Home

Has NHL '15 Been Confirmed For Next Gen?

This is a discussion on Has NHL '15 Been Confirmed For Next Gen? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Has NHL '15 Been Confirmed For Next Gen?

With World Cup game not on next gen I wouldn't be surprised if NHL '15 wasn't on next gen consoles in September. EA's logic was that many gamers don't have next gen as of yet. For a smaller series like NHL with limited resources this could be the case as well. I certainly hope not. Has there been any confirmation from EA that next year's game will be made for PS$ and XB1?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Has NHL '15 Been Confirmed For Next Gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgolf
With World Cup game not on next gen I wouldn't be surprised if NHL '15 wasn't on next gen consoles in September. EA's logic was that many gamers don't have next gen as of yet. For a smaller series like NHL with limited resources this could be the case as well. I certainly hope not. Has there been any confirmation from EA that next year's game will be made for PS$ and XB1?
EA (their publishing arm) are probably in a bit of a quandary. They can release next gen titles to a limited audience of gamers (comparatively) which can go one of two ways.

1. Sales don't perform to their expectations.

2. The presence of next gen titles from EA forces the consumers hand to take the plunge into next gen consoles and sales for the games are garnered on the back of that.

The other way to look at it is that you could say the EA NHL development team CHOSE to not pursue next gen this year to focus on rebuilding their game for NHL 15 on next gen. The presence of a quality sports title will then force the consumers hand on the back of that.

I would personally lean more towards the latter. NHL has traditionally been one of the better sports games and that has slipped recently. I can only think they are aware of this and rather than rush one for this year, they have possibly taken a more pragmatic approach to make sure they release their best effort.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Rookie

I understand your logic but I would be shocked if NHL 15 wasn't on next-gen.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I'd say that all we really have to go off of is that NHL 07 was released for 360 and that was the first full year of Next Gen gaming. The same situation will apply for PS4 and Xbox One. If people remember in 06 EA went opposite of what 2k did, in that 2k released 2k6 for PS2 and XBOX, and then released it for 360 once that came out. NHL 06 was strictly for PS2 and XBOX. The only reason NHL 07 wasn't on PS3 was because the Playstation was released much later than the 360.

Anyway I would be very surprised if it wasn't on Next Gen. I think the lack of big improvements to NHL 14 kind of shows either A) they've been investing most of their time on Next Gen or B) their budget has been cut a ton. I'd say it's most likely A.

EA can also look at NHL 14's sales numbers in two different ways if that was a factor for Next Gen. If I'm not mistaken it was the lowest in quite a while, and by a substantial amount. Before NHL 14, sales went up just about every year. I don't have a source on this but I'm going off of memory so if somebody has a source feel free to let me know if I'm wrong. To me either people were getting bored of the game because of staleness (people like me), or people are waiting it out until next gen or feel no need to buy the new version each year.

Either way I think if EA chooses not to go Next Gen this series could tank, and tank bad. I just think that staleness and the lack of improvements/fixes to some of the core problems with this game has really killed sales. The power of the new systems could substantially help this by upgrading graphics, revamping AI (most importantly), improving physics, and many other areas. I'm a hardcore hockey guy and I can honestly say I haven't had one itch this hockey season to either buy NHL 14 or play NHL 13. For me the only way I will buy any NHL series game again will be on Next Gen. I just think the developers have done just about all they can do on these current systems.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm going to lose my mind if I don't have a hockey game to play on Ps4 this fall. It's already killing me with the playoffs looming...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
I'm going to lose my mind if I don't have a hockey game to play on Ps4 this fall. It's already killing me with the playoffs looming...

Precisely the reason for starting this thread.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
MVP

omega412930's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04

one reason i havnt made the jump to next gen yet, but with a whole year to develope nhl 15 it should b out on next gen in the fall i wouldnt worry

NHL - New Jersey Devils
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
MLB - Philadelphia Phillies
NBA - Brooklyn Nets
NCAAF - Oregon Ducks
NCAAB - Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33

Anyway I would be very surprised if it wasn't on Next Gen. I think the lack of big improvements to NHL 14 kind of shows either A) they've been investing most of their time on Next Gen or B) their budget has been cut a ton. I'd say it's most likely A.
C) EA so dont expect "big improvements" with same people and RAMJ still leading...i dont see any improvements at all in NHL 15 even released in PS4/X1. They need fresh ideas and eyes that can only come to new sets of team and leaders.

NHL 07 improved graphics (comparing to PS2/Xbox) and EA introduced RS as your hockey stick. Only in 08 or 09 that we've seen improvements in gameplay.

I expect NHL 15 on PS4/X1 but not much of an improvement in gameplay or even in presentation. Probably NHL 16 or 17 will be the biggest improvement from 14.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »