Home

HOW DO U THROW DEEP!

This is a discussion on HOW DO U THROW DEEP! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Rookie

punchy7080's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: HOW DO U THROW DEEP!

the deep ball is the most important facet of my passing game. you simply have to know when it is available and make sure you have the players to execute (just like in real life... not many college teams are adept at throwing the deep ball with success). my trick is to get as many receivers on the field as possible. this increases my chances of having a favorable matchup with man coverage and/or a week DB. i complete MANY deep balls out of the spread offense. i also recruit tall, fast receivers with good hands and a quarterback with a strong and accurate arm (mid 90's in THP & THA by the time they are a starter hopefully). my favorite play for the deep ball is from the UL playbook and the 5 wide formation. in the best case, the slot receiver to my left will be matched up against a LB who has to slide over when the defense is in the wrong coverage. my fast WR will have 5 yards on the LB by the time the ball gets there. you also have to make sure the FS/SS is not sliding over, but even if they do, if my players skill level is high enough, i will complete over 50% of these passes even into double coverage. single coverage against a LB typically results in a 50 yards + TD
Old 12-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

I rarely throw deep, if I do throw deep, it is 3rd and very long, last play of half or game, or if I want to throw somebody off sometimes. It is not part of my game, I like to pick apart peoples seconday with comebacks, slants, Outs and Ins, and Post. It can get to a player when you work your way up field with those little completions for first downs.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Know your coverage, know your players. Yeah it's hard to throw a deep ball, but I'd rather have trouble throwing it than have another lob fest a la NCAA '06. What a joke that was. I'd much rather have this problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRDALE_KINGS
This is an absurd concept.
Does this seem like a problem to anyone else but me?

I think you are the only one that sees this as a problem. I'm not trying to bash you style of play, but play-action pass is a key part of college football, as well as the NFL.
Yes, there is tons of regular passing on both levels, however, play-action helps open up zones throughout the field. For example, Ohio State is running the ball down Florida's throat. The hit the "green" zone, and Florida sticks eight in the box. Play-Action is the right call here because the non-blitzing linebackers play run first leaving gaps over the middle of the field( not to mention slants and sluggos can be wide open). So, play-action can be very useful to a person like this who has problems with the deep ball. Play-action gives him a fighting chance at having his options being a step or two ahead of the defender.
If play-action isnt your answer for the deep ball, then fine, it doesnt have to be an absurd idea. It was a recommendation to try and help someone go deep.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Why is it that to solve the problem of throwing the deep ball you have to trick the defense by running play-action. This is an absurd concept. I play on XBL and all you see is Play Action passing. I actually have played people that have run nothing but Play-Action passes exclusively.

How many teams do you know run play-action pass every single passing down. This guy is searching for answers on how to throw the deep ball and the answer is to trick the defense by running play-action.

I use the University of Louisville with Brian Brohm and have a 6'6 wide receiver named "Super" Mario Urrutia and still have problems with the deep ball in one-on-one coverage versus either the safety or cornerback. Yes, I still throw for over 350 yards a game online but I refuse to use Play-Action passes to generate offense. I throw crossing routes, posts, corner routes, and quick passes to the flats to get my yards. Occasionally, I can throw the deep ball but those are few and far between.
I was thinking the same thing when i started reading this thread. I don't know where people get this notion that teams use alot of play action. I've watched plenty of football games from 1st to triple ot and only seen a combined 10 or 11 play action plays.

As for throwing down field, i do it pretty well and only use to different methods. If my wr has the db beat i use precision passing to overthrow him and he usually catches up to it. If the db is in front i usualy use precision passing to underthrow it, which works to well actually as half the time the db doesn't even turn around to adjust and will just keep running down field. I only throw deep in one on one coverage and against a cover 2 zone where my outside recievers well eventually run pass it, anything else i throw moderate to underneath.

"The buckeyes play Akron, they play Kent State, I mean, they may win the MAC this year."
Old 12-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #14
Roll Tide!

Coach Bryant's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady221
it seems like i can never complete a deep pass... a defender is always there even on man to man 1 on 1 my reciever will never get open and it will be incomplete or int

im on 360 btw

I think its time for you to try your hand at another game!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Rookie

GoDawgs211's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Why is it that to solve the problem of throwing the deep ball you have to trick the defense by running play-action. This is an absurd concept. I play on XBL and all you see is Play Action passing. I actually have played people that have run nothing but Play-Action passes exclusively.

How many teams do you know run play-action pass every single passing down. This guy is searching for answers on how to throw the deep ball and the answer is to trick the defense by running play-action.

I use the University of Louisville with Brian Brohm and have a 6'6 wide receiver named "Super" Mario Urrutia and still have problems with the deep ball in one-on-one coverage versus either the safety or cornerback. Yes, I still throw for over 350 yards a game online but I refuse to use Play-Action passes to generate offense. I throw crossing routes, posts, corner routes, and quick passes to the flats to get my yards. Occasionally, I can throw the deep ball but those are few and far between.
I watch Georgia play and they run a lot of play action and so do Tennessee and Auburn because of effective running attacks. In no way did I say run play action every play. I was just referring to throwing it in your playbook a little bit to mix things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #16
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I haven't had much trouble throwing the deep ball, but I don't really expect to complete them too often. I've found the most success when I lob the ball to a WR in single coverage.

In my game last night I was playing as unranked Miami @ #4 Oklahoma (year 2 of dynasty). I called a WR screen to the right but Oklahoma shifted both their Impact OLB's to that side. Instead of throwing the screen and risking a turnover, I saw that my other WR was in single coverage so just lobbed it up. He was even with the CB when I threw it, but ran past him to catch it in stride for a 51 yd TD. I find that if you have big WR's, lobbing it gives them a chance to adjust to the ball and make a play. I don't complete it every time, but I rarely throw picks if they're in single coverage. It doesn't work nearly as well if they have safety help over the top.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »