Home

FIFA 21 Review - Presentation and Career Mode Improvements Held Back By Gameplay

This is a discussion on FIFA 21 Review - Presentation and Career Mode Improvements Held Back By Gameplay within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
FIFA 21 Review - Presentation and Career Mode Improvements Held Back By Gameplay

Continuing on from last year, EA gave us a sneak peak of what changes were made...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 21 Review - Presentation and Career Mode Improvements Held Back By Gameplay

Spot on review.

The CM stuff is good. It will definitely add longevity to the mode. Especially with the strict transfers and such. Might be a bit to strict but I'll just take that as an adding challenge. I didn't test it myself but I believe no transaction can take place between rival clubs.

Volta story once again blah I played about 5 minutes of the story and decided I'm good. It does play better but something about the mode doesn't grab me. Still not sure why they don't give your avatar voice option. FIFA *clap* I *clap* AM *clap* NOT *clap* BRITISH!

Agile dribbling it would be cool if only the very best technical players could use it but like you said if everyone can do it what's the point.

Both FIFA and PES just need a foul/ref strictness slider. Why they don't is beyond me.

Ball Physics EA just need to watch how the ball bounces and moves into open space in PES. EA is to reliant on animations much like Madden. Again PES has a good blend of physics and animation based movement.

FIFA is very frustrating as it's always so close to being really good. Either through outright lying or broken gameplay they burn up any good will they earn. Hey we fixed CM, but our FUT guys complained about skill gap so gameplay sucks for offline. Hey Bundesliga package is even better please ignore that we lost 2 leagues and the second division in Italy.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: FIFA 21 Review - Presentation and Career Mode Improvements Held Back By Gameplay

Yeah its sad that we just had to get a year where the finally get the Career mode right to have gameplay suffer this badly, not fair man.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
Pro

ReturnoftheTmac's Arena

Couldn't agree more. I mostly play competitive clubs and this year just seems like a drag with all the gameplay flaws you mentioned and shocker more bugs on Pro Clubs to go along with all the previous ones. Intrigued by the new career mode changes, but as a previous poster said. Kinda hard to get into with the very subpar gameplay.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn

Volta story once again blah I played about 5 minutes of the story and decided I'm good. It does play better but something about the mode doesn't grab me. Still not sure why they don't give your avatar voice option. FIFA *clap* I *clap* AM *clap* NOT *clap* BRITISH!
They have a hidden way of doing this. It wasn't well advertised so not many people know. You simply put subtitles on and your TV on mute and read the words aloud.

As for this review, it is 100% spot on. FIFA doesnt go for realism though or some of these things would've changed in the last 10 years. The lack of marking from midfield is probably the worst aspect of this game. It has improved in a few ways though but idle players (ones not within 10 yards) is still occuring after it plagued FIFA 20 all year. The ball is even more stuck to defenders feet as well and this needs to change as dribblers often keep this ball after somehow surviving a tackle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 02:42 AM   #6
Rookie

Spot on. To me it's amazing that fifa required more skill and was a more competitive game before the e-sports craze. Roll a dice and play any fifa prior to 18. It's a much better game.

I have no idea what's their thinking behind all the new options. There are dozens of options. You can turn off timed finishing, agile dribbling and many other things (and that's great).

You can even turn competitor mode on/off. Who wants to play against a fifa pro? lol

If you could turn off 1v1s and teams defended as teams this would also be as close to football as it could possibly get. And the new defensive awareness stat? Sorry but it should also be an option or a new slider so that we could have AI with a brain. But no.

I don't think this is by accident, this lack of defending defines the experience and overshadows everything else, good or bad. Maybe they just want everyone to be conditioned to how fut plays so they can feel at home there. I don't know. But with the way the game is (not) balanced, FUT and people who like a football game shall never cross paths anytime soon.

This game needs AI/tactics that's closer to football, if they can make competitor mode, they can make a sim mode, there are no excuses. Personally not even contemplating buying the full game for the second year in a row, it has nothing to do with a team sport, it's something like fortnite. The only difference is that competitive fifa is a joke & no one even cares to watch it so I don't know why they are so obsessed with it.

Last edited by Chrisx; 10-07-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8

Excellent review as usual. I am stunned at the setback this game has seen for 21. The only hope we have for this and other EA sports titles is for litigation that destroys Ultimate team. Till then, they will only focus on arcade online $$$.
Twitter
YouTube
Old 10-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
MVP

Wavebird99's Arena

OVR: 10
It sounds like, based on this review and others I've seen on, that the gameplay is largely unchanged from last year. I'm glad headers work properly again, but defensive midfielders not tracking* back was a major issue last season too. Sad to see its not been addressed- thankfully offline sliders were a major help in 20 (loved the community sliders and what they were able to accomplish.)*

Online play has been bad for years now. Its too fast and arcadey, although I understand that appeals to people to some degree. Regardless, I never play online.*

I'm looking forward to career mode's improvements + hoping that some slider tweaks will make the gameplay better. Maybe a couple of game updates will help.*

Great review- the videos in particular were a really nice addition. Definitely one of the best I've seen from the site!*

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »