Home

NCAA athletes will be able to make money from endorsements and other venues starting Thursday

This is a discussion on NCAA athletes will be able to make money from endorsements and other venues starting Thursday within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NCAA athletes will be able to make money from endorsements and other venues starting Thursday

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/sta...245699585?s=21
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NCAA athletes will be able to make money from endorsements and other venues start

I'm at the gym so forgive me if an article is attached to the tweet and it mentions this, but is this just the temporary bill for the students in states that don't have NIL bills going into effect tomorrow, or is this something new that takes precedent over the state bills?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NCAA athletes will be able to make money from endorsements and other venues start

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'm at the gym so forgive me if an article is attached to the tweet and it mentions this, but is this just the temporary bill for the students in states that don't have NIL bills going into effect tomorrow, or is this something new that takes precedent over the state bills?

The NCAA has suspended their rules against players profiting from their likeness. This goes for ALL NCAA athletes. They all are allowed to sign with agents and receive endorsements, starting tomorrow.

The new rules will allow athletes to profit by monetizing social media accounts, signing autographs, teaching camps or lessons, starting their own businesses, and participating in advertising campaigns, among many other potential ventures. Athletes will be allowed to sign with agents or other representatives to help them acquire endorsement deals.

Some opportunities will be restricted, but the types of restrictions will vary based on state laws and policies created by individual schools. For example, some but not all state laws prohibit athletes from endorsing alcohol, tobacco or gambling products. Some but not all laws prohibit athletes from using their school's logos or other copyright material in endorsements.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...likeness-deals
Old 06-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #4
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

A guy on Twitter said "The latest NCAA legislation all but ensures authentic rosters when EA Sports College Football returns in 2023."

There's going to be more to that, but hey it's a promising first step.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I haven't read any technical details, but I don't think this enables group license does it? Obviously EA can still get to having authentic rosters without group licensing, it's just much more work.

I'm not a lawyer, but if group licensing is not permitted, EA could still basically just get some forms sent to each school that outline what the players will be signing over (NIL) and what the compensation package is. The players sign the form if they agree to be in the game, then the forms are sent back to EA, right?

I've brought this up here in the past, but never really saw a solid answer with regards to it.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
A guy on Twitter said "The latest NCAA legislation all but ensures authentic rosters when EA Sports College Football returns in 2023."

There's going to be more to that, but hey it's a promising first step.
Quote:
I haven't read any technical details, but I don't think this enables group license does it? Obviously EA can still get to having authentic rosters without group licensing, it's just much more work.

I'm not a lawyer, but if group licensing is not permitted, EA could still basically just get some forms sent to each school that outline what the players will be signing over (NIL) and what the compensation package is. The players sign the form if they agree to be in the game, then the forms are sent back to EA, right?

I've brought this up here in the past, but never really saw a solid answer with regards to it.

Group Licensing is still something I haven't really seen in any of proposals. That's something I hope is in a federal NIL bill. They can technically still do it, but group Licensing makes it so much resourceful. Without it, it requires so much individual deals. Athlete 1 agrees to the money EA is willing to pay. But Athlete 2, feels he should get more because he has a higher profile. Group Licensing can help negate all that hoopla. It'll allow a single entity to negotiate for all the athletes, so it'll save so much time.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:02 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Group Licensing is still something I haven't really seen in any of proposals. That's something I hope is in a federal NIL bill. They can technically still do it, but group Licensing makes it so much resourceful. Without it, it requires so much individual deals. Athlete 1 agrees to the money EA is willing to pay. But Athlete 2, feels he should get more because he has a higher profile. Group Licensing can help negate all that hoopla. It'll allow a single entity to negotiate for all the athletes, so it'll save so much time.
Even with group licensing the star player could still refuse to be a part of the group and decide to negotiate 1 on 1 to try and get more compensation. Overall, for the 99.99% of players that aren't stars the group licensing will make it a smoother process.

I still believe we'll get group licensing when a federal bill is in place, but I could easily be wrong. I still also believe that we'll have authentic rosters for the release in two years. I also believe if get group licensing that every FBS school will be in the game.

― Plato
Old 06-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Even with group licensing the star player could still refuse to be a part of the group and decide to negotiate 1 on 1 to try and get more compensation. Overall, for the 99.99% of players that aren't stars the group licensing will make it a smoother process.

I still believe we'll get group licensing when a federal bill is in place, but I could easily be wrong. I still also believe that we'll have authentic rosters for the release in two years. I also believe if get group licensing that every FBS school will be in the game.
I don't see an issue with all schools getting in. The biggest issue is litigation. It did feel like schools were jumping on the bandwagon, but as long as players are getting compensated and schools aren't getting sued, it should be good.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any Roster Share. That's not an issue with me. I just want Team Builder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »