Home

new to nhl 10 what's the best forechecking, and defense should i use?

This is a discussion on new to nhl 10 what's the best forechecking, and defense should i use? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
new to nhl 10 what's the best forechecking, and defense should i use?

having trouble all around im pretty new to this game and just wanted some input on what forechecking and defense should i use. Also if for some reason i'm having trouble bringing the puck into the offensive zone. I've tried dumping the puck but the defense almost always beats me to the puck. Need help thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: new to nhl 10 what's the best forechecking, and defense should i use?

up the pressure on the fore check and return the favor.

2-1-2 is fairly agressive but the 3-2 is the most agressive by far. If you use a 3-2; be mindful that your blueliners might get burned on the breakaway. You might want to lower your attacking strategy so they will hang back deeper.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by swil
up the pressure on the fore check and return the favor.

2-1-2 is fairly agressive but the 3-2 is the most agressive by far. If you use a 3-2; be mindful that your blueliners might get burned on the breakaway. You might want to lower your attacking strategy so they will hang back deeper.
Your so right Swil about the 3-2.

I tried it a few times...and yeah man, it's very aggressive. Works very well to up the pressure in the offensive zone. But your right, I ended up giving up a number of breakaways. If down a goal late in the game, the 3-2 [aggressive] seems like a good choice.

The 2-1-2 is what I normally use.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

For general use, I'm a fan of the 2-1-2, be it high (defending) or low (attacking) depending on situation and/or team. I find the 1-2-2 low to be largely ineffective due to the middle two forwards tendency to spread out wide, leaving the middle of the ice far too open. It leaves the lead forechecker with little to no support, which the 2-1-2L provides with the second forechecker.

The 1-2-2 high (ie, "the trap") is a bit better implemented if only because the first guy hangs back in the middle, but I still feel the 2-1-2 high is a more effective conservative strategy for my style of play. I rarely use the 3-2 due to the risk, but if you're down late, sometimes you have no choice...
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is one thing that EA should expand on one year, as an educational tool. While many of us have grown up playing hockey, I'd be willing to bet that a huge percentage of people who pick up the game every year don't really understand the strategies, and how and when to use them.

EA should spend some time next year maybe just implementing a small tutorial explaining the strategies, and how and when to use them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

3-2 the best if you need goals.
2-1-2 pretty balanced
1-2-2 for defensive minded guys

IMO, you should only use 3-2 if your team is a big favourite (Detroit vs. Atlanta) or you're behind in the game and desperately need a goal.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
3-2 the best if you need goals.
2-1-2 pretty balanced
1-2-2 for defensive minded guys

IMO, you should only use 3-2 if your team is a big favourite (Detroit vs. Atlanta) or you're behind in the game and desperately need a goal.
Why the hack on my thrashers? haha, just kidding, I know to well, every game has been a challenge. Thanks for advice Fellas! The commentators did say this might be the year Atlanta could make a run. Yeah.....right
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

thank you so much I've tried the 2-1-2 and it helps alot especially in the neutral zone. Another question whats the best defense? I get torched with the tight point and it seems my defense just stands and watches with the collapse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »