Home

Help out a basketball fan

This is a discussion on Help out a basketball fan within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Help out a basketball fan

iwell first of all, this was my first time playing pes and im having a blast so far.

i can win some games but only at the default dificulty and im playing real madrid vs the athletic team.

My first question will be when should i use the long pass because i did not have any success using it?

Is the career mode good? How does it compare to fifa? (not that i played that)

How do i control my shot? whats a nutmeg or knucklehead?

So far, im not having much success creating my own shot using messi, most goals i did came from a turnover.

This game is awesome, you cant abuse the turbo button and no game is the same even if im playing against the same team. Looks like ill be torned between this and nba 2k13
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Help out a basketball fan

I would say that like any realistic sports game, if you want to become good at it and understand the game you need to watch the sport and understand it. So that's my main suggestion, starts watching the beautiful game.

1. You should use the long pass mainly to quickly get the ball across to the other side of pitch of you have an open man.

2. I've never owned PES either but from my understanding the manager mode and player modes are pretty good.

3. Control your shot by aiming the left stick in the direction you want the shot to go.

4. A nutmeg is when you force a defender to make a mistake then take the ball past him by putting it through his legs. KInd of like an anklebreaker in basketball I guess.

5. I've never heard the term knucklehead in my life.

6. Remember tha in football possesion is king and sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards. You need to have patience in your build up play. Really this is the sort of thing that comes with time playing and simply watching football.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kfanatic
iwell first of all, this was my first time playing pes and im having a blast so far.

i can win some games but only at the default dificulty and im playing real madrid vs the athletic team.

My first question will be when should i use the long pass because i did not have any success using it?

Is the career mode good? How does it compare to fifa? (not that i played that)

How do i control my shot? whats a nutmeg or knucklehead?

So far, im not having much success creating my own shot using messi, most goals i did came from a turnover.

This game is awesome, you cant abuse the turbo button and no game is the same even if im playing against the same team. Looks like ill be torned between this and nba 2k13
First of all Welcome to PES my friend, is this your first soccer game, if it is I commend you for using PES to take your dive into the genre.

Now on to your questions:

1. Using Long Passes are very effective but it all depends on your team, your opponent and your playing style. One of the first great ways of using longs passes are when you want to switch sides/flanks. A good tactic to use is creating space on the far side of the pitching then playing a long pass the opposite side for a quick attack or it can be used for just keeping possession.

Of course long passes are effective or less effective depending on the stats of the player, so you have to take that in to account. Someone like Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, and Xavi are amazing at long passing so look to play those long through passes with someone like them.

2. For career mode I personally think it is alright, but a lot of people love it. I feel that FIFA's is a little more polished though except is missing the Champions League license which PES has. My preferred mode is Be A Legend, however here is an article I link to most people that ask about Master League and what to expect.

http://www.made2game.com/articles/Re...League-review/

3. On controlling shots, this all depends on if you are using manual or not. Manual shooting gives you more control on how you want to shoot these can all be tweaked in the control settings. As far knuckleheads lol, I think you mean knuckle shots that is basically a shot that has no spin on it so it creates unpredictable movements in the air. How to do it in-game can be explained in the training mode which is very helpful. The same goes for the nutmeg shot which is basically intentionally shooting through an opponents legs.

4. One last thing if you are trouble creating goals I recommend taking your time and passing is around and waiting for your teammates to make runs and create space for you. You can do this well with teams like Barcelona, Juventus, and Madrid so just look out for your players supporting you when your on the ball because the movement you see players make in this game is really incredible also make sure you use your mini map it is very useful and the more you play you will get use to using it efficiently.

Overall, good luck and I let me know how you do!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Yeah I know the "sometimes you need to come backwards to go forward" thing and I think i'm over using it. I guess I need to master the manual passing because I have been scoring beautiful goals when using the manual passing.

So far I really don't know when to use a long pass so I just use the normal and through pass. The cpu usually score goals at me by passing a long pass then headbutt or bicycle kick (sorry I don't know the terms). How do I defend a long pass?

The game is awesome, although I have only been watching the highlights in youtube but I think messi runs and shoot like he does in real life.

But I really can't shoot a fast kick type of goal, I usually overshoot if I hold the square buttin (ps3).

Where can I get an info about the be a legend mode? is it like nba 2k myplayer mode?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys!!

Yeah I know the "sometimes you need to come backwards to go forward" thing and I think i'm over using it. I guess I need to master the manual passing because I have been scoring beautiful goals when using the manual passing.

So far I really don't know when to use a long pass so I just use the normal and through pass. The cpu usually score goals at me by passing a long pass then headbutt or bicycle kick (sorry I don't know the terms). How do I defend a long pass?

The game is awesome, although I have only been watching the highlights in youtube but I think messi runs and shoot like he does in real life.

But I really can't shoot a fast kick type of goal, I usually overshoot if I hold the square buttin (ps3).

Where can I get an info about the be a legend mode? is it like nba 2k myplayer mode?
To defend against long balls you can use R1+R2 to super-cancel which allows you to move fight for position to defend those to of passes.

As for Be A Legend mode, yes I would compare it to My Player mode.
You start off on a lower ranking team and try to break into the first team squad and from there on it is history. Plus if your guy gets good enough you can get a call up to play on national team friendlies and even qualifiers that lead up to the World Cup and eventually represent your country in that tournament and that is always a great feeling when that happens.

Plus in Be A Legend you really get to see the gameplay in it's best moments, and I can only imagine how it will be this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Rookie

I just bumped up the difficulty to professional and man its tough. Even versus the athletic team I can't score and they can score 3 goals at me if I played lousy defense. The AI is so good and sometimes my goalie does stupid saves but my defense is not good yet so I guess I should not blame it on my goalie.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

Quote:
I just bumped up the difficulty to professional and man its tough. Even versus the athletic team I can't score and they can score 3 goals at me if I played lousy defense. The AI is so good and sometimes my goalie does stupid saves but my defense is not good yet so I guess I should not blame it on my goalie.
One important tip to improve your defending; try to focus on covering passing lanes with the player and let your CPU defenders do the work sometimes. I only go in for tackles when I know I can make the tackle.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
One important tip to improve your defending; try to focus on covering passing lanes with the player and let your CPU defenders do the work sometimes. I only go in for tackles when I know I can make the tackle.
How about on offense man? In pro difficulty I just don't know when is the proper time to attack and almost all their goals comes from a failed attack from me. And should I only release the square button when the meter is green?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »