Home

Game Speed (Slow vs. Normal)

This is a discussion on Game Speed (Slow vs. Normal) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Game Speed (Slow vs. Normal)

Forgive me - I thought this discussion deserved its own thread.

I tried the proposed switch of moving the gameplay speed from SLOW to NORMAL. This match was played at the PRO difficulty in my CM (I play PRO at home and WC on the road) with 15 min half. I am a decent player ... I am 1-1-1 so far into my CM ... so that is the definition of average.

Charlton (ME) vs. Plymouth Argyle (CPU)

1 -- Goals -- 2
15 -- Shots -- 5
8 -- SOT -- 3
62% -- Possession -- 38%
55 -- Tackles -- 22
5 -- Fouls -- 1
1 -- Yellows -- 0
0 -- Reds -- 0
0 -- Injuries -- 3
1 -- Offsides -- 0
2 -- Corners -- 0
53% -- ShotAccuracy -- 60%
79% -- PassAccuracy -- 78%

The biggest thing I noticed about the switch to NORMAL was that my knock-ons (R-Stick) seemed to be much more effective ... I was actually able to get some separation ... so I was happy about this. The second biggest thing I noticed was that my GK was sloppy for both CPU goals (though this may have not been do to the gamespeed).

The first CPU goal came following a free kick. They took the kick from about 40 yards out ... it bounced about it the penalty area ... my GK dove (why?) and parried it right into the path of a CPU attacker. Instant goal. The second CPU goal was also soft ... a dribbler of a shot taken from about 12 yards out that crawled past my GK into the near post ... no idea how my GK was unable to stop it. I got one back in the second half ... a break down the right side with one of my ST's ... he passed across the goal into the 6 yard box ... and my other ST was there to finish.

Some typical things about this match ...
- I killed the CPU is possession / shots / SOT ... but lost anyway.
- The CPU always gets fewer chances ... but gets more goals from them.
- The officiating continues to be embarrising (this is another post for another day).

Still - I am intrigued by the game speed idea - this certainly is worth more discussion. I hope that many of you will keep this conversation going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Game Speed (Slow vs. Normal)

Sp, glad you opened this, and glad it is working out. Sounds like a tough game - what controls are you currently using? Manual/Assisted?

The tackles are where this year's version Pro and World Class should be - so nothing out of the "ordinary" there.

How were the CPU as far as mixing up their play? I'm seeing a bit more variety the last couple of games.

If you're up for it, play a game on Legendary with normal settings. yes, it seems crazy - but if you are where you are at now skill wise - I think you'd find it surprisingly fun.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Well, decided to give this 'speed fix' a shot.

Chelsea (me) vs. Arsenal (cpu)
Legendary - 10 minutes halves
Combination of Assisted and Semi-assisted controls

Score: 2-4
Shots: 15-20
On Target: 7-9
Possession: 53-47
Tackles: 10-8
Fouls: 1-5
Pass Accuracy: 83-79

I obviously didn't list all stats, just the ones that really caught my eye here. This game was crazy. First, I've never played a game against the CPU where they had under 80% passing accuracy. Seeing the ball fly all over the place was a treat.

Second, I think 10 tackles as the user is a record setting low for me. The best part about it was that all the unsuccessful tackles fatigued my defenders to the point of no return (more on that later).

Third, 5 fouls by the CPU on a total of 8 tackles?!? Glorious!! The skill moves are what drew most of them. I was actually able to bait the CPU into bad positioning, work out a knock-on and draw the foul. At least 3 of the 5 fouls came from that technique.

Fourth, the shot totals are misleading in stat form here. I held them to very few in the first half, but as my defenders got tired, their forwards just starting tearing me apart. Down 2, I pushed to an all out attack and started paying dearly for it. Tired defenders pushing up the pitch will get you beat by the long ball all day long. I've never EVER felt the need to adjust my tactics in this game (not to the level of PES anyway) and I found myself clamoring for a new formation, fresh legs, anything. In the end, nothing worked, but it felt good to at least have to try.

The fatigue is on par with PES fatigue with these settings. My typical FIFA approach (R2+X) cost me the game.

I did see quite a few of the insane through-balls from the CPU, but not until the second half after I had made my adjustments. I really attribute to getting beat up in the second half to a tired back-line that I was asking too much of in terms of attack. Quite amazing, really.

If I were to have a gripe about this game, it was the fact that a sweet goal I scored with Malouda hit Alex Song on the foot and it was recorded as an own goal when it probably shouldn't have. It was a goal that had me back in the hunt for about 2 minutes until my back line got torched again for another goal.

I'll say this - playing with these settings on Exhibition is superb. The tension I feel when I play PES was there. The sense of urgency when going behind, the ability to work with the ball (with more control than PES), the opened up play in the middle of the pitch - it was all there. Now, if EA could put together the few peanuts they have between them and get Career Mode anywhere close to the Master League, we'd be in business!

Kudos to Matt10 for suggesting the speed adjustment. It'll take some more games before I'm 100% convinced, but what I've seen so far is promising to say the least.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Insta - great recap man. I smiled just reading that it is working for others (for now). I really do wonder if it was like this before the patch, part of me thinks not - and could after all lean towards the placebo effect, but heck, I'll never know until they invent time travel.

Fatigue is definitely a factor, and now deep into my own season - I'm starting to see how even if I don't trust a player - he's still an able body despite his rating - can't just be using the same 11 when you have 2 games a week (cup).

I agree with you on the fouls conceded. The CPU are really tricky. You can get away with holding down the pressure and secondary pressure button - but you'll get punished playing on legendary.

Branching off that, before this "find", I had to always use the defensive mid fielder pay attention to the runs from the attackers - waiting for that elusive through ball. Now, no need - I can control the player who is marking the ball carrier, my AI teammates will do their jobs and play to their ratings.

I just finished a crazy, enjoyable game...I loss 5-0 to Derby County. Before this game I was thinking..'okay, I'm going to have to do some house rules so not every game feels the same.'

How wrong I was, I got completely dominated, my attacks were dull (until the last 10 minutes) and my defense was sketchy. This is what makes a difference because I had a B squad due to fatigue from trying to make our mark in the FA Cup (2-2 against Sheff Utd). So, essentially the reserves with Hahneman, Doyle and Ebanks-Blake. I bet Derby felt disrespected.

Stats:

Wolves 0-5 Derby (cpu)

Shots: 14/14
On Target: 6/8
Poss: 55% / 45%
Tackles: 26/17 (i was mercilessly slide tackling and pressing after the 3rd goal)
Fouls: 4/3
Cards: none
Corners: 2/2
Offsides: 0/1

Shot Accuracy: 42% (manual!) / 57%
Pass Accuracy: 77% /79%
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

Yeah legendary is a good challenge. I got beat 6-2 by Blackpool with me as Wolves. Really enjoyed the game though.

EDIT: I could have had like 4 or 5, but I missed a few golden chances. My two goals came off a perfectly placed header from a cross, and anothee header from a corner.

I AM HAVING A BLAST WITH THIS GAME!!!

Last edited by jb12780; 11-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

I played a second game tonight ... this time on the road (so I played at WorldClass) to Brentford. I did not think to note all of the stats - but I do recall the pace of the game (and I play all-manual w/ 15-min-half).

The match finished 1-1 ... Brentford scored during stoppage time at the end of the first half (I think it is sort of cheap how the CPU always gets a real solid push *after* it feels like the half/game should be over) ... the CPU CM placed a through pass from about 22 yards out in the center of the pitch into the box ... my CB watched (d'oh!) as the CPU ST went right by him to collect the pass and slot it in.

I answered midway through the second half ... a corner into the box followed by a header for the goal. I had my chance at the end - another cross (this one from open play) and then the header beat the GK but got the crossbar. I was so sure that it was going in ... I had already started to celebrate ... so I was not ready to chase the rebound when it came back off the bar (d'oh part two).

I like NORMAL enough to continue giving it more tries. I am still not sure what is actually different between SLOW and NORMAL ... and if there is any *real* change in how the game is playing ... so other posts/comments are valuable here. But I just want the game to be "fair" and I want it to be fun. If I lose ... then I lose ... but I do not like being cheated (and that happens with the CPU too often).

Last edited by SpHSpH; 11-16-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Two more games played, both as enjoyable as the one I provided the recap for. Got trounced by Coventry 4-1 (I was Hull City). Played a howler of a match between Real Madrid (me) and Barcelona. Tons of drama. In the RM vs Barca game, there were so many fouls (yes!) that Martin and Andy starting commenting on how the game wasn't being allowed to flow! My jaw hit the floor.

I feel like I'm experiencing the so-called Personality Plus quite a bit more as well. My Hull/Coventry game was an entirely different experience than the Real/Barca game. I was pulling off moves and passes in the latter that I've never seen in this game before. It was really pretty cool to see.

The game speed makes a tremendous difference - I'm convinced of that. I played several games after the 'patch' and didn't notice this much of an improvement. Put the two hand-in-hand and this game has become fun again. I actually jumped out of my seat a couple of times during the Real/Barca game - and that's usually reserved for PES!

I'll be curious if more people notice the same thing. All I can say for now is that I'll be spending a lot more time with FIFA than I thought I was going to be.

EDIT: All the great stuff that happens when you change the game speed in Exhibition Mode changes a bit upon entering Career Mode. My guess is down to Manager Prestige, but since there's absolutely no visual feedback in the game of any kind that tells you your team will play like crap when you have a low manager rating, there's really no way to confirm that assumption.

Last edited by instantpop; 11-16-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

Played another one. Normal, 15 min halves, on Legendary.

Everton 1- Fulham 4

Fulham: A.Johnson 22', 45', 70', 82'

Everton: Yakubu 90'

Shots: 12-29
Shots on Target: 8-18
Possession: 43-57
Tackles: 19-29
Fouls: 6-7
Yellow Cards: 0-0
Red Cards: 0-0
Injuries: 2-0
Offsides: 1-4
Corners: 2-6

Got my butt handed to me, but a great game. I had my opportunites, but could not convert. Legendary is where its at.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »