Home

EA - Can we lower the goalie speed from post to post?

This is a discussion on EA - Can we lower the goalie speed from post to post? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: Does goalie speed from post to post need to be LOWERED?
Yes 57 75.00%
No 8 10.53%
It is fine right now 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Rookie

Keytosa's Arena

OVR: 2
EA - Can we lower the goalie speed from post to post?

On cross-crease passes from one player to another, the goalies have warp-like speed to get over and make the save. Granted, this should happen from time to time, but not almost every time like it does now. Goalies making this incredible of a save should be the exception, not the rule, and right now, that isn't the case. Here's a good video to sum up the problem with the goalies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nMmLyhqXi64

There's also some discussion on the EA forums which can be found here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9008351.page

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/li...5A658FB719C5CF

Hopefully this can be addressed in the next tuner update. Goalies are just simply too quick from post to post. Feel free to post your comments below!

Last edited by Keytosa; 02-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: EA - Can we lower the goalie speed from post to post?

Keytosa, I fully agree with you about the goalies. I think it's a great idea to make a poll about it so we are able to know if most people think the same. I will copy the text I wrote this morning because it's exactly what I was talking about...

I personally really think goalies anticipation, lateral movements speed and/or number of desperate saves should be tuned down and reduced.

I'm mostly an hardcore offline guy who likes realism. Passing is really hard this year and I love it. You can't pass through 2 defensemen and still get rewarded anymore, you have to choose the right time to pass. And when playing offline with pass assist at 0, it's even tougher to make a successful pass. This is very well done.

So, great passing plays are difficult to make because of better defense, which is a good thing, but when we are able to make them, it should be pretty high percentage shots. Right now, when on a 2-on-1, it's pretty useless and irrelevant to try for a pass, because even if we beat the defenseman with the pass, which is not easy to do, the goalie will steal you almost every time. Every goalie in the game has superhuman anticipation and lateral movements this year and they also make a lot of desperate saves. These kinds of saves happen in real life, but they are pretty rare and that explains the wow factor surrounding them, but in NHL 13, they happen every game, multiple times. This also can't be tuned with the goalie reaction speed slider, because the goalie will let in weak goals and extremely bad rebounds while still be great on passing plays and making desperate saves.

In my opinion, goalies have to be corrected with a tuner or a patch, and I hope it will be the case sooner than later. Right now, this is easily the most irritating thing for me about NHL 13, other than that, I really love the game.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Rookie

jonapaloma's Arena

OVR: 3

I think its the goalie anticipation thats is the villain in this story. They cheat to much to one side for a easy snipe.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Rookie

Keytosa's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
Keytosa, I fully agree with you about the goalies. I think it's a great idea to make a poll about it so we are able to know if most people think the same. I will copy the text I wrote this morning because it's exactly what I was talking about...

I personally really think goalies anticipation, lateral movements speed and/or number of desperate saves should be tuned down and reduced.

I'm mostly an hardcore offline guy who likes realism. Passing is really hard this year and I love it. You can't pass through 2 defensemen and still get rewarded anymore, you have to choose the right time to pass. And when playing offline with pass assist at 0, it's even tougher to make a successful pass. This is very well done.

So, great passing plays are difficult to make because of better defense, which is a good thing, but when we are able to make them, it should be pretty high percentage shots. Right now, when on a 2-on-1, it's pretty useless and irrelevant to try for a pass, because even if we beat the defenseman with the pass, which is not easy to do, the goalie will steal you almost every time. Every goalie in the game has superhuman anticipation and lateral movements this year and they also make a lot of desperate saves. These kinds of saves happen in real life, but they are pretty rare and that explains the wow factor surrounding them, but in NHL 13, they happen every game, multiple times. This also can't be tuned with the goalie reaction speed slider, because the goalie will let in weak goals and extremely bad rebounds while still be great on passing plays and making desperate saves.

In my opinion, goalies have to be corrected with a tuner or a patch, and I hope it will be the case sooner than later. Right now, this is easily the most irritating thing for me about NHL 13, other than that, I really love the game.
I totally agree. This probably sums up the situation better than my post. I just wasn't really sure how to describe what's going on. It's definitely the acceleration/reflexes/lateral movement to make a cross-crease desperation save, which should only happen rarely, not multiple times a game IMO. Hopefully we can get some more community input so this will get addressed by EA
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Pro

I3RIS3H's Arena

OVR: 8

Yes this needs to be lowered somehow, but goalies don't push off with their skates in game, they just slide. I believe next year they need to work on the goalies more and incorporate ratings that involve anticipation and having the ability to go post to post in a realistic manner, instead of locking onto the puck and magically sliding without pushing off.
If they tune it this year though, it shouldn't be much to prevent elite goalies becoming swiss cheese.
NCAA: Kansas Jayhawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm a little torn on this. I enjoy doing a cross crease pass and not taking the one timer but carrying the puck back towards the passer for a split second and having a wide open far post to shoot at. We couldn't do that last year.

The Stamkos video on the main menu is kind of what I'm talking about except he receives the pass more in the slot but just imagine him being a bit farther over when he receives the pass.

Last edited by bukktown; 10-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

With pass speed set that high (full) maybe the only way for a goalie to counter that is to be extra fast himself. Any chance speed of goalie movement is tied to pass speed? He also has clear vision in those videos so he can easily see what's going on with no screening.

Last edited by tvman; 10-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I think it needs to be slowed down a bit. I've been robbed in some instances where its realistic, and I've been robbed in some instances that just make me want to throw my controller because it's kind of ridiculous he was able to get there and make that save.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »