manual on Professional level is where it's at its best within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
All manual on Professional level is where it's at its best

Spent countless hours with both demo and full game and I am now convinced that in order to fully enjoy the game (or at least avoid some of the frustration), I need to play with full manual controls on Professional difficulty.
Based on my observations, what that does is the following:

For USER
- You get more unpredictable passes – it introduced a level of uncertainty and error which is akin to real life.
- Even at level 1, pass assistance is too assisted. As an example, go to Training and try passing the ball between two players with pass assistance at 1. No matter how long you hold the button and no matter what direction you apply, you passes will be identical, both in terms of speed and trajectory.
- I have found that by having assist on 1, the games are too repetitive, too predictable and ultimately unsatisfying (even when I win).
- By removing pass assistance, you are forced to think. Also, you get situations which you would not normally experience with pass assist of 1.
- Shooting on manual allows for some incredibly interesting situations – lots of great shots from outside the area, garbage goals on rebounds, etc. – reminiscent of real life situations. You also get incredible misses, but that’s what makes a game exciting IMO.
- The game is choppier, with frequent changes of possession, thus less predictable, and ultimately more fun.
- Cons here are that crosses are very hard to execute precisely but that’s the price to pay for a much more realistic gameplay.
- Yes, you will be frustrated with some passes going astray (even easy passes) but this is how football is in real life if you think about it.

For CPU
- In order to balance out the error element introduced with manual controls, you must drop the CPU level to Professional.
- On Professional level, the CPU will also make errors in their passing and their shooting accuracy drops dramatically.
- Unfortunately, the problem with the CPU’s irritating 20 yard pin point pass to the flanks and CFs (even when under pressure) is still present, but it is less effective (I am still trying to figure out ways to reduce this).
- There are more midfield battles and midfield is a factor now (in contrast to roaming through huge empty spaces when you have pass assistance).
- I can play 20 minute games with realistic stats and realistic number of goals. Last night I played 3 games between Napoli and Liverpool. First game ended 1:0 to me, second game was 3:1 to the CPU and third game was 0:0.

It’s not perfect, and at times it’s incredible irritating. I have situations where I pass to a teammate, but the AI does not recognise that that’s what I intended to do and as result the recipient does not engage and the ball sails past their foot. Also, the player switching is still a big problem in this game. This is very evident when you lose the ball. Another teammate could be literally one pace away from the ball, but he will make no attempt to get the ball, purely because the AI has switched to a further player, even though you have pressed L1. But when you score a goal, it feels like you’ve earned it, it feels you applied some strategic thought rather than relying on help via pin point passes. Ironically the manual pass actually offers you more strategic opportunities, because when executed correctly, it is more devastating and somehow throws the CPU off.

Last edited by iaxy; 09-22-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: All manual on Professional level is where it's at its best

I have found the exact same thing. I am 75% into my first ML season, and I have played with every difficulty Pro-Superstar. Superstar makes all the poor teams amazing and to a lesser degree Top Player does the same, albeit it is more manageable. For a time I set all my Home Matches to Pro, and away to Top Player. After sometime I went back to straight pro, because it was challenging enough for my 3 star team.

Pro makes players play toward their rating more, while the higher difficulties (Superstar Especially) circumvent ratings during crucial times. Example, I was on a clean breakaway and the CPU defender miraculously (motion shifted) caught up to me and his arms cut through my forehead in order to make a tackle.

Pro Unassisted has saved the game for me for sure.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

A LingeringRegime siting! Good to see post. But iaxy I agree I just sharing this with another member here but this is where I am sticking with at the moment with the CPU. It still has issues but right now it is where the game is the most playable for me especially when it comes to shooting and passing as you see a lot more misses and stray passes.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I do like Professional, however when it's easy...it's really easy to break through the CPU's defense.

Something with PES is that there is no sense of a zonal set up from sideline-to-sideline. There is only a slight bit of it from the defensive line when they let the attacker get goal-side and somehow not get offsides. This makes the game very linear and end-to-end; especially on higher difficulties - which is why Pro may be the best route to work from.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

I was thinking about starting my ML this weekend, and I think I'm going to take your advice and do it with manual. Seems like the best way to keep the game challenging without ramping up the difficulty, ie: letting the CPU cheat (more).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Inter1's Arena

Started a new ML with manual passing and shooting with Torino. Went from top match down to pro setting, and had the best match on 2018 yet. Won 1-0 in extra time as both late subs Valdifiori and Niang payed dividends on a sweet placed shot in the box low under the keeper's dive. Plenty of fouls and 4 yellows combined which was awesome. Saw some new animations as well!! Wouldn't expect that at all moving down a level. Also nice to be under 80 percent passing since I still suck with the manual pass. Will be only playing like this from now on however.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter1
Started a new ML with manual passing and shooting with Torino. Went from top match down to pro setting, and had the best match on 2018 yet. Won 1-0 in extra time as both late subs Valdifiori and Niang payed dividends on a sweet placed shot in the box low under the keeper's dive. Plenty of fouls and 4 yellows combined which was awesome. Saw some new animations as well!! Wouldn't expect that at all moving down a level. Also nice to be under 80 percent passing since I still suck with the manual pass. Will be only playing like this from now on however.
Glad you are enjoying it. Manual / Pro saved the game for me. Like you, I am seeing new animations, especially scissor kicks and volleys (a result of overhitting the crosses). After plating like this for 10 games or so, I compared again to Assist at 1 and Superstar and won 3:0 without even breaking a sweat - more importantly I hated the predictability. Went back to Manual / Pro and had an amazing 20 minute game which ended 0:0. Staying like this from now on.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

I've used manual for years, and 2018 manual passing very inaccurate compared to previous PES so I set to level to assisted for now (level 1 is kinda broken), but shooting with the marker is pretty good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »