Home

Why do I not gain any advantage from my strike landing first?

This is a discussion on Why do I not gain any advantage from my strike landing first? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why do I not gain any advantage from my strike landing first?

I've really started to notice this a lot more in the new Live Event since all the stats are the same and the reach advantage is minimal between the fighters. I don't understand when I land a clean jab/straight on my opponent and try to combo off it, they can just start interrupt it by starting their own combo. Is it because the timing is off from my jab to the next button? I can understand a jab > some LB move has every right to be interrupted by your opponent's strike but I'm just trying to do simple jab > straight > overhand stuff and despite landing first, my opponent seems to just mash buttons and I'm forced to block as I get hit after my jab.

Same thing goes for a body kick. Against less experienced players, you can just stand there and wait for them to walk right into a body kick and go off w/ explosive combos. Sometimes, though, you land a body kick CLEAN and your opponent just starts pressing buttons and combos right through it. I can understand if there is recovery time after you throw the kick in which your opponent can capitalize on... but then that makes a "naked" body kick almost useless against experienced players unless you're a good distance away to back up... but being a good distance away makes a naked body kick a stupid option to throw in the first place since missing it is way more likely.

I just don't understand "what beats what" in the stand up. In an actual competitive fighting game like Street Fighter, everyone knows what moves punish other moves. I'm not gonna go into details about SF and I'm not saying SF is supposed to be like real life fighting but the engine is LOGICAL and refined. It's basically a more complicated version of rocks, paper, scissors. EA Sports UFC 2 is trying to be like real life fighting but is ILLOGICAL and unrefined and seems to be just a hot mess.

I just want to know... what beats what? lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Why do I not gain any advantage from my strike landing first?

I noticed the same thing when its jacare vs vitor. I'm pretty sure vitor must have a stiff jab and straight and jacare has normal jabs and straight. When i would use vitor id kand a jab and by the time could throw the 2 he would land a 1-2 and have a body kick incoming. No way to beat that
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
Just started!

I am also having the same issue which is causing me to lose more fights and I just don't understand myself. My opponent throws strikes after i throw a strike and all I'm throwing are jab combos to set up bigger shots and its like my opponent just eats right threw every shot I throw threw out the fight. Is this something that needs to be patched or is this purposely in the game and if so how do you get around it?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HystoryNDMaking
I am also having the same issue which is causing me to lose more fights and I just don't understand myself. My opponent throws strikes after i throw a strike and all I'm throwing are jab combos to set up bigger shots and its like my opponent just eats right threw every shot I throw threw out the fight. Is this something that needs to be patched or is this purposely in the game and if so how do you get around it?
I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I'm not a big jabber, more of a shot picker..And when I'm hit with a jab I'm completely dead and tied to the ground and having to eat 2 or 3 shots. I WISH I saw what you guys are talking about.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_Manuel
I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I'm not a big jabber, more of a shot picker..And when I'm hit with a jab I'm completely dead and tied to the ground and having to eat 2 or 3 shots. I WISH I saw what you guys are talking about.
No, because Jabs don't cause hit stun.

What's happening to most of you is, and i am assuming here, but YOU throw a Jab, and opponent throws a Cross. Cross/Straight causes hit stun, so even if they land second your strikes are not stunning them with an opening for another strike while their first strike on you does leave them an opening for a combo.

Shouldn't start with jabs, Crosses/Straights should be the first punch thrown, and usually after lunging form a distance out of kick range so as to catch the opponent off guard.

Also, practice your combinations in practice mode. some great 3 hit 90% guaranteed wobble/stun combo's starting off the cross.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Banned

some great 3 hit 90% guaranteed wobble/stun combo's starting off the cross.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

There is definitely something funky going on with the event stats. I have noticed it a lot more on the ground, but now that I read this, you're definitely onto something, the strike intercept mechanic/etc. seems very funky when fighters have exact even stats...hmm

(I think in this case it's somewhat related to the regular jab vs. stiff jab; as mentioned above, but I don't think that explains everything...)
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostHighway
No, because Jabs don't cause hit stun.

What's happening to most of you is, and i am assuming here, but YOU throw a Jab, and opponent throws a Cross. Cross/Straight causes hit stun, so even if they land second your strikes are not stunning them with an opening for another strike while their first strike on you does leave them an opening for a combo.

Shouldn't start with jabs, Crosses/Straights should be the first punch thrown, and usually after lunging form a distance out of kick range so as to catch the opponent off guard.

Also, practice your combinations in practice mode. some great 3 hit 90% guaranteed wobble/stun combo's starting off the cross.
But doesn't that sound weird?

Never start your combo with a jab??

that might be the right thing to do in this game but definitely not realistic (and yes I know starting with a cross is totally acceptable lol but to NEVER lead with a jab....just aint right)
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »