Home

Slowing the pace suggestions

This is a discussion on Slowing the pace suggestions within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

OVR: 0
Slowing the pace suggestions

Any suggestions on how to sorta slow the pace of fights down a little. When i engage in the clinch up against the cage there doesnt seem like theres any way to stall a bit and work in some shots. The AI seems to spin out of it very quickly and I'm unsure how to hold them in place and spend more than just 2 seconds pressing them up against the cage. Same goes with clinching away from the fence. When I get pulled into a clinch it feels kinda chaotic and rushed. I'll try to punch my way out or back away to get out but i feel like the AI is latched on for a few seonds. On the other hand, if i engage the clinch it seems like they rip right out of it most times before i can even get off more than one shot.

I'd like a little realism and not have every clinch exchange with the AI to end up like Takayama-Frye. Any suggestions? I must be doing something wrong. Am I missing how to block an escape against the cage or how to keep the AI in my clinch a little longer than a nano second?

Oh...is there a way to block the clinch transition where I end up bent over and taking knees to the skull with no course of action other than backing away or blocking? Are thos emy only 2 choices? Thanks!!

Last edited by Irish0331; 12-07-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Slowing the pace suggestions

You're not meant to do that. It's a deliberate choice on the developers' part. UFC 3 allows you to slow things down, however, especially against the cage. You can do it in the open too, but cage clinching is where slowing the pace down works best in that game.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
You're not meant to do that. It's a deliberate choice on the developers' part. UFC 3 allows you to slow things down, however, especially against the cage. You can do it in the open too, but cage clinching is where slowing the pace down works best in that game.
That sucks. Pressing an opponent up against the cage and pummelling and hand fighting happens ALL THE TIME. Appreciate the info, thanks.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Another way to cater to high pressure fighters.

In UFC 3 I could use the clinch to defend against, and to slow down high pressure guys, in UFC 4 the clinch is a tool FOR the high pressure guys.

It's backwards.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 12-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Another way to cater to high pressure fighters.

In UFC 3 I could use the clinch to defend against, and to slow down high pressure guys, in UFC 4 the clinch is a tool FOR the high pressure guys.

It's backwards.
Yeah this is a disappointing part of clinch now.

The best way I found to counter clinch is move into them when they throw strikes and then when it's a stalemate transition into single under or go for rocks.

Apparently double unders was removed because it was largely a control position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
EA Sports UFC Developer

This was not done to give preassure fighters any advantage, nor were any positions intentionally removed for any reason.

We rebuilt clinch from the ground up with a new engine, which necessitated entirely new animations and content, and we didn't have the resources to add all the positions we had before. The goal of the new system was to make clinch more dynamic and smooth, as it honestly is in real fights.

Yes, against the cage fighters often grind and hold their opponents longer than you can in ours, but when two fighters are hugging it out, so to speak, that's a mutual effort. That can happen in our game just fine, but it takes two. If you have someone clinched irl and they're backing up and actively trying to get out, they will. It's very hard to actually hold someone there against their will, without a cage behind them.

But ya know.... we never do anything for 'real' MMA fans.... Don't discount how much the behavior of real fighters impacts the appearance of a 'real' fight compared to people playing a video game.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
This was not done to give preassure fighters any advantage, nor were any positions intentionally removed for any reason.

We rebuilt clinch from the ground up with a new engine, which necessitated entirely new animations and content, and we didn't have the resources to add all the positions we had before. The goal of the new system was to make clinch more dynamic and smooth, as it honestly is in real fights.

Yes, against the cage fighters often grind and hold their opponents longer than you can in ours, but when two fighters are hugging it out, so to speak, that's a mutual effort. That can happen in our game just fine, but it takes two. If you have someone clinched irl and they're backing up and actively trying to get out, they will. It's very hard to actually hold someone there against their will, without a cage behind them.
That’s definitely true in the middle of the cage like you said. Against the cage is not too different to holding someone on the ground tho but you can still do that. I think a control position like double unders is preferable to making the single under position last longer due to damage.

Adding back single collar/thai against the cage would be useful. It would be better visually too since the fighter would naturally stay in position rather than transitioning into single under every time.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet

But ya know.... we never do anything for 'real' MMA fans.... Don't discount how much the behavior of real fighters impacts the appearance of a 'real' fight compared to people playing a video game.
Would you agree that if given the time to add double unders against the cage, if it were added it would make sense for it to be harder to get off the cage in this game?

Of course fighters don't just chill out on the cage and let people hold them there. Except sometimes they do. Because they have to conserve stamina, etc...

They do by choice to preserve their chances later in the fight. Give up a round so they can maybe go for the knockout early in the next round.

A good example is that Usman-Masvidal fight. Stipe-Cormeir 3 also. You have to do the early work (footwork to stay inside the black lines) or if a good clincher gets double unders on you against the cage you're going to have to sacrifice something to get out (stamina or position).

Without this being in the game, it is by default easier to get off the cage than it would be IRL for certain types of fighters.

Imagine a world where it was illegal to perform double unders in MMA IRL. That could have dramatically altered the outcome of Stipe-Cormier 3.

These are the types of long term choices some players would like to make in the game. Right now the game forces you to think moment-to-moment without giving you a ton of tools to methodically work your way through a five round fight and force your opponent to fight your fight (IMO).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »