Home

The "new" hip check and lack of penalties

This is a discussion on The "new" hip check and lack of penalties within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
The "new" hip check and lack of penalties

While I was playing a few games yesterday, I started to fiddling with and completetly overuse the hip check in ways it shouldn't be used (or as this post will imply, maybe it is) and getting some hilarious, realistic and completely out of this world results.

On last years game I felt that the physics/checking engine wasn't working as it should.
At times, you could skate through two zones in full speed with a tough player and line up a cross check in the back of an unknowing player, and the result was that you simply bounced of the player like you was a feather on skates.
But the next shift you could slowly glide towards someone from a few feet, and without any momentum at all you'd crush the player against the boards like if you had the energy of a freight train packed in those gloves.

I realise that the physics was on the first year, and that it was faaar from perfect, but what I thought of most was that there isn't a way to tell the game that you wanna go "all-in" for the kil, or simply check to interfere with the opponent.

I remember back then that I was thinking that the R3/RS button that was the hip check should be a "situational power check".
Meaning, if your skating backwards, the click of the button is a hip check just like it was in NHL 11... But when charging forward it should be a powerful dirty check/cross check, or if the situation allows/demands an elbowing.
Basically, a powerful check that is somewhat dirty, and in most instances will draw a penalty.

And this year, in NHL12, EA sports made my wishes come through... somewhat.
The effect you get with R3 button is just what I have been looking for, a powerful but risky move.
- Only that the animation is a flying hip check that looks wierd no matter the situation.
- And also, there is no penalties at all at this point.

With the state of this game right now, and no comments so far from EA about the lack of penalties, I've been thinking for myself; Was there an idea to introduce some kind of power move with the R3/RS button, but did they fail with the animation/penalty side of it?
Because I can't seem to understand how EA could mess up the hip check from last years game to what it is right now, unless they were trying to do a major change. And they would certainly not make it more powerful than it was...

I played a game yesterday, where I ended up with +50 hits (checking power slider is at 1). I took some videos that I will post later, forgot to upload them.
I actually really dislike the move now, and will force myself not to over use it anymore against the CPU because at this point I realised that I can't seem to lose. I can check a player from almost any angle and knock him out of his skates.
I don't have any use of this new "net battles" thing... As a D I just hip check the guys infront of the goal to the other end of the zone.
However, if the penalties was looked over/patched, and this move was to be penalised most of the times, it couldn't be overused... and at that point it would be perfectly fine.
But then again, the animation still looks wierd... but I got some goodies in the video store, I'll upload and post later.

Any thoughts on this?
Does the game need a (dirty) power check?
Have you guys got some nice goodies to show?

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro

raneman85's Arena

Re: The "new" hip check and lack of penalties

The hip check is old school hockey. You may be surprised to see some of the youth leagues going back to teaching it. Too many complaints about cheap shots with elbows and high sticks and checkers jumping off their skates to hit. Probably in the minority but the hip check is a lost art.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

First off... My Tony Hawk Hip check.
named it Tony Hawk as I finish the check by grinding on the boards with my butt.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

And next is the "Canon ball"... no further explainations needed.
With this weapon in the arsenal, whoe needs net battles?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

Another net battle... just stick your butt out.

And here is a Hip check canon ball boarding.
If it wasn't for the animation being a hip check, this would be a perfect place to insert dirty cross check boarding/checking from behind animation.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
Another net battle... just stick your butt out.
It's funny, because that's a great tactic for a forward who has parked himself in front of the net, stick his butt out and run into a defenseman as he's trying to move you.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with the tuning of this thing.

The collision detection on hip checks is awful, and you don't need any checking power rating to do it.

Definitely an overpowered move right now.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

They should have made Darius Kasparaitis one of the legends.

The one thing I notice on hits (not sure if this is what you are getting at) is how it is really hard to get a boarding call now. I can line someone up for a blatant hit from behind coming in at full speed and hit the guy square in the back and not get called. Instead of having the player crumple to the ice, the hit is just a light bump.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »