Home

Broken glass and what needs to change.

This is a discussion on Broken glass and what needs to change. within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Broken glass and what needs to change.

I am a huge fan of the NHL series so any criticism I have is simply to make a great game even better. With that being said, I truly appreciate all the new things that EA is adding to NHL 12. As many of us have seen one of the new additions is broken glass from big hits, and I assume from missed shots. There's just one problem, at least with the hits.

What makes EA think that every big hit that damages the glass breaks it? What should happen 99 out of 100 times is the entire pane of glass should fall into the crowd. I'm not only a NHL video game fan but a long-time NHL fan in general. I have NHL Center Ice and I rarely miss a Blackhawks game.

In the 200+ Blackhawks and other various hockey games I've watched just in the past few years, and of the thousands of games I've watched in my lifetime I would have to say that I have seen (while watching a game) the glass break from a hit exactly 0 times. While I always see it on replays and it no doubt, does happen, it is very, very rare.

What I have seen more times that I can remember is the entire pane of glass coming un-hinged and falling into the crowd. I'm just a little surprised that EA has added this over-the-top glass-breaking animation to the glass when a simple glass "malfunction" would have been much more realistic.

I'm also surprised that no one else seems to have mentioned this. Either way, its by no means a big deal and will not be a game-maker or a game-breaker either way. I just hope there is a slider to adjust the frequency of the glass breaking. I might even turn it off.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Broken glass and what needs to change.

There will most likely be a slider for broken glass.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Its just funny to me that they have broken glass on hits but not panes of glass falling into the crowd. The latter happens far more often.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Banned

Jattbreed's Arena

OVR: 1

I hate it how much they are focusing on OMG BROKEN GLASS as a feature. Can't believe they're using as something dumb as that to sell the game as a marketing perspective.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Unfortunately, I agree. Its far too gimicky and goes against everything that the NHL team has done well over the past 4 years. Its nice that it happens but it MIGHT happen once or twice a season in the NHL. The pane of glass falling into the crowd I'd say that happened about 10 times last year during the Blackhawks games I watched.

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 24

I think I've seen glass break from a hit once, and that was in Ovechkin's rookie year. We've all seen panes of glass fall out, but actually shattering? Just never happens.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Being that I play nearly always off-line, and thinking a slider will be provided to adjust how often [if at all] the glass breaks, I'm cool with it.

As far as the realism, glass shattering vs the pane just coming dislodged...of course the shattering is where the "Wow" is. So of course they went with the wow.

I guess my bit of concern is...that they seem to keep pushing this addition over and over. Nice add I guess, but imo...hardly worth the hype. Please Marketing guys, lets move on to something else.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Banned

tofubrain2's Arena

OVR: 10

the only time i've seen it was linden on jeff finley in the 96 playoffs. it definet
y shouldn't be the main advertised selling feature of this game i agree but is it going to stop me from buying the game? not at all lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »