Home

Defending "Elite" Offenses

This is a discussion on Defending "Elite" Offenses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Defending "Elite" Offenses

What do you do when you're facing an offense with particularly special talent? Something along the lines of a prodigy QB, a SPD 99 tailback and three talented receivers. In the hands of a human player, such offenses can seem invincible. What is the best defensive philosophy when you play a team like this? The inability to generate pass rush with my front four due to the mechanics of the game makes it tougher. Any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Defending "Elite" Offenses

The best defense is a time consuming offense. Even if you run no huddle the entire game, run the playclock down under 7 seconds and stick to your gameplan even when your down 14 points, especially in the first half. Don't play the score, play your drive.
When you are on D, set your team to conservative for big hits and don't go for fumbles. Manipulate the ball carrier to run towards your defenders for a gang tackle, do your best to wait and not have to try a solo tackle.
If your playing against another person, control the game by making them play to their weakness. For example, if they like to run a west coast type offensive, play short zones and force them to pass it deep. Run a lot? Dare them to pass. Also, you don't need to get sacks, just make the QB uncomfortable.
I know it's easier said then done. If nothing else, minimize your mistakes. You don't need to beat the other team and yourself.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Rookie

I always spy with a speedy defensive player on a mobile qb. On top of that, I blitz a lot with my lbs if they're in a passing personnel. The key is getting turnovers. If you can, they will be forced to start airing it out and go for deep balls. That takes time and leads to sacks or more ints.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I never believed in changing a defensive style or gameplan based on the ability of specific players (stars or otherwise) on the offensive side. Instead, I always focus on the tendencies of the offense in various situations and combine that with general patterns that apply to almost any offense.

Offenses tend to develop their style around their stars and football is a game of situations where a sound and aware team can overcome a stud player or two.

I recommend gameplanning for situations, personnel groupings, and overall team tendencies over trying to "shut down" a specific player (more relevant to basketball, IMO).
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Rookie

Blitz blitz blitz blitz.

Force quick decisions.

Again, blitz! It's the best strategy in NCAA and has been for years. The best players have always been the guys that can get pressure and user pick.

The new "ball hawk" feature seems like user picking is gonna be overpowered this year tho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

Playing against a human, I would use a lot of zone blitzes with a man spy. From my experience people get way more confused against a zone coverage especially when your blitzing from all over the place. Like another person said, you have to force them to make quick decisions, playing a zone forces them to throw more timing routes.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

My personal philosophy is to contain when they are on their own side of the 50 to force shorter play results and longer drives and then tighten the screws on my own side of the field based on what they've been calling. The whole idea being the more plays people run the higher the chance that they'll make a mistake and I'll get a "free" possession to work with.

I also do my best to confuse the opponents, especially if they are pass heavy. A good mix of zone and man. Last second audibles to disguise coverages. Show blitz when in cover 3. Those sorts of things.

One of my favorites is to come out in cover 3, formation audible to 2 man so my corners walk up, then before the snap reset the play so my corners bail close to the snap.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

A lot of quality insight here. This has turned into a good thread. How is the ballhawk feature any more different than in years past? It's just pressing the B button to control the closest defender when the ball is in the air. How is that any different than previous versions?

In times past, I've used Cover 3 and Man Under, and had success, but nonetheless I will occasionally give up some big plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »