Home

The Ultimate Spread/Read Option Guide

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Spread/Read Option Guide within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
The Ultimate Spread/Read Option Guide(EDITED)

THE SPREAD OPTION
by lccowboys

Skill:USE PLAYMAKERS SLIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Best sliders for the spread. Absolutly love them.

Flex Formations:
Flex formations are formations that have the RB diagonal to the QB to add a more physical approach.
The flex formations are best suited for power running backs because of
downhill running, but are still extremely effective for speed runningbacks. These formations are everywhere in the game.

Flex formations in NCAA 11:
SPREAD FLEX
4WR TRIO
4WR TRIO STR
SPLIT OFFSET
WING OFFSET
SLOT F WING(not Florida)
NORMAL FLEX WING

REGULAR SHOTGUN:
Unlike flex, the regular shotgun formations add more of a finesse approach.

Formations in NCAA 11:
Basically every other formation thats not a flex.

Audibles:
Wr screen(outside)
Bubble
Zone
Speed
(your choice)

Guide to Using this offense:
Flex is great because you can add physicalness to your running game, but still allow some decent passing. On the other hand, there are far more regular shotgun formations in the game, and you will usually get alot more diversity and big plays from the regular shotgun formations,and flex formations in this game only have 5 blockers(excluding wing formations). If your team is more finesse, look for the regular shotgun formations. If more power, try the flex's.

On to my next point, men in the box. The box is about 2-3 yards outside the tackle/TE and 6-7 yards deep. The good thing about the zone read is that you take away 1 defender because of the read itself. Example, they put 6 men in the box and you have 5 blockers. Take away 1 defender(DE or outside defender) because he is the guy you are reading. You win in the numbers game because you have 5 blockers against 5 defenders. There is a limit to how many defenders there can be in the box in certain formations.

Numbers Table
5 blockers= max 6 in box
6 blockers= max 7 in box
7 blockers= max 8 in box

Now lets say you come out in spread flex. They bring in the safety for that 7th man in the box.
The zone read is non effective against this defense because 1 man is left unblocked. But, the recievers that are not covered by any defensive backs. This defense is vulnerable to the quick pass. Audible to slants and throw to the slot that doesnt have an outside defender(unless both sides do) because the 7th man in the box is on the right side. 1st down. Or you can run a screen (throwing hot to flat reciever in slants play is best IMO).

HOW TO RUN READ:
But lets say they still with 6 men in box, you should just run the read. Now, if the DE sits to contain QB, hand it off. Now read the OLB or MLB to that side. If he sprints out, run where he was. If he blitzes, you should either cut back hard or run outside tight.
Now lets say the DE crashes. Keep it and run healline(where the DE left).

HINT: Ive found in my last couple dynasty games with WVU that when you keep it with the QB there are not only holes to the outside, the are holes in the inside. Example: You get a keep read and you see an outside linebacker blitz. Your thinking "Oh @#$!, im about to get owned". But when you take your time and look for the best hole, you'll see the best alley to run is up the middle. Believe me, I've broken off more 50+ yards with the QB on the read running up the MIDDLE than bootlegging outside.

WHERE TO RUN IN ZONE READ:
Believe it or not, pre snap read can give you a hint on where to go with the football. If your running zone read out of any shotgun formation and they have an OLB or S or anybody outside of side you are reading, please, dont run right at him. Keep it turn upfield! If they dont have anyone out there, do a bootleg or healline.
WHEN TO HOLD SPRINT:
Believe it or not, deciding when to hold the sprint button is crucial to the zone read play. When you hold the sprint button, the defense becomes faster and comes after you. The best time to hold the sprint button is when you commit to 1 hole on the defense. Get past the line of scrimmage first, then turn on the jets. EDIT:(HOLD SPRINT WHEN YOU HAND IT OFF ON A GIVE READ! MAKES SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE)
QUICK PASSING:
Now lets go to a trio formation. The defense decides to put 7 men in the box and back off your x or z(outside) receivers.

Audible to a outside WR screen. The bubble most likely wont work because of the OLB. Wait for the WR to turn around, and zing it. Follow your blocks down field.

Now lets say they still have 7 in the box, but the OLB is behind the D-line.

Bubble screen should work here. No outside man to contain unless the DE does. Very rare though.
If the CB press, the screens should still work but also look for the fade route on the outside.

Cant stress it enough, but quick slants is a great play. If no one is going to pick up the flat reciever(slot) throw it HOT(fast) and get upfield. If the CB sits or someone contains flat reciever the slant should be open.
THE QB WRAP
Its the reverse read of the zone. The tackle will be pulling to seal either the DE or the OLB. The de is unblocked (unless you come out with 6 or more blockers). HAND IT OFF. There should be a huge whole because of the pulling tackle and the flex allows for downhill so the DE will not be able to tackle the RB. 3-5 yards almost every time. Now if they unblocked DE stays. keep it and look for B gap first then anything outside.

Speed Option:
Remember in NCAA football 09 online? People abused pat white and noel devine on the speed. Now that that is fixed, it can be used in more of a realistic term. If the Defense comes out with alot of men in the box, but overloads the trips side. You can see alot of green to the outside. The only guy out there is the CB covering the WR.

Your WR should block the CB down field and the safety is going to have to make that tackle. Speed option is very effective against this type of defensive front. Only front i recommend using speed option with.

THE TRIPLE OPTION:
Formation sub to twin HB.The triple option is most effective out of split offset. My absolute FAVORITE play is Triple option WK.Best play to get your QB and 2nd RB into the open field. In this one, you can run against 7 defenders. Same read as zone. Now if you keep it, first look to cut upfield when you reach outside the box. If the safety is running straight at you and looking to plow you, pitch it right when he commits to you. Very effective play.
Another version of the triple option is the slot option. Same thing and read as the triple, but with a slot receiver.

Vertical Passing Game:
Four verticals read: Read safeties. If they split look for outside receiver. If its 1 high, look for seam route. If safety goes over tap of that route, the other seam should be open

Curls read: Look at safety. If he goes for post route there should be no help with curl. If defense is backing off throw curl. If not check down. If safety helps with curl, post should be open.

Stick:First look at slant. Man? Throw the slant. Zone? Look at the zone defender where the stick and flat route are. If he follows flat, stick is open. If he stays on stick, flats open.

Shallow cross: Look at dig route receiver, if the man covering him blitzes throw it HOT (fast) to that receiver. If not, look at drag. Open? Throw it. If not check down or look for dig route.

Mesh: See if defense is running zone with the motion the WR is doing. If he is, look at smash route first, if not open check off to one of the drag routes. If man, hit the drags.

Hints:
Dont just run the zone reads and triple options and all that. Mix in some QB iso. 5 wr QB iso is effective, but only do with 6 men in box. If not audible to screen. Also put in some regular runs such as sweep or toss, mix it up.
Hurry Up. Get to line FAST (ahhem Oregon). Make the defense tired.
Establish Balance. Please. For your offense really to be effective you need to make the defense focus on either stopping the pass or run, blitzing will literally make this offense look as bad as Tom Brady's haircut. A defense CANNOT defend both.

Effective Playbooks:
Mississippi State
Michigan
West Virginia
Auburn
Oregon
UL Monroe
Florida
Southern Mississippi
Missouri
Wyoming
UAB
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers

Last edited by lccowboys; 12-05-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: more detail. spelling edits
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The Ultimate Spread/Read Option Guide

i've been doing this during my dynasty except using the miss state pb due to it having more of my taste in the pb it has iirc 5-6 formations where the rb is alittle behind the qb.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

I like mississipi stats playbook too, but the only problem is that there quick slants play doesnt have a flat reciever. All 4 wr's do slants.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccowboys
I like mississipi stats playbook too, but the only problem is that there quick slants play doesnt have a flat reciever. All 4 wr's do slants.
you can just HR to flats if you want them in flats but i use zone read out of almost all of formations just due to all the practice that i've got it down pretty well my only problem is online because its too laggy to consistantly run it.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

This can go for different formations also. It doesnt just have to be flex's it can be regular shotgun also. Im just mentioning what formations I mostly use. You can use 2 rb formations such as split slot or wing. Sorry if "ultimate" to you means a 5 page essay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccowboys
This can go for different formations also. It doesnt just have to be flex's it can be regular shotgun also. Im just mentioning what formations I mostly use. You can use 2 rb formations such as split slot or wing. Sorry if "ultimate" to you means a 5 page essay.
kinda what i was hoping for too but atleast it was good advice for those who were having troubles with running the offense.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Sweatervest would like to talk to you....
Old 10-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CObra-la
Sweatervest would like to talk to you....
i remember that good ole thing i printed it all out was one of the best option guides ever and its actually the reason i still run it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »