Home

BE A GM ADVICE NEEDED on Major Trade

This is a discussion on BE A GM ADVICE NEEDED on Major Trade within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
BE A GM ADVICE NEEDED on Major Trade

Hey Guys in my second year of BE a GM. I did a Fantasy Draft With Salary Cap on. I play all my games I dont sim.

Here is My Team Current Structure

First Line: Hall, Myself, Eberle
Second Line: M. Pacioretty, J. Staal, W. Simmonds
Third Line: JVR, R. Oreilly, N. Yakupov
Fourth Line: Sven Bartchi, Burmistrov, V. Tarasenko

Defense:
J. Shultz, J. Gardiner
S Voynov, Kulikov
D. Orlova, Sbisa

Goal:
Markstrom
J. Gibson

I have about 6 Million in Cap space left.

Here is the dilemma.

J. Staal (85OVR) has a 10 year contract and has had a really slow start to my season in 12 Games only has 6 Pts. I have this years first round and some major proposects in the CHL which are G. Reinhart, M. Grigorenko, N. Mckinnon, and H. Shinkruk.

Next year I still have to sign about 4 players that are RFA that include Gardiner and Shultz

I was interested in landing one of the following 4 players to take second line spot in Moving Staal and one of the prospects.

Tyler Seguin (88OVR)
John Tavares (89OVR)
J. Skinner (Buf) (85OVR)
Steve Stamkos(93 OVR On WPG with 3 Yrs and 8 Million)

Who would you pick. My options were Tavares and Seguin
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: BE A GM ADVICE NEEDED on Major Trade

I'd take Seguin just because he's two years younger than Tavares. I like Tavares way better than Seguin though. You really can't go wrong with either one.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 01-14-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Rookie

hmart's Arena

OVR: 10

Stamkos is the better player out of all three... but hes 8M and if you have 6M left and you can't clear out some cap space without hurting your roster, you might as well go with Tavares... Seguin is a good player but Tavares IRL is more of a complete player than Seguin is... Seguin in real life, still has trouble transitioning into a centre role in Boston lineup and still play as a winger. JT has been manning the first line centre position for 2 years strong now and almost on a point per game basis, along with other defensive parts of his game is way better than Seguin's is. Keep in mind that Seguin is still younger than JT but JT still has a LONG career left and he is still young enough to be a cornerstone of your franchise.

J Staal is even a better centre than Seguin is, and I honestly think Seguin will stick with a winger role for longer while too. They have Bergeron Krecji to still lock the centre position for as long as Seguin can hone his game over the years.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmart
Stamkos is the better player out of all three... but hes 8M and if you have 6M left and you can't clear out some cap space without hurting your roster, you might as well go with Tavares... Seguin is a good player but Tavares IRL is more of a complete player than Seguin is... Seguin in real life, still has trouble transitioning into a centre role in Boston lineup and still play as a winger. JT has been manning the first line centre position for 2 years strong now and almost on a point per game basis, along with other defensive parts of his game is way better than Seguin's is. Keep in mind that Seguin is still younger than JT but JT still has a LONG career left and he is still young enough to be a cornerstone of your franchise.

J Staal is even a better centre than Seguin is, and I honestly think Seguin will stick with a winger role for longer while too. They have Bergeron Krecji to still lock the centre position for as long as Seguin can hone his game over the years.
If all of that stuff came into effect with NHL 13, you hit the nail on the head.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Rookie

Thanks Guys Made the Deal.

JT has been moved in major impact deal.

Toronto Gets J. Tavares and a AHL Player
For
La. Kings J. Staal, 2 3RD Picks and Griffin Reinhart.

Before the deal Tavares only had 8 PTS in 12 Games same amount as Staal.

The Next Major Impact Deal:

R.Oreilly(85OVR) is my Third Line center at 3 Yrs with 4.5 Million Left on his contract Would it be wise to move him and grab Tyler Seguin?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

If you want to, go for it. Btw don't just look at the players overall. Look at what you want in a player. Do you want a good faceoff guy, passer, shooter, all around player (which all centers have to be)? To me Ovr is just a silly number combination. It really has no baring on anything. It all just depends on what you want in a player. Get a player who fits how you play the game. I'd be willing to bet that you could find a lower Ovr (low 80's) player who you are good with, and be more successful than you would with a higher Ovr player. I'd look into that because you could also get more in the trade (draft picks, prospects, D men, grinders etc.). To me this is more fun because it's like your building a team. You actually have to think like a GM and coach.

Many people are too caught up in the Ovr rating. I used to be until I played The Show. The Show has no Ovr rating but instead a bar that gets full depending on how complete they are. If a player is good at hitting but a terrible fielder, the bar is sometimes only half to 3/4 full. Same thing if he's a good fielder and not a good hitter. To me attributes are a better indicator at what a player truly brings. That's the beauty of it. Not all players play the same. Although NHL 13 has done a bit better in separating skills it still needs a lot of improvement.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 01-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Rookie

hmart's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm also a fan of the bar attributing system. player skill for a certain category can't be measured quantitatively. but numbers do an alright job except the law of average kills it for cases of goons being rated 80 overall... because their shooting might be 65-70 but fighting is like 99 which averages it out ridiculously... I rmb in nhl11 boogard (RIP) was rated 82 cuz of this and kept getting put on line 2 instead of line 4 or a bench like in real life haha
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Rookie

Great comments and thinking structures.

Trading R. Oreilly at 3 Yrs and 4.5 Million

Here is my shopping list:

Tyler Seguin (3 Yrs 5.6 Million) (88OVR)
Jeff Skinner (4 Yrs 6.5 Million) (85OVR)
Steven Stamkos (3 Yrs 8Mill) (93OVR)

Looking for a good Faceoff Center who is under 25. My team is structured to have all players 25 and younger. With at least 2 years on their contract.

Besides the three listed any suggestions

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »