Home

Coach Mode

This is a discussion on Coach Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coach Mode

What are some of the frustrating parts to playing coach mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Pro

souljahbill's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Coach Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel6677
What are some of the frustrating parts to playing coach mode?

Having a scrambler at QB. They take off and run too fast for my blood. That's why I only recruit balanced QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahbill
Having a scrambler at QB. They take off and run too fast for my blood. That's why I only recruit balanced QBs.

Never mind the fumbling!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan32
Never mind the fumbling!!!
This is one of the main reasons why I use AutoPass Coach Mode (APCM) instead of True Coach Mode (TCM). With APCM your scrambler won't take off unless you player lock on someone else, which I almost never ever do. That way I can recruit the 85+ SPD QBs to run my option plays and have him still throw the ball when I call pass plays rather than tucking and running all the time. If you still want him to take off and scramble if he so chooses, you can always playerlock on a lineman and then he'll have the chance to scramble just like he does in TCM.

As for the OP:
I can't stand the sideways broadcast cam with TCM so that's the other main reason why I play APCM.

Regardless of the mode (TCM, APCM, normal mode) I highly suggest watching autosims of your FGs/punts. In TCM, for FGs your kicker will never, ever miss unless it's too far for him. If you only attempt FGs within his range, he'll make 100% of them, which isn't realistic.

There are some plays that get bugged. IE. there are some runs/options from the Pistol where the HB is supposed to put his belly on the QB's hands to take the handoff, but instead he'll put his belly on the QB's elbows so that he can't get the handoff. When this happens, the QB will just stand there for a second. In TCM, I think he just stands there and waits to be tackled. In APCM you can take control of the QB and try to get something out of the buggy play.

In TCM the QB usually throws WR mid screens and bubble screens too late, making them ineffective. In APCM I manually throw these screens when they should be, and then let the CPU take over after the catch so it's still coach mode, only with me throwing the ball when it's supposed to be thrown.

In TCM on defense you can't hot route any players other than the 1 you control (I think it's MLB2 in 3-4 and RE in 4-3). In APCM you can hot route anyone you want. I don't hot route often, but sometimes I'll change a hook zone or blitzer to QB spy. I'll also sometimes spread my cover 2 deep zones and then hot route a deep zone between them, turning a cover 2 into a cover 3. If I suspect a screen I'll sometimes hot route a blitzer to a flat zone on the HB's side.
You can't do any of those things with TCM, but can with APCM.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 01-13-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
This is one of the main reasons why I use AutoPass Coach Mode (APCM) instead of True Coach Mode (TCM). With APCM your scrambler won't take off unless you player lock on someone else, which I almost never ever do. That way I can recruit the 85+ SPD QBs to run my option plays and have him still throw the ball when I call pass plays rather than tucking and running all the time. If you still want him to take off and scramble if he so chooses, you can always playerlock on a lineman and then he'll have the chance to scramble just like he does in TCM.

As for the OP:
I can't stand the sideways broadcast cam with TCM so that's the other main reason why I play APCM.

Regardless of the mode (TCM, APCM, normal mode) I highly suggest watching autosims of your FGs/punts. In TCM, for FGs your kicker will never, ever miss unless it's too far for him. If you only attempt FGs within his range, he'll make 100% of them, which isn't realistic.

There are some plays that get bugged. IE. there are some runs/options from the Pistol where the HB is supposed to put his belly on the QB's hands to take the handoff, but instead he'll put his belly on the QB's elbows so that he can't get the handoff. When this happens, the QB will just stand there for a second. In TCM, I think he just stands there and waits to be tackled. In APCM you can take control of the QB and try to get something out of the buggy play.

In TCM the QB usually throws WR mid screens and bubble screens too late, making them ineffective. In APCM I manually throw these screens when they should be, and then let the CPU take over after the catch so it's still coach mode, only with me throwing the ball when it's supposed to be thrown.

In TCM on defense you can't hot route any players other than the 1 you control (I think it's MLB2 in 3-4 and RE in 4-3). In APCM you can hot route anyone you want. I don't hot route often, but sometimes I'll change a hook zone or blitzer to QB spy. I'll also sometimes spread my cover 2 deep zones and then hot route a deep zone between them, turning a cover 2 into a cover 3. If I suspect a screen I'll sometimes hot route a blitzer to a flat zone on the HB's side.
You can't do any of those things with TCM, but can with APCM.
How do you run option plays with APCM? Won't the QB always keep it on a read option, for example?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Jazon654's Arena

Coach Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
How do you run option plays with APCM? Won't the QB always keep it on a read option, for example?

Qb will still pitch on option plays
Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
On options with just a pitch (speed option, load option, power option, etc) the QB will pitch it just fine and you don't need to do anything.

On options with a mesh (read option, triple option, inverted veer, etc) the QB won't hand off on his own, as you noted. For these options I player lock on an O-lineman and then snap the ball. Because I'm not controlling the QB any more, then he'll run the option like he's supposed to (I'm a run-first spread option guy so I call a lot of options).

From time to time (probably not even once per game) I'll player lock on the OL for a pass play so that my scrambler can scramble if he chooses, but the entire reason I called a pass play in the first place was because I wanted him to throw the ball, so I very rarely do that. But if you want yourQB to scramble during APCM, this is how you do that.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Thanks, Jello! Good stuff. I, too, hate the camera angle for coach mode itself (which I just discovered recently).

What sliders do you use for coach mode, by the way? I notice you've been at it for a long time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »