Home

Throwing the deep ball

This is a discussion on Throwing the deep ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Throwing the deep ball

We all know the situation:

You get a single high safety look pre snap and the CB is walked up in press man against your stup 92+ speed receiver. You hot route to send him deep. Post snap the WR has a step on the WR. You throw the ball and lead the receiver. The ball is underthrown.

Is there a way to overthrow the receiver?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Throwing the deep ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter

You get a single high safety look pre snap and the CB is walked up in press man against your stup 92+ speed receiver. You hot route to send him deep. Post snap the WR has a step on the WR. You throw the ball and lead the receiver. The ball is underthrown.

Yes. Either with a stiff wind at your back or slightly pressing up on the left stick. Push the throw button down and right before he releases the ball let up on it. You'll bomb some throws.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter

I overthrown a deep wr many times, sometimes by 20 yards it seems, Then again I play with my user accuracy at 0-5. My problem isn't underthrowing it, but the wr getting separating from the cb. Seems like even when I have a 99 overall receiver with great speed, he struggles to get a few strides in front on the deep ball every time.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

With user QBA @ 5 I sail the ball long a LOT of times on streaks. It's frustrating to have a WR with 5 yards on the only defender in the area only to launch it 15+ yards beyond the WR. That said, I hit my WR more often than I'll air mail it. I don't know that I ever throw it short, but when I have WR with a few steps on the defender I lead him down the field so that's why I don't throw it short.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have been playing lately on default Heisman level where I have noticed a number of underthrown deep balls even with QB's who have 90+ THP ratings. After playing an entire season on default (THA slider at 50)I decided to go back to my old slider set. I have the THA slider set at 15 on All-American where I'm now seeing those deep balls find their target more often verses the ball underthrown by 5 yards or flat. Very seldom do I used the right stick if my guy has a couple of steps but with the slider at 50 I was using it every deep throw to still see it underthrown. I'm seeing similar results as "Canesfin" and "Jello" with a lower slider setting so check your sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

The sliders I'm using has QBA at 5 I believe, I'll check later and edit/post if not. But I've only had problems with deep balls sailing if the QB isn't "in rhythm," yet. Which gets a bit annoying, as a 90+ accuracy QB can't lead a pass worth a damn until quite a few throws or yards (haven't figured out which yet), and bugs me. Granted I also loft the ball so that might make a difference (usually only throw bullets on a deep route if it is within the first 10-15 yards, generally the slot guy getting open between zones.)
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotedelmar
The sliders I'm using has QBA at 5 I believe, I'll check later and edit/post if not. But I've only had problems with deep balls sailing if the QB isn't "in rhythm," yet. Which gets a bit annoying, as a 90+ accuracy QB can't lead a pass worth a damn until quite a few throws or yards (haven't figured out which yet), and bugs me. Granted I also loft the ball so that might make a difference (usually only throw bullets on a deep route if it is within the first 10-15 yards, generally the slot guy getting open between zones.)
This is how it is for me too. With 5 QBA my QB is pretty incapable of throwing the ball where I want (I've had him throw bubble screens, which should of course be behind the LOS, 10 yards down field before) until he's warm (yellow). Once he's warm or hot (red) or on fire (pulsing red) he throws it where I want, but when he's neutral (grey) or heaven forbid cool or cold (blue) he's very inaccurate.

I accept this whole heartedly because even with QBA on 10 my QB throws the ball exactly where I want roughly 95% of the time (which for the 90+ SPD scramblers I recruit isn't realistic). It usually means that my first drive or two feature a lot of options and screens to get my QB in rhythm. The bane of my existence is 3rd and med/long (even 3rd and 5 or 6 is brutal) because I know there's a very slim chance that my QB can complete the pass until he's warmed up.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 05-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 3

I'm digging this up because I am having issues throwing deep.

Anyone who is good at throwing deep (particularly against users) - is their a technique to it? It isn't just having a QB with high throwing power is it - because like what has been said, I am still underthrowing those?

Is their a time in the pattern when it is too late to throw the deep ball and it will be underthrown regardless of attributes?

Is their a technique to it (like what prd689 said)?

I understand lead pass and touch/bullet throws, but I cannot overthrow a deep ball either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »