Home

The gameplay is way too "clean"

This is a discussion on The gameplay is way too "clean" within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
The gameplay is way too "clean"

Don't get me wrong NHL 09 is a good game but to me it doesn't really feel like NHL hockey for this one big reason. Passes are basically tape to tape every time, there are no battles along the boards for pucks and stick handling is a way too good. Defensive ai could also use some work too.

Overall for next year the game needs to be more "gritty". To me NHL 09 plays almost like an All Star game.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: The gameplay is way too "clean"

Anyone who has played 2K hockey has to agree with you. 2K's an awful game overall, but that's one area where they have NHL 09 beat. And I tell you, EA has to do something about the ridiculously simplistic auto-passing next year. If they don't include a manual passing option, I won't be buying the game, period.

Last edited by baa7; 01-04-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Pro

pf8363's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Anyone who has played 2K hockey has to agree with you. 2K's an awful game overall, but that's one area where they have NHL 09 beat. And I tell you, EA has to do something about the ridiculously simplistic auto-passing next year. If they don't include a manual passing option, I won't be buying the game, period.
I disagree with you. You are right that 2k beats 09 in this category, but 2k is not an awful game overall, in fact, I prefer it to 09... with the right sliders of course. the online sucks in 2k, but thats not what im looking for. I'd rather see solid gameplay over gimmic modes (be a pro) any day. 09 just doesnt feel like hockey to me.

- started 11/15/08
Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

I just think this game is terrible all around.. almost as bad as 2k. Horrible hockey games this year unfortunately. This game doesnt resemble real hockey in the least bit. Terrible
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf8363
You are right that 2k beats 09 in this category, but 2k is not an awful game overall, in fact, I prefer it to 09... with the right sliders of course.
I'll agree the PS2 version of 2K9 overall is better than NHL 09. But 2K9 on the 360 is a horribly broken mess, regardless of slider tweaks. On top of that, it's ugly to look at and an ear sore to listen to. One thing NHL 09 has going for it is polish, regardless of how sterile the gameplay is. 2K9 on the 360 has grittier gameplay as the OP points out, but all that means very little when the game itself is so hard to stomach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
This game doesnt resemble real hockey in the least bit. Terrible.
That I completely agree with, and I've been saying that for a long while. NHL 09 is arcade nonsense. But I can't say NHL 2K is much better as far as that goes. Not the last 2-3 versions of the series, anyway.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
That I completely agree with, and I've been saying that for a long while. NHL 09 is arcade nonsense. But I can't say NHL 2K is much better as far as that goes. Not the last 2-3 versions of the series, anyway.
Yep, I bought 2k9 when it came out and promptly returned it after 3 days .. and I was always a big 2k hockey fan. And then a buddy of mine bought ea nhl 09, despite my repeated warnings not to.. and obviously I wasnt surprised how horrible this game represents hockey.. no board play, no pinning, no puck scrambles.. endless tape to tape laser passes.. its just ridiculous. Hopefully one of the two companies will fix their hockey games this year

Last edited by JT30; 01-04-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

It wont matter.
You will still find something to whine about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »