Home

Might be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

This is a discussion on Might be a stupid question, but I have to ask. within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Might be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

If we use authentic puck size as opposed to the default setting, (large, I think?), will we have more or too many goals? The reason It would seem like a smaller puck would find the net easier as it could slip through the goalie in more places. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Right now I'm playing with default puck size and no shadow. It looks fine to me. To be honest, I never knew that the puck size was not authentic until they gave us the option this year to change it.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Might be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

From everything I've read and heard it's visual only and would not impact the play itself.

I could be wrong...happens more than I'd like to admit.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
If we use authentic puck size as opposed to the default setting, (large, I think?), will we have more or too many goals? The reason It would seem like a smaller puck would find the net easier as it could slip through the goalie in more places. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Right now I'm playing with default puck size and no shadow. It looks fine to me. To be honest, I never knew that the puck size was not authentic until they gave us the option this year to change it.
You never noticed the puck was the size of the players heads? That was one of the things that really bugged me about the game... so glad they finally gave us the option to play with a realistic looking puck.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
You never noticed the puck was the size of the players heads? That was one of the things that really bugged me about the game... so glad they finally gave us the option to play with a realistic looking puck.
Ha. No. I actually didn't ever notice.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

I've played 4 games with the authentic puck size since picking the game up at midnight. I haven't seen anything as far as an increase in goals. Prior to setting it to authentic, I played 2 games with the default puck size and they all seemed pretty similar to me.

PSN: hoos4974
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Rookie

graydon20's Arena

OVR: 1

I actually tried this out a whole bunch of times in the demo. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but it felt as if for sure the 'authentic' puck size makes a difference.

If they're using real-time physics and the dimensions of the puck are smaller, the game should reflect that, and from what I've seen in the demo it has. I'll play the first few minutes with the large puck (set by default) and then switch it to authentic. When I switch to authentic I definitely notice the puck bouncing around more, players have a harder time holding on to it, goalies have a harder time dealing with rebounds, especially off the pads.

Like I said, it could all be in my head, but I'm pretty sure the smaller puck does change the game a little. I hope I'm not just imagining it because I've been hoping for an authentic sized puck (works well with small shadow) since they came to 360.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydon20
I actually tried this out a whole bunch of times in the demo. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but it felt as if for sure the 'authentic' puck size makes a difference.

If they're using real-time physics and the dimensions of the puck are smaller, the game should reflect that, and from what I've seen in the demo it has. I'll play the first few minutes with the large puck (set by default) and then switch it to authentic. When I switch to authentic I definitely notice the puck bouncing around more, players have a harder time holding on to it, goalies have a harder time dealing with rebounds, especially off the pads.

Like I said, it could all be in my head, but I'm pretty sure the smaller puck does change the game a little. I hope I'm not just imagining it because I've been hoping for an authentic sized puck (works well with small shadow) since they came to 360.
That was kind of my thinking. But in reality, I doubt it actually makes a difference. I think I'll be playing with it on default with the shadow off. I'm a huge hockey fan, I play hockey, and I've played hockey games all my life. But sometimes I even lose the puck when it is set to authentic.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Rookie

JsMcbain's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
But sometimes I even lose the puck when it is set to authentic.
Then stop playing drunk!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »