Home

Is there any advantage to aggressive play in NHL11?

This is a discussion on Is there any advantage to aggressive play in NHL11? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is there any advantage to aggressive play in NHL11?

In NHL10, a big hit or fight was rumoured to swing the momentum of the game. However, in reality it seemed you were better off just stocking your 4 lines with the best players you could and simply outplay the opposition.
Have any of you noticed whether having a checking line is of any practical value in NHL11?

Thanks (a hard-done by Brit, still waiting...)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Is there any advantage to aggressive play in NHL11?

I've noticed it. I like to throw the body around when I play. After a shift or two of heavy hitting, the CPU will misplay the puck, and throw blind passes. Mostly happens in their zone.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

My third line on my HUT is full of NHL grinders and my fourth line is a TGH, GRN, PWF combo all with high checking. When somebody wants to try an walk all over my boys with their danglers and snipers I just line up a few huge hits with these lines and they start to think twice. Pair those lines up with 2 lines of DFD and all you gotta do is match their scoring lines with your checkers and you can sway any game. Dropping the gloves and winning never hurts either!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Is there a way to make my players play more aggressively, such as a strategy adjustment? I had Crosby check my star player from behind into the bench, and right at the end of the game Tyler Bozak checked one of my players from behind into the boards and injured him for a month. The next time we play I want to make them pay.

BTW I think it's interesting this happened as my team toughness rating is overall pretty low and aside from a few guys I don't have much for hitting on my team. I have Brashear but he was scratched. He won't be when I play PIT again...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

I wish there was a way to tell your goon to start a fight with someone at the next faceoff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think there's a momentum effect for big hits in the game. I was playing with my BaP character last night, a Power Forward, and noticed something special.

On a shift, I leveled a Calgary Hitmen D pretty hard down the board, then I skate up and hit 2 forwards. The 3 line came off the bench and Danick Paquette and Matthew Brown started hitting everything wearing a black jersey.

At the moment, it was 0-0 and the next shift, the second line scored. After that, a close game that was 15-12 in shots when all the way to my advantage and the game ended 4-0.

I don't know for a fact that there's momentum swings in that game, but after I started hitting, the team followed and we dominated. I plan to do this more in the next few games, just to see if there's a trend with that type of play.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I hope you're right, and it's certainly something I'll be testing when I get the game on Friday.
There was supposed to be a similar momentum effect in NHL10 (I think it may even be listed as one of the 'features') but in practice there was just seemed to be more benefit to adding quality in depth.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »