Home

Is The Game Dangerous Enough?

This is a discussion on Is The Game Dangerous Enough? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is The Game Dangerous Enough?

Serious question....

When facing against fighters known for their one shot ability to hurt or KO opponents, does this game represent that well?

Does this game, to you, feel like one shot can turn the fight around?

When facing fighters like Anthony Rumble Johnson, Francis Ngannou, Cody Garbrandt, Conor McGregor, Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley, Rampage Jackson, DAN HENDERSON, etc., do you feel like you need to play it safe because one punch can put you out cold?

I don't feel like you have to respect someone's power enough on this game.

There's not enough OH SNAP! moments where one punch clipped you with FULL HEALTH, FULL STAMINA, you're feeling out the opponent, then BAM!!!

Anthony Rumble Johnson vs Glover Texiera (sp?) comes to mind. The fight starts, and both fighters show respect for one another's power, then BOOM!, Rumble lands an uppercut that just clips Glover's chin and he's out cold.

I wish this game leaned more towards a fight sim where gameplans and strategies were the meta.

OR

You might be using a fighter with less power, so you decide to stick to the outside and pepper the opponent with well timed jabs and crosses, mix in takedowns to break them down and fight smart. Do you feel you can represent that aspect of a gameplan on UFC 4?

Last edited by 12_Adriyel_12; 08-30-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Is The Game Dangerous Enough?

I think it does a better job than UFC 3 did. But it's nowhere near perfect.

When I play, regardless of who I'm using, I feel as though I need to be constantly throwing shots in order to rack up cumulative damage to eventually end the fight. Sure, you sometimes get a perfectly placed shot that drops the opponent, but even then it usually doesn't end the fight, but rather just results in a knockdown. I think actual KOs from standing should be more prevalent, it's actually kinda funny because there's almost no real TKOs in the game. The GnP all results in KOs, and finish the fight isn't great.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand, I certainly think that certain guys need their power increased for single-shot strikes. I think part of the issue is that a lot of the damage system is based on the vulnerability windows that are created when throwing strikes and moving. I think there needs to be more damage for strikes that land outside of those vulnerability windows. At present, if you throw a headkick and someone sways into it, it'll do a lot of damage. But what I think a lot of us would like to see, is more damage being applied when someone throws a headkick to a stationary opponent as well. As of now, if your opponent stands still and doesn't touch their controller, and you throw a headkick, it's not really a big deal. It's only a big deal once they start actually doing things.

This has been said a million times before, but I think guys with big power should get that big power at the expense of having a higher short term stamina tax. This would mean that the fighters who have the big one shot power are not able to fight like Max Holloway or other guys with endless cardio. The one shot guys wouldn't be able to throw as many strikes in succession as those other guys, because their short term stamina would drain faster. This would make those guys with big power feel truly dangerous, but it would also stop the game from feeling unfair as they wouldn't have the same ability to constantly pressure and throw non-stop strikes anymore.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Rookie

Ok I just tested the game on Pro Difficulty, Fight Now with no custom sliders.

I used Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez.

I ONLY threw Conor's left straight with perfect timing interrupting Alvarez's moving forward strikes.

After CONSTANTLY landing the left straight with high stamina and well timed shots, it's safe to say that I only rocked the CPU ONE time and kept getting rocked by the CPU when Alvarez would throw COMBOS or a spinning backfist.

SMH. You CAN NOT pick your shots and put people away with well timed power shots on here.

You either have to throw the Big Overhands, throw Combos, or land signature strikes that require L1 or R1.

Come on EA, in the REAL McGregor vs Alvarez fight, Conor landed well timed left straights that DROPPED and eventually finished Alvarez.

Mind you I didn't throw a lot of punches, I only waited to time the CPU with left straights, didn't rock the CPU but once, the CPU threw DOUBLE the amount of strikes but I was the one limping around dead tired by round 3. SMH

This game is literally Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter esque and nothing like a real fight where your well timed strikes actually matter.

I'm done with UFC 4 until some SEVERE changes are made.

I just deleted the game from my system, not in anger, but just in pure disappointment from not feeling like I'm in a real fight.

Geoff the Gameplay Developer will be missed, I feel he wanted the game moving towards an MMA Sim, but EA Sports had other plans (Kumite, Backyard, Wearing Masks in PRO FIGHTS LOL, collect coins, on screen blood splatter when you're hurt, etc.)
Old 08-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Pro

I agree with your assessment. I never feel that sense of worry when facing someone with one punch ko power because I know you can eat those lunches with no consequence unless it’s a combo. That, along with stamina and the clinch mechanic, is why I did not purchase the game nor will I unless I see market improvement. There really needs to me a mode that caters to the sim community so that I can feel that sense of fear and caution when fighting against certain guys.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Rookie

The Senator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
I think it does a better job than UFC 3 did. But it's nowhere near perfect.

When I play, regardless of who I'm using, I feel as though I need to be constantly throwing shots in order to rack up cumulative damage to eventually end the fight. Sure, you sometimes get a perfectly placed shot that drops the opponent, but even then it usually doesn't end the fight, but rather just results in a knockdown. I think actual KOs from standing should be more prevalent, it's actually kinda funny because there's almost no real TKOs in the game. The GnP all results in KOs, and finish the fight isn't great.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand, I certainly think that certain guys need their power increased for single-shot strikes. I think part of the issue is that a lot of the damage system is based on the vulnerability windows that are created when throwing strikes and moving. I think there needs to be more damage for strikes that land outside of those vulnerability windows. At present, if you throw a headkick and someone sways into it, it'll do a lot of damage. But what I think a lot of us would like to see, is more damage being applied when someone throws a headkick to a stationary opponent as well. As of now, if your opponent stands still and doesn't touch their controller, and you throw a headkick, it's not really a big deal. It's only a big deal once they start actually doing things.

This has been said a million times before, but I think guys with big power should get that big power at the expense of having a higher short term stamina tax. This would mean that the fighters who have the big one shot power are not able to fight like Max Holloway or other guys with endless cardio. The one shot guys wouldn't be able to throw as many strikes in succession as those other guys, because their short term stamina would drain faster. This would make those guys with big power feel truly dangerous, but it would also stop the game from feeling unfair as they wouldn't have the same ability to constantly pressure and throw non-stop strikes anymore.
Love this post, this to me, is a great way to balance the power strikers against the volume strikers, letting both play to their strengths. I know how overdone it is, but I have to compare things to the stopping power in UD3, where, if you were facing a heavy hitter, you were on the edge of your seat, since you knew they could turn things around at any point with one big shot. That's never really felt true in any of the EA UFC games, which is a shame.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Rookie

No, I don’t think it is at all. As of right now, the game encourages you to fight like Max Holloway or Nick Diaz no matter what fighter you have. There is no penalty for throwing 100 strikes a round and you can pretty much only knock people out after rocking them like three times. Very annoying.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmageek
No, I don’t think it is at all. As of right now, the game encourages you to fight like Max Holloway or Nick Diaz no matter what fighter you have. There is no penalty for throwing 100 strikes a round and you can pretty much only knock people out after rocking them like three times. Very annoying.
This X100000. It’s been this way since 2 and has only gotten worse. You got fighters with notorious suspect cardio like Nunes or Woodley throwing 163 strikes per round in this game. You are forced to throw 100 plus strikes to keep up with them. And the mechanics of this game is so dumb regarding finishing the fights. Youre right you can rock someone three times and depending if they are against the cage they usually survive. Now usually the fighter who has his back to the cage in a rocked moment doesn’t survive. Go watch any recent JDS fight or DC the ltwo two times he was finished. But this game no. Meanwhile you get rocked and drop once in open space it’s over due to the garbage gnp and lack of options for the sub fighter

Last edited by Painless taken; 08-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Rookie

Imo no. Damage across the board seems to be too low, plus the average fighter can withstand too much damage too. I have had several fights where I’ve dropped my opponent 7+ times, and they’re still pushing along like normal. I liked how vulnerability worked in UFC 3 a lot more compared to this game. Lots of room to improve though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »