Home

The Perversion of the Right Stick

This is a discussion on The Perversion of the Right Stick within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

OVR: 0
The Perversion of the Right Stick

I'm completely baffled at the lack of outrage over this "mechanic" in the game and I'd like to get a real discussion going.

The use of the right stick creates a day and night difference in gameplay and AI awareness

If you're skeptical, please give this a try.

On defense, hold the RS in the direction of the puck (usually up because of the camera angle). All of a sudden, the AI and your controlled player have some sense about them. Pucks now don't magically go through your perfectly positioned players. It is now easier to strip your opponent of the puck. It also doesn't matter who your controlling. The right stick will make your CPU players attack on defense, step up and intercept passes, and lay big hits.

The difference is incredible. Your player and your team's CPU players' awareness and propensity towards affecting the puck and be aggressive on defense or on the forecheck become extremely increased. I've even seen it affect my goalie's consistency and awareness in covering the puck. NOT OK.

To me, this is how the game should play by default and there should not be an extra reward for jamming or holding the RS in a direction. Stick play and puck interaction needs to be re-thought for NHL 17. I really like the idea of using the right stick for loose puck battles (i.e. a defensive skill stick). But there should be repercussions for indiscriminately spamming the right stick (slashing). AND IT SHOULD NEVER AFFECT THE PLAY OF YOUR CPU CONTROLLED PLAYERS INCLUDING YOUR GOALIE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will continue testing this thesis and once I'm back from vacation would be happy to post some comparison videos. The lightbulb came on when I was getting tanked online by this dude who was 27-2-0. It was 4-0 through 2 1/2 periods. Then I gave this a try (I already knew the right stick had a major effect, just never tried holding it in a direction). I dominated the last half of the 3rd and got back within 1 before the horn sounded. I couldn't touch this dude and all of sudden with this one tweak I was laying hits, intercepting passes and relentless on the forecheck? Not a coincidence. And in light of consistency, I always play with the Capitals, I'm from DC. So we won't be seeing the effect of a better team, just the right stick.

If this discussion goes well I'd like to talk about some other fixes for 17. Dynamic L2 skating, Redefined boardplay/tie ups in front, change protect puck, allow skating when dekeing with the right stick, stick collision, phantom lift-stick slashes, etc.

Last edited by swampgator; 03-27-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

Re: The Perversion of the Right Stick

I could say the same about goalie mode also, goalie with out the puck when AI Human CPU players are at the AI CPUs zone, you could move the left stick in the direction which AI Human CPU they will move that direction, now for right stick I think is little odd at times in goalie mode while moving left stick in the direction you want AI Human CPU players to move in & I also move the right stick if I want the AI Human CPU to shoot or pass, am I imagining things or what, , makes me wonder if they should add shot aim targeting for goalie mode also, but... for now we can't see the shot aim targeting in goalie mode.

but there is something odd with left stick and right stick in goalie mode, I just can't explain it with out you someone here to show it too, .
Old 03-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator
I'm completely baffled at the lack of outrage over this "mechanic" in the game and I'd like to get a real discussion going.

The use of the right stick creates a day and night difference in gameplay and AI awareness
This works for sure. Just tried it during a few games. I played like i usually do, good gap etc, AI is laid back etc.

I then held in LT while pressing up on the right stick and my AI attacked the puck carrier and was more aggressive with sticks in lanes, stick lifts, etc.

Hilarious.

Edit -

Dumping and chasing now is great, i dump puck in zone, hold right stick towards the area of the puck, and the AI line mates go in and battle, stick lifts etc.

Game changer here!

Great find!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

Last edited by Fiddy; 03-27-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Fiddy, lol it's incredible right?? This NEEDS to be fixed for 17

SuperGoalies, you are on the money. This works no matter what position you're playing. Even AI teammates in EASHL are killer using this strategy. You can literally swing the whole game with your use of the sticks even when your 200 feet away from the puck. Not sure if there's a coach mode (haven't dabbled too much in offline) but if there is I'd imagine this would be your ace in the hole to dominate.

Please, everyone try this and witness the BS haha. We need to have EA rework something they've programmed to have this affect nulled for the game next year.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator
Fiddy, lol it's incredible right?? This NEEDS to be fixed for 17

SuperGoalies, you are on the money. This works no matter what position you're playing. Even AI teammates in EASHL are killer using this strategy. You can literally swing the whole game with your use of the sticks even when your 200 feet away from the puck. Not sure if there's a coach mode (haven't dabbled too much in offline) but if there is I'd imagine this would be your ace in the hole to dominate.

Please, everyone try this and witness the BS haha. We need to have EA rework something they've programmed to have this affect nulled for the game next year.

I have witnessed the BS for four years now...and that is without the mystery of the right stick. I really pray that somebody else (2K?) tries their hand at the NHL series because EA has no clue what they are doing any more. This game is ZERO FUN online right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I'd suggest you make a video about it and post it here. It'll get reposted on various other forums, and reddit, and twitter. Might get some sort of response.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

So I did some testing last night and I will post videos when I'm more sure of what is happening. Like SuperGoalies said, it's actually some combination of the left and right stick so it's a little more complex than I originally thought. It's almost like continuously fiddling RS while directing your LS towards the play/puck carrier or in the passing lane.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Rookie

Unbelievable how much this changes things. It's like a new game altogether for me. Thanks swampgator for the insight!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »