Home

Here's where presentation just destroys immersion...

This is a discussion on Here's where presentation just destroys immersion... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Here's where presentation just destroys immersion...

This is why I feel the game needs context sensitive presentation. The announcers simply are unaware of the background of the teams playing.

I'm playing as OC of Idaho. I went into the final game of my schedule at 7-4, with a 5-1 WAC record. The last game of the year is on the road against Nevada, who is ranked #22, 8-3, and also 5-1 in the WAC. The winner wins the conference outright. This is a huge game for these teams.

The announcers say something like "Looks like we might get another good contest in the WAC". No mention of how important the game is. No mention of the "cinderalla season" I'm having or my massive underdog status blah blah.

The game ends and I win 27-10 in a huge upset and what has to easily be the biggest win in Idaho's history. Heck even I was stunned I won it, since every time I played a decent team I got plastered.

"So for Idaho, their record goes to an impressive 8-4".

That's it. Ho hum. Combine that with the utterly bizarre and generic comments Herbstreit makes (things like "this guy's been working all week on his accuracy" or whatever). Just totally random stuff. Can't the game at least look at the fact that maybe a player had a bad game last week and say something like "He's trying to bounce back from a rough outing last week where he was held to 20 yards" etc.

This sort of thing would go miles toward really immersing you. I want a pregame/halftime/postgame analysis that is based off real info, in game commentary that sounds like the guys are actually watching the game.

The gametrack stuff is a step in the right direction but a baby step.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Here's where presentation just destroys immersion...

You're right, I've been saying it every single year (for Madden as well minus this year) - how hard would it be for the developers to just watch a college football game on TV, then just do their best to replicate. Soak in the feel of the game, the atmosphere, the commentary - the shouting commentary - the possible upset, the surprise stand out player. etc.

Seriously, how hard is it? Is it THAT hard to create overlays or commentary that build up presentation for the moment? Have you ever noticed that each game you watch on TV, each game feels different. There is a pretense - and as the game goes along, the presentation ADJUSTS.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
You're right, I've been saying it every single year (for Madden as well minus this year) - how hard would it be for the developers to just watch a college football game on TV, then just do their best to replicate. Soak in the feel of the game, the atmosphere, the commentary - the shouting commentary - the possible upset, the surprise stand out player. etc.

Seriously, how hard is it? Is it THAT hard to create overlays or commentary that build up presentation for the moment? Have you ever noticed that each game you watch on TV, each game feels different. There is a pretense - and as the game goes along, the presentation ADJUSTS.
Exactly. Now on the surface, it might seem like it's a pipe dream. How can an AI capture the endless dynamic variations of real college football?

But it's not as hard as all that. If you watch any college football game there are certain themes that are repeated over and over. As you pointed out things like the standout players, an upset in the making, a team's winning streak, the history of the teams against each other, how the game will affect conference standings, etc etc.

There could be 100 different things the context sensitive analysis could check for. But they are all quantifiable things you could draw from the stats, which the game carefully keeps throughout a dynasty.

In the end these things are the TEMPLATE for the commentary, but what makes college football so dynamic is the data plugged into that template. How that data is processed and presented makes for limitless combinations of drama in the game. It's utterly doable.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I have had commentator sounds at 0 for the last two years for this reason precisely. Not only is it just incredibly dull listening to basic canned commentary in otherwise exciting and intense circumstances, but it started taking away from the game because I'd just be focused on the idiotic commentary.

I get that you can't have commentary for every situation in the game, it isn't feasible and if given a choice between working on that and working on atmosphere elsewhere in the game, I'd look elsewhere. However, commentary has not improved one bit for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't even be opposed to a "generic" crew if the voice actors doing the roles could fully commit and could spend the full cycle getting so many variations to these situations.

All that said, I want them to work on two other "atmosphere" related things first:

1) Interactive/reactive crowd noise. Louder as a big play develops, oohs and aahs after a big hit, boos after a few 3 and outs to downright chaos in places like Penn State or Florida, especially for big rivalry games. I mean flat out pandemonium in these places. Ditch the "home field advantage" of forgetting WR buttons and just have the visitor QB's world rocked.

2) Interactive/reactive sideline. Look at the sidelines in any college game, in addition to the players, coaches, staff, game crew, you have boat loads of media and VIPs, cheerleaders and mascots and they are on top of the field just about everywhere. I've been on the sidelines for games, it is packed with everyone standing right off that white line.

During the game, you should see people roaming the sidelines, the 'get-back' coach shoo'ing guys off the white line, players waving towels or putting helmets in the air, guys jumping up and down after a huge hit or guys running with a player or motioning him onward as he runs by on a huge play. If there is a big hit out of bounds or a guy running out of bounds, the players over there should grab him to hold him up or jump out of the way.

The bigger the game/schools, the more loaded the sidelines. For a San Diego State/North Texas game, it should be fairly empty but a Florida/Florida State game or National Title should be LOADED with people. I mean, the entire stadium should be on top of the guys on the field. You don't get that feel at all in NCAA12, everything is so distant. In most stadiums, the crowd and the sidelines are right on top of you on the field, it can be suffocating for road players, especially those not used to the big time (like when a Troy visits Nebraska).

Those two things are much more important than new commentary, although they all go hand in hand. It cannot possibly be that difficult to implement these things. But then again, you wouldn't think it was that difficult for all the features to work when the game is released.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I have had commentator sounds at 0 for the last two years for this reason precisely. Not only is it just incredibly dull listening to basic canned commentary in otherwise exciting and intense circumstances, but it started taking away from the game because I'd just be focused on the idiotic commentary.

I get that you can't have commentary for every situation in the game, it isn't feasible and if given a choice between working on that and working on atmosphere elsewhere in the game, I'd look elsewhere. However, commentary has not improved one bit for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't even be opposed to a "generic" crew if the voice actors doing the roles could fully commit and could spend the full cycle getting so many variations to these situations.

All that said, I want them to work on two other "atmosphere" related things first:

1) Interactive/reactive crowd noise. Louder as a big play develops, oohs and aahs after a big hit, boos after a few 3 and outs to downright chaos in places like Penn State or Florida, especially for big rivalry games. I mean flat out pandemonium in these places. Ditch the "home field advantage" of forgetting WR buttons and just have the visitor QB's world rocked.

2) Interactive/reactive sideline. Look at the sidelines in any college game, in addition to the players, coaches, staff, game crew, you have boat loads of media and VIPs, cheerleaders and mascots and they are on top of the field just about everywhere. I've been on the sidelines for games, it is packed with everyone standing right off that white line.

During the game, you should see people roaming the sidelines, the 'get-back' coach shoo'ing guys off the white line, players waving towels or putting helmets in the air, guys jumping up and down after a huge hit or guys running with a player or motioning him onward as he runs by on a huge play. If there is a big hit out of bounds or a guy running out of bounds, the players over there should grab him to hold him up or jump out of the way.

The bigger the game/schools, the more loaded the sidelines. For a San Diego State/North Texas game, it should be fairly empty but a Florida/Florida State game or National Title should be LOADED with people. I mean, the entire stadium should be on top of the guys on the field. You don't get that feel at all in NCAA12, everything is so distant. In most stadiums, the crowd and the sidelines are right on top of you on the field, it can be suffocating for road players, especially those not used to the big time (like when a Troy visits Nebraska).

Those two things are much more important than new commentary, although they all go hand in hand. It cannot possibly be that difficult to implement these things. But then again, you wouldn't think it was that difficult for all the features to work when the game is released.
I think the main problem with #2 is simply processing power. You've already got 22 hi-res guys running around the field smoothly animated. The reason the sideline/crowd people look so basic is because that's all the spare processing power there is to animate. I just doubt there is enough power left to add more people and have them roaming the sidelines etc. Heck we don't even have a chain gang.

I agree that "more" commentary isn't what is needed. More of the same canned stuff will get stale just like what we have now. But context sensitive commentary that actually analyzed and makes intelligent commentary about the game based on the data at hand would be a total game changer. You would feel like you were part of something real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Commentary has changed minimially since I start buying the series in 2001. Seriously, Herby and Nessler (Herby especially) barely do anything else in the off season...bring them in for a couple of days to the studio and have them re-write the commentary and re-do it. I want emotion, backstory and something new.

Also, the bands need to change. They still sound the exact same. All sound too studio and not authentic.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Banned

First thing I do on NCAA is disable commentary and crank up on the field sounds...
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Honeslty.......if it wasn't for GameTracks showing them in between quarters, I forget that the band is actually there.

Far as people moving on the sidelines, it isn't processing power that is the problem. Considering NBA 2K11 had coaches walking up and down the sidelines, mascots dancing up and down the sideline behind the baskets, fans waving and all that. So therefore it can be done.

Commentary sounds bad because the 2 commentators aren't there together. They record alone on seperate days and one of the developers just piece it together. This was shown on their own making of NCAA 12 tv show.

Those guys need to be sitting in the studio at the same time, saying lines together, that way it would sound more natural flowing.

As it stands now, like it has always been for this series, it feels and sound canned. There is no hype for rivarly games, small schools having an outstanding season, freshmen or non all american players having a break out year, no hype for bowl games or even the championship game.

All the games sound the same in the same tone. And what really gets me is when they make blatant mistakes. For example:

Saying the ball went into the end zone, it is a touch back, when clearly the ball went out at the 7 yard line and the players are currently lining up at the 7 yard line before he even starts talking.

Or they will be talking about a star player that has been out since week 1 and it is now week 8. Why in the world would a team have to worry about a player that has been knocked out of the season since week 1 ?

Or how about my FB who was having a break out year, 800 yards rushing, 300 receiving, 16 TDs, he didn't even get talked about at all.

They need to be more aware of the season stats and what is actually going on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »