Home

NHL 11 Demo Review Roundtable

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Demo Review Roundtable within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 11 Demo Review Roundtable

Four of our writers check in today with their own take on the NHL 11 demo. Check out their impressions about what's good, what's bad, and what they are expecting for the retail version of the game after the jump.

Read More - NHL 11 Demo Review Roundtable
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
The demo was exceptional, so unless EA totally botched the final product, we could be looking at a potential greatest sports video game ever created.

DAMN!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
Have bought every game since 92'. No stopping now.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5
im so excited not the biggest hockey fan cause i dont know all the players but i think that will change this year for sure
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
I was also kind of annoyed by the HUT interface. It's really the only thing that bothered me about the demo. However, this demo made me go from "probably picking it up" to "insta-pre-order"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
I love the demo, but things that need fixing.
- I don't like the .5-1 second delay of a window that pops up when you want to change lines.
- Still seems to be the problem of players now changing lines and staying out on the ice way too long.
- Hitting is still a little too easy to lineup, but maybe that's because I was using more physical players. I did like how sometimes lighter players would bounce off checks or simply get knocked down.

Things I love that they changed:
- Physics. As mentioned, players now have weight. I like the realistic feel of the demo, but feel that most people will increase the game speed.
- Passing. Another wrench thrown into the one-timer glitch goal system, and I love it. Passes don't start till you release the trigger, so it takes into account how hard you want to pass.
- The Faceoff system has potential to be awesome once successfully mastered.
- Penalties. I charged someone into the boards, and got a 5 minute major for boarding. I deserved it, and I was glad to see it called. Probably worthy of a suspension too. Slashing also getting a quick call too.

Have seen quite a few broken sticks, maybe one a game (3rd period), so I guess that's somewhat realistic.

Overall impressed with the gameplay and I'm interested to see how it translates to online games / BAP. But I'm way more intrigued by the features this year. A rare win / win in sports video games.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6
Jayson Young said: [i]"The offensive AI is outstanding. Not just in the offensive end, but in the neutral zone as well. The way your teammates find the open spaces on the ice by constantly repositioning themselves is something I have never seen before in a hockey game."[i]

Wow. Jayson Young's leadoff comment makes me shout... Really??? I guess you've never played a 2K hockey game before! Especially 2K10.

Quite the contrary.. in the demo, I found that my forwards are standing at my blueline when they should be getting open in the neutral zone, even with it set to Attack : Full Out. I popped in my copy of 2K10 after playing the NHL demo, and was shocked at how good the positioning A.I. is in 2K, compared to what is supposed to be 'improved' A.I. in NHL11

I can't argue anything anymore, i know.., because there is no 2K game this year for PS3/360, and I will be playing NHL11 to death this season... but really, folks, 2K hockey never got it's due, partly because of the EA 'goggles' people wear.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 11 Demo Review Roundtable

Just wanted to disagree with the writer that said the skating is still arcady. I totally disagree, skaters have mass now, feels very different from 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »