Home

My Thoughts on the Game

This is a discussion on My Thoughts on the Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Bender18's Arena

OVR: 2
My Thoughts on the Game

Well I got this game simultaneously with Madden for Christmas and I must say, I have been playing this 80% of the time. After reading a lot of people bash this game on here, I was a little bit discouraged. But I'm glad I finally got it!

Sure, it has it's flaws, but with the right sliders it's an awesome game. And I love the recruiting. In my opinion, it's a much better system than what Madden has going on with scouting and then the draft. It's really cool to see the players you recruited coming up through the ranks and eventually contributing to the team.

I just wanted to write this to give people some hope about the game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: My Thoughts on the Game

I've had this since release and have had Madden since release. I am still playing this everyday. Madden once a week sometimes more. Madden has the flash, but this has the gameplay. I don't see players breaking records every year like in Madden. The stats are pretty good, and the gameplay is fine for now. It definitely needs physics and momentum, but it beats Madden in gameplay IMO. My LB's actually get 7+ tackles a game in NCAA too while in Madden my LBS add up to 7 tackles a game between all 3 of them.

― Plato
Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have had both since release and play this game way more. I like the way Madden plays though but it gets boring. The speed is the big thing for me with this game . It plays fast and player speed mean nothing. This game is getting better and it looks like EA is going to make some changes to the dynasty mode which is a good thing. Its a good game and offers some fun times with the right sliders. The ones that are bashing the game I think forget that it is a video game and will never be like what we see on tv on Saturday's.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

The Defensive Pass Coverage is Garbage. It has been garbage since the first few years of the series, and it still is. I ignored the series for 4 years before trying 2010 out. What a waste of money.

I played this game for 3 days and threw my hands up in frustration. Mind you I was playing in "coach mode," and not cheesing.

I found that the defense could not cover Slant plays no matter who the teams were. I was coaching Florida Atlantic against Florida, and beat them in 8 min quarters in All-American mode 49-42. I just called Slant Pass after Slant Pass and they couldn't stop a single one. My QB completed something like 40 of 44 passes for over 500 yards.

So I tried with different teams, and got the same ridiculous results. I changed the sliders, and Slant passes still burned every defense.

In one particularly amazing moment, I got bored of "outsmarting" the defense by calling slant passes. I was facing 3rd and about 25 from my own 30 yard line, and I decided to call "Verticals." All receivers raced down the field past the secondary like they were standing knee deep in water. Then my QB threw a strike to a wide open receiver who went for the TD. On my next possession, I decided to call "Verticals" again. Guess what? 80 yard TD pass. Are you kidding me?

Finally I lowered the QB Accuracy to 10, and increased the Def Pass Coverage to 80. This lowered Slant Pass Completion %'s to about 60%. But it effectively killed all other pass plays from working. What a joke. Did anyone over the age of 12 play test this game?

Nice graphics. Great for kids I guess. But if you know a little about football, this game will challenge you for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by dp68; 01-01-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Slants don't work like you say. I run with SMU in an online dynasty with my friends and we're in year two. I may have maybe thrown 30 slant passes all dynasty long due to the fact they don't work too great for my team. And the CPU used to run slants al over me, but I decided to run zone when I saw slant patters start to appear. Guess what. They threw a pick, then an incomplete. They never went back to the slant the rest of the game.

This is my summary.

NCAA - Does a good job of what play works against certain D's. It doesn't always look realistic, but gets realistic results.

Madden - Looks somewhat realistic, but isn't really always realistic results.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp68
The Defensive Pass Coverage is Garbage. It has been garbage since the first few years of the series, and it still is. I ignored the series for 4 years before trying 2010 out. What a waste of money.

I played this game for 3 days and threw my hands up in frustration. Mind you I was playing in "coach mode," and not cheesing.

I found that the defense could not cover Slant plays no matter who the teams were. I was coaching Florida Atlantic against Florida, and beat them in 8 min quarters in All-American mode 49-42. I just called Slant Pass after Slant Pass and they couldn't stop a single one. My QB completed something like 40 of 44 passes for over 500 yards.

So I tried with different teams, and got the same ridiculous results. I changed the sliders, and Slant passes still burned every defense.

In one particularly amazing moment, I got bored of "outsmarting" the defense by calling slant passes. I was facing 3rd and about 25 from my own 30 yard line, and I decided to call "Verticals." All receivers raced down the field past the secondary like they were standing knee deep in water. Then my QB threw a strike to a wide open receiver who went for the TD. On my next possession, I decided to call "Verticals" again. Guess what? 80 yard TD pass. Are you kidding me?

Finally I lowered the QB Accuracy to 10, and increased the Def Pass Coverage to 80. This lowered Slant Pass Completion %'s to about 60%. But it effectively killed all other pass plays from working. What a joke. Did anyone over the age of 12 play test this game?

Nice graphics. Great for kids I guess. But if you know a little about football, this game will challenge you for about 5 minutes.
Yea this is a pretty sad post. Play me online and we'll see how well 4 verticals and slants work. It's called adjusting coverages!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp68

I have to say you are wrong. The pass coverage is not top notich but with the right sliders it can be good. I happen to know a little about football (high school coach with a state ring) and this game is not like real life football but that is becuase it is a video game. With that said it is a fun game that is worth playing. I have played this game since 98 and love the game. But I know it is a video game and look at it as nothing more. Sports games are a way for fans of a school/team to make them winners even if they suck in real life. I don't want the game to look like the same thing I watch on Saturday's and Sundays' or even Friday nights. Its a video game and nothing more. When will people see that and stop wanting it to be real life football.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

This game is way to fast. You cant make moves even with guys with AGI in the high 90's. Playing one team feel the same as every other team. The option is useless. Player move so unrealistic. This game is subpar at best.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »