Home

How does AI learning work?

This is a discussion on How does AI learning work? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How does AI learning work?

I started a franchise on All-Star with the Leafs and did really good until I beat Montreal 7:0. Ever since that win I have a really hard time to score any goals. Everything that worked before, doesn't work anymore. Breakaways, one-timers or shots to a wide open corner. I can only score via deflections or if the pucks slips through the goalie's gear. Is this how AI learning works? Killing everything that used to work? I really loved how the game played, but now it makes no sense to play it anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: How does AI learning work?

After 200 games I can say that there is something wrong with the gameplay/sliders, because all of sudden AI scores 4 to 8 goals in a game just when I have found the good slider combination. About 50 games with no problem and now 20 straight games with superior AI who won't let me score 2 goals without coming back from it and tie.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:03 AM   #3
Just started!

I turned AI learning all the way down. The higher the AI learning, the faster the game will learn how you play and adjust to it. So if you like to dump the puck in, chase it down, and use the point shot to get your offense going, the AI will notice, learn from it, and adjust their strategy to it. It will force you to always find new ways to play. I don't really like that. I'd rather just change the skill level if I'm looking for more of a challenge.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Unfortunately, it's something that's never really been explained by the developers, leaving everyone to guess.

I think it may be part of the reason for the code that some people see as ice tilting.

My assumption is that if the human player does certain things and consistently scores with them, the AI will adjust how it plays to better counter that, similar to how a real coach would try and get his team to play a certain way. I don't know if that's for every team, just the team you're playing, or if it's something that's built up over multiple games.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Unfortunately, it's something that's never really been explained by the developers, leaving everyone to guess.

I think it may be part of the reason for the code that some people see as ice tilting.

My assumption is that if the human player does certain things and consistently scores with them, the AI will adjust how it plays to better counter that, similar to how a real coach would try and get his team to play a certain way. I don't know if that's for every team, just the team you're playing, or if it's something that's built up over multiple games.
Maybe it doesn't just affect the one game. I wonder if it's actually affecting every game going forward. I wouldn't doubt it. I have had the same experience. I get the game sliders where I want, have some good games, then suddenly it's night and day.

It "learns" how you've been winning your games and adjusts for each game there after.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Maybe it doesn't just affect the one game. I wonder if it's actually affecting every game going forward. I wouldn't doubt it. I have had the same experience. I get the game sliders where I want, have some good games, then suddenly it's night and day.

It "learns" how you've been winning your games and adjusts for each game there after.
i'm thinking this is how it works in franchise mode. I couldn't get my sliders quite right in franchise mode and would change them in 5 game increments. i had AI learning at 3. i would win 5 in a row easily, then lose 5 in a row where the cpu was super. My record is where i want it, but the games didn't feel right until it was "reset" by my streak ending. I tried it on zero and the cpu was playing how it should relative to the sliders in my next game.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

I just want to share this because I played a game last night which had a crazy 3rd period. Superstar Hardcore with some tweaked sliders. I was the Blues. I trailed 3-2 heading into the 3rd period. I tied the game 3-3. Then Dallas scored two goals back to back to go up 5-3.

At this point I started changing my tactics on the attack. Scored a sweet slapshot with Vladimir Tarasenko off a drop pass on the rush. 5-4 Stars at this point. Not even 2 minutes later Spezza shoots a puck, Allen makes the save but spits out a rebound, which Spezza bangs home. 6-4, Dallas.

I did not give up. I told all my players to get aggressive on the forecheck, my D men to aggressively pinch, and everyone crash the net. So we had a faceoff in the O zone that I won back to Gunnarson. I had the goalie pulled at this moment for the extra attacker. Gunnerson took the puck, skated to the middle of the ice and took a slapshot that beat Dallas' goalie blocker side. 6-5 game now. I was believing I could still tie this thing.

Just 23 seconds later I took a shot on the net with Bouwmeester that Fabbri redirected down into the ice that ended up bouncing into the net to tie it miraculously.

I ended up winning it with Paul Stastny on a shorthanded goal in OT. Wildest game I've ever played. Sorry if I derail this thread.

My contribution to the topic: I think if you are able to adjust your strategies to the AI I think you stand a fair chance to win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHL® 17_20161111231703-1.jpg (122.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

I was just wondering this same thing. I have lost a bunch of games in a row and was struggling. I play as a player lock LD. I love to do this way and let the CPU control my other players. So if I lower ai learning will this effect my teammates as well? I just want a competitive game but with the ai learning at 6. I can't score or win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »