Home

New to Hockey

This is a discussion on New to Hockey within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Rookie

AlexHorvath's Arena

OVR: 0
New to Hockey

Being that I am in college, I see A LOT of hockey fans, more notably Bruins and Rangers fans since I go to CT. I've watched a couple hockey games and I am interested in it. Where should the hockey noob start? And in boston/ny and anything in between, how do the teams rank?

New York Giants

New York Mets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
My recommendation would be to watch a lot of hockey. I grew up playing and watching hockey in the 90's so it's easy for me. What do you want to know? The bruins won the cup a few yrs ago and have kept their core group, save Tim Thomas. The Rangers have a solid team. YouTube has some good stuff if you`re looking for player highlights.

Last edited by Review; 02-10-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Rookie

AlexHorvath's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New to Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
My recommendation would be to watch a lot of hockey. I grew up playing and watching hockey in the 90's so it's easy for me. What do you want to know? The bruins won the cup a few yrs ago and have kept their core group, save Tim Thomas. The Rangers have a solid team. YouTube has some good stuff if you`re looking for player highlights.
I just want to know basically where the boundaries are, like if I want to be a Rangers fan, I don't want people saying I'm a bandwagoner or anything, but I also don't want to root for a team thats doing not so good

New York Giants

New York Mets
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHorvath
I just want to know basically where the boundaries are, like if I want to be a Rangers fan, I don't want people saying I'm a bandwagoner or anything, but I also don't want to root for a team thats doing not so good
It shouldn`t really matter if you just started watching hockey and are from NY. It`s a no brainer really as the Rangers are "the team" there. The Islanders have the best player (Tavares) in the area though.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
It shouldn`t really matter if you just started watching hockey and are from NY. It`s a no brainer really as the Rangers are "the team" there. The Islanders have the best player (Tavares) in the area though.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Getting the chance to actually watch Rick Nash play night in and night out, he's utterly dominant. Honestly, it almost seems like he's "slumping" scoring-wise and he still has 3 goals. He makes something happen every time he's on the ice and is very visible at all times.

In terms of being a Rangers fan, I don't think anyone will call you a bandwagoner. They haven't won anything yet, so there's no bandwagon for you to jump on. I think they're the best team in the league, though, so there's that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Who cares what other people say or think. Unless they were born into liking a team, then every single fan is a 'bandwagon' fan at one point or another.

No one starts to like a team in a new sport that is terrible.

I would suggest you just start watching any time you get the chance. You will begin to notice patterns, ie some teams play a slicker more puck control game; some play a dump and chase, more physical game.

See what styles you like better, and that will make those games more exciting for you.

Plus start actually watching single players, watch them when they are with the puck and without. You will again start to notice player traits that you may or may not like in a player.

Maybe certain players always shy away from contact, or complain to the ref to much. Some players will be hard nosed aggressive players, some will be softer slick skating players who glide through the defence rather than plow through them.

Find what styles you like, then that may help you start to enjoy this great game more.

I find this one aspect that the NHL has over the other sports.
"You say an NFL guy is tough and loves to hit, really"
"you say an NBA guy is a good athlete, and can jump, really"

Hockey provides many different types of players, and all different styles.
From fighter, to hard nosed 4th line character guys, to brusing power forwards to slick hands of skilled players.

You can like them all, or pick and choose.

I know people who's favorite player on the team is the guy who gets 5min a game.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwRiter94
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Getting the chance to actually watch Rick Nash play night in and night out, he's utterly dominant. Honestly, it almost seems like he's "slumping" scoring-wise and he still has 3 goals. He makes something happen every time he's on the ice and is very visible at all times.

Nash is a beast. It's rare that someone so big and strong can dangle and control the puck at high speed. Keep in mind that Nash has the advantage of playing with better line mates. I would still go with Tavares as the better talent right now. The fact that he's younger and plays center makes him more valuable. Who knows what his numbers would be like if he had some solid wingers.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Nash is a beast. It's rare that someone so big and strong can dangle and control the puck at high speed. Keep in mind that Nash has the advantage of playing with better line mates. I would still go with Tavares as the better talent right now. The fact that he's younger and plays center makes him more valuable. Who knows what his numbers would be like if he had some solid wingers.
I've read some discussions recently that actually lead me to believe that the better linemates don't necessarily lead to more success for Nash. Keep in mind that he had this scoring pace back in Columbus too, and if you watch him you see that he really drives a line on his own (hence why Tortorella has taken him off of Richards' line). Honestly, I don't watch Tavares enough to definitively say one is better than the other, I'm just saying it's a definite discussion.

In terms of value though, you're definitely right in that Tavares is more valuable, if only because of his age.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »