Home

Ways To Challenge Yourself in Dynasty

This is a discussion on Ways To Challenge Yourself in Dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 21
Ways To Challenge Yourself in Dynasty

I'm curious if anybody has any decent ways to effectively challenge oneself in dynasty. I mean, other than fiddling with difficulty and sliders.

For instance, my friend and I recently started using a few house rules for dynasty. If you're an OC you can run any offense you want and can set the recruiting plan, but have to let the CPU do the actual recruiting. If you're a head coach you can recruit whomever you like, but have to run whatever offense and defense your coordinators run.

So, any suggestions? I'm especially looking for recruiting restrictions since, due to being 20 years into the dynasty, our recruiting classes are always ranked #1 and #2. It's to the point where we end up cutting 5 and 4 star players.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
MVP

Clemsonpanther's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Ways To Challenge Yourself in Dynasty

Dont oversign for one thing
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Banned

martywebb's Arena

OVR: 0

Honestly, more strict recruiting rules (like Clemsonpanther suggested.) Also, if you want to dabble in it, Coach Mode really handcuffs you a bit. I've had some blowouts, I've received some blowouts, but the games that are down to the wire are so intense when you aren't controlling what's happening other than the play call itself.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

My recruiting restrictions:
  • Can only recruit and sign max of 5 players that are 4 star or higher
  • Can only recruit 1 player nationally (all other recruits must be from a conference state, in my case SEC)
  • Must cut any player recruited/assigned to your team by the CPU (for some bewildering reason, the CPU will add 1 to 3 players to my class, even though I've got recruiting assistance off.

Even with the above listed rules, I still can get a top ten class, so I may go to a max of 4 players 4 star or higher to increase challenge.

A couple of other things I do is only allow 1 redshirt per season and only allow 1 attempt per offseason to try to persuade a player to stay (when they declare or want to transfer)
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

#1 should always be to only sign up to 70 players and not cut anyone that you signed.

You should also cut all of the "phantom" recruits that the AI signs for you anyway (even with all recruiting assists turned off) like Stone Calf mentioned. The game usually tries to get you as close to 25 signings as it can, so I've seen as many as 10 extra guys signed for me before and with 6* Michigan, some of these guys are really, really good (but not usually).

I've found that by far the best way to limit recruiting classes is to limit your coaching skills. For starters I'm using the slowest progression rate so even though I'm in year 22 of my dynasty, I'm still only a level 31 coach (54 is max). If I were on normal progression I'm sure I would've maxed out at 54 a long time ago.
Then I've implemented these recruiting tree restrictions which work awesomely:

I can only put 2 points into the following skills:
  • Royal Treatment
  • Opener
  • Closer
  • Kitchen Sink (have to spend 3 points to get 20 point requirement. CANNOT SPEND MORE THAN 600 PER RECRUIT)
  • Insta-commit
With these restrictions there are guys that I have to fight tooth and nail for as well as guys that I simply cannot sign, even as 6* Michigan. If I were allowed 3 points in royal treatment and kitchen sink, I could sign not only ANY recruit I wanted, but also EVERY recruit I wanted before the offseason (I know this from experience).

Another recruiting restriction is that I can't recruit any player that is 1* higher than my school's prestige unless I'm in their top 10 or they're from home state.

Finally, the other most important way to limit you recruiting is that when adding recruits during the season(not the preseason), I can only add someone that has me in his top 10 already. It WAAAAAAAAAAY too easy to find superstars midway through the season that have no one pursuing them. By requiring them to have me in their top 10, it really, really cuts down on the cheesy signings you can otherwise get.

Another rule I used to have was that no more than 20% of a class can be ATHs. This was because ATHs weren't recruited as much as other classes, but I've removed that restriction as I've later found that the CPU does a good job of going after ATHs after all.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 03-09-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1

As i agree with most of those house rules are very simple.
1. I can only add players who are interested to my board in the preseason.
2. I can only pursue his after scouting them fully.
3. After the preseason i can only have a max of 20 recruits on my board.
4. The most critical for me, no JUCO guys, unless i am starting out with a terrible team who needs the help now and there is no one else left that's any good. This one has been the hardest for me cause they are already 70 plus most of the time and are instant starters on the terrible teams.
Either way good luck on making it challenging. I have stopped playing games and started doing them just to do the recruiting.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

OVR: 0

How are you guys starting your dynasty? As HC/DC/ or OC? Also, what star teams?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso122783
How are you guys starting your dynasty? As HC/DC/ or OC? Also, what star teams?
I started as the OC at 1* ULL. I was there for 2 years and then I was the HC for Buffalo. After 1 year (I should've forced myself to stay at every school for at least 2 years) I went on to be HC for UConn. After 1 year I was the HC for ASU for 5 years. Then I got my dream job as HC of Michigan and I've been there ever since (2022-2034 so far).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »