Home

Beating Alabama

This is a discussion on Beating Alabama within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Beating Alabama

Any strategies for how to stop their run? Attack them on defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Pro

nyqua's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Beating Alabama

Don't be scared of their ratings. I beat them 40-10 and 48-10 as PSU in my dynasty in back-to-back years.

Hope for lots of turnovers, that's mainly how I won that big.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyqua
Don't be scared of their ratings. I beat them 40-10 and 48-10 as PSU in my dynasty in back-to-back years.

Hope for lots of turnovers, that's mainly how I won that big.
Well thats no surprise, look who you beat them with lol
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you mean offline, just use an aggressive defense, I think the best defense is the 4-2-5 if you have a good safety to stop the deep pass, and try to win the time of possession battle. If you mean online, you pretty much just need to be better than your opponent or get some lucky turnovers. Once again, I think a 4-2-5 would help a little. A good person playing with Bama is pretty hard to beat without abusing the game.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

bama was very tough for me to beat on all-american with the gators. usually ran a 4-3 or 4-2-5 on defense.

was down 10-0 at halftime (the crowd level was ridiculous at the start). came back to win 17-16.

ingram and richardson are tough to stop, especially if you have to leave julio jones 1-1 with your cb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Bama beat me 17-14. I couldn't run the ball one iota against their D.

Their LB's have superhuman powers. 3 jumped up, with their backs to the QB and all got 1 handed no look interceptions...and the DB who was toasted by 15 yards, managed to close 15 yards to the WR, and miraculosly snag a 1 handed interception.

More on the DB...they were playing press...he missed the Jam on #7 for PSU. the instant I saw that, I lofted a pass deep down field. The safety rotated over to the other side of the field for double coverage. So, it was nothing...literally. 40 yards down the field, had a 15 yard cushion, and the DB managed to get that back, and pick it off with 1 hand.

Nope. CPU doesn't have any cheats or speed bursts in this game!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by themick074
Any strategies for how to stop their run? Attack them on defense?
The general answer to stopping the running game is 1) defensive gap integrity + knowing your assignments 2) bringing another safety down into the box or 3) run blitzing

If you are unfamiliar with defensive gap assignments then google and read up on it.

1) I like running the 4-3 because the defensive lineman are only responsible for 1 gap. So it's pretty easy to see what gaps the lineman are responsible and then the linebackers are responsible for the other gaps. So for example the right defensive end lines up just outside the offensive tackle his job is to attempt to stop any run outside the offensive tackle, he is not responsible for a run to the inside of the offensive tackle. So knowing and executing the assignment for the D Line will go a long way to stopping the run.

You might have to move the player manually to get him in the correct gap before the snap. One example of this is your nose tackle. The computer, in a 4-3 under, will sometimes line up the NT over the center, but the NT is really responsible for the gap to the right of the center. So I will manually move his fat *** over there because normally the center will block him before the NT can get to his assigned gap. If fat boy doesn't get to his assigned gap you have a hole for the RB to go through. So gap integrety (covering your gaps) is huge when stopping the run. Also on goalline defense I will manaully move people to their gaps because FB gut runs are very fast to develope and you defenders need to be in their gaps from the get go.

2) So what if you are doing everything you can to maintain defensive gap integrety and they are still just whipping you butt running the ball. Well at that point you have to bring another safety down into the box. So you are going to start calling Cover 3 and cheating your safety down or call Cover 1 and creep your safety down into the box. There are numerous versions of cover 1 so I won't go over them here.

3) Run blitzes. This all comes down to personal preference but I will call run blitzes. In general I will call a zone blitz that sends both corners to stop or force any outside run back to the inside. Since the outside runs are going to be the corners responsibility the D line will pinch ( cover the inside gaps ) to help stop any runs to the inside. I will also use the corner blitzes for other things but you get the general idea.

Hope that helps

Note 1: I personally use the 4-3 Under formation because I know it the best. I know who is supposed to cover a particular gap and I know how to adjust the defense to handle many of the offensive formations.

Note 2: If you run a 3-4 it can be harder to tell what gaps the lineman are responsible for. Some 3-4 schemes have the lineman accountable for 2 gaps. So for example the NT is responsible for the gap to the left AND right of the center. It is a little harder for me to read that. So I like the 4-3 because it's simple. THIS guy is responsible for THIS gap, bottom line end of story. So for me it's just simpler to understand and thus simple to execute.

Last edited by mbmonk; 07-20-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Rookie

TDTGodfather's Arena

aggressive 4-2-5 is the way to go.

didn't stop them from 3 count 'em 3 TD's with richardson breaking away from 3+man gang tackle to bust out long scores.

complete BS.

beat 'em 27-24.....with LSU.
Chicago White Sox

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »