Home

WR Screen - execution problems

This is a discussion on WR Screen - execution problems within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Rookie

milmont77's Arena

OVR: 5
WR Screen - execution problems

Has anyone else noticed that WR screens are not executing properly? Typically, it's a play that has to be set up, not via the new NCAA "set-up" % feature... but set-up as in the traditional sense. You lead your opponent to overcommitting on defense and then spring that play on them.

I loved setting it up and in NCAA '09 as it helped me defeat much more highly skilled teams by using the element of surprise. I am NOT referring to the much abused HB screen play by the way, please don't confuse. The sometimes cheesy HB screen had a distinct advantage against many defensive schemes no matter if it was set up or not.

Anyway... this year, when you set up a WR screen appropriately, the WR is many times taking one or two extra steps coming back to the QB after catching the ball. Even when the play is wide open with speedy WR's... the WR's are taking the extra steps, then seemingly pausing while they have this new animation to turn up field, and they get crushed from defenders who, having been fooled, are now coming full speed in reponse.

It still works maybe 25% of the time and I am getting some use out of it... but it's frustrating to see a potentially game breaking play just fall apart as a WR with his hands on the ball in open field (albeit by the sideline) more or less stumbles back towards the entourage of outraged defensive pixels trying to chop his head off. I don't mind missed WR blocks , but the WR animations are killing that play big time

Last edited by milmont77; 08-08-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: WR Screen - execution problems

Exactly, and it baffles me because this has been one of my go to plays for a long time and has always been perfect or close to it. One time I literally had a screen with one db covering and 3 blockers but the 3 blockers stood there leavin him unblocked.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
stewaat

OVR:

Yea WR screens in this game are not effective at all. Kinda sucks!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest
Exactly, and it baffles me because this has been one of my go to plays for a long time and has always been perfect or close to it. One time I literally had a screen with one db covering and 3 blockers but the 3 blockers stood there leavin him unblocked.
I seen this one too many time. I have scratched the WR Screen from my playlist. I dig deep in all of my PBs so one play doesn't matter. Just sucks not to be able to use it vs those zone playing teams. That used to be my "get em open play"

Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Rookie

milmont77's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm running with "D" rated, 1 star - Idaho online vs top 25 teams using "play now". Play calling and controlling the clock is my preferred style. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating it is to be tangling with teams like FLA with a cheeser behind the controls... having one of these FLA guys completely fooled ... he's stacking the line and committing to a run thinking he's gonna blow me up. My QB takes a quick one step drop out of the ace big formation, places a perfect WR screen pass outside of the run committed defense... and the WR more or less is stumbling around. It goes from wide open, mega surprise play to... WTF just happened 5 yd loss. Not cool when I am trying to take down top 25 teams with a cup cake school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young J 334
I seen this one too many time. I have scratched the WR Screen from my playlist. I dig deep in all of my PBs so one play doesn't matter. Just sucks not to be able to use it vs those zone playing teams. That used to be my "get em open play"
Same here man i scratched it from the plays that i use. If i see it i just pass right over. Out of several tries it has gained me positive yardage once maybe twice.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

The only play that works on occaision is "flanker screen", other than that all of the middle screens, the WR's do not execute their blocks/will just watch DB's run by them. Horrible testing job by EA.

The READ OPTION is also completely broken, which makes the spread option lose about 30% of its plays. They need a system similar to play action where sometimes guys follow the wrong player, they don't have it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-properly.html
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 60

I used to tear up the competition with UNC and their array of amazing receivers with WR screens in NCAA 09. This year... not so much. I'm not a fan of getting 5 yard losses on screens that should work for big gains.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »