Home

Empty net goals... ugh

This is a discussion on Empty net goals... ugh within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Unhappy Empty net goals... ugh

This isn't a new issue with the NHL series, but it weighs on me every year when playing against the CPU. Empty net goals are too easy to score.

This can pretty much ruin a hard fought 2-1 game when the final score ends up 4-1 or 5-2 because of all the goals in the final minute of the game. Not to mention does a number on stats.

In the past I have had to impose my own house rules about scoring empty netters. Like they go to Dmen only, or I only allow myself to score 1 of them in a game.

But the real issue is that the game plays no differently when there are 6 skaters on the ice and the AI plays as if there is a goalie in the net regardless.

Compounding the issue is the guaranteed easy entry into the zone every single time. Not to mention the easy breakout up the boards when taking over possession with the puck in your own end. So, essentially if you grab a dump in or gather a loose puck in your own end and there is an empty cage at the far end of the ice, you know you are scoring that goal 9 times out of 10.

The AI Defense will never step up on the puck carrier and defend like you are taught to do in that situation in real life. And to be honest, I am not sure what the answer is to fix it. I can't see them programming specific logic into the final few minutes of a game to change the entire way the game is played. They can't/won't even fix the neutral zone pressure or attempt to hold the blue line as is, so I doubt they are going to attack something that only is seen in a limited number of instances.

Playing against a human online if you are trailing it is almost never a good idea to pull your goalie. Everyone knows that all you have to do is step one inch over that blue line and let go of the aim and skate stick as you flick up for your wrist shot and no matter who it is it is going in that net.

Really annoying to me and sad it is yet another year in which we must deal with it.

What are some of your guys' workarounds or house rules for empty net goals in this game? I can't be the only one that feels bad racking up the easy goals. Especially when they are not scored in a similar fashion to how they would be in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Empty net goals... ugh

I never pull my goalie in EA's NHL games because I can't control all of my AI defenders at once, and they will just treat an empty net situation like any other shift.

The AI will apply no pressure to the puck carrier and will let the wingers advance up the boards unmarked, just like they do during normal gameplay.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I never pull my goalie in EA's NHL games because I can't control all of my AI defenders at once, and they will just treat an empty net situation like any other shift.

The AI will apply no pressure to the puck carrier and will let the wingers advance up the boards unmarked, just like they do during normal gameplay.
I agree. And it frustrates the heck out of me. But my issue with playing so much against the CPU this year is going to more-so be the scoring of the empty netters by me on the AI. Do you handicap yourself or do anything to make it harder?

I usually give myself the go ahead to score one empty netter because you never know what could happen and I would hate to give up a lead because I limited myself in scoring as to not run up the score. But I try not to score the second empty netter too often unless it is a milestone goal, like a hatty, or something.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Like you said this has been a problem for years and this year it actually seems worse. In addition to the terrible AI the CPU exhibits, I feel like the minute I gain control of the puck the CPU goes into sleep mode and I can skate end to end untouched and unchallenged. That said what's worse is you don't even have to skate end to end as from just about mid ice 95% of the shots laser beam into the net like there is a magnet in there. The odd thing is I keep shot accuracy at zero and miss a lot from right in front and with point shots, but not those empty netters....right in....like you said ugh!

Last edited by jake19ny; 09-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Playing Be a Pro I experienced this first hand the other night. My team took a late penalty with like a minute to go in the game when we were already down two goals. Well that didn't matter they still pulled the goalie being a man down and no chance in hell to win, plus they decided to put me in at this time and like you said my defensive partner (I was just coming off the bench) put absolutely no pressure on the attacker and they scored from the blue line. I was absolutely shocked when I noticed the net was empty at this time. Then of course I get dinged on +/- for this crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

The AI has always been WAY too passive in EA NHL games, and it really shows during EN situations. I don't know why they make the AI so passive, probably because making them more agressive destroys the regular gameplay in other ways. I feel like its so far gone now that they could never fix it without a new engine.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

The Empty Net AI has been awful. That is one thing that drove me nuts. Not only is the AI able to just skate past your guys, but no one makes an attempt to block the net, or stop the play. Hopefully in 16*
Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I agree. And it frustrates the heck out of me. But my issue with playing so much against the CPU this year is going to more-so be the scoring of the empty netters by me on the AI. Do you handicap yourself or do anything to make it harder?
I force myself to get to the crease with the puck before shooting it in. And I do refrain from scoring a second one in the same game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »