Home

Does my OL just suck, or...

This is a discussion on Does my OL just suck, or... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2024, 09:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

...are there just a ton of sacks happening?? This last game, I was playing NMSU as JMU, and I gave up 10!!! sacks. Am I doing something wrong? Do I not know how to play this game?

On games I play, I probably average 3-5 sacks against. I half roll towards the problem defender, but then the other side of the line just opens up like the Red Sea, and I give up sacks there, too. Some have suggested in other posts that using the double team feature could help with that, but then I feel like it'd just open the other side of the line more.

Thoughts?? Suggestions? Help!!

For reference, I am using A&S's AA sliders; the pass blocking slider is at 65.

EDIT: Just wanted to give an update. All of the suggestions have been super helpful. The biggest one is allowing the CPU to drop my QB back. I was always under the impression that if I did that, the QB would auto-throw, and I didn't want that to happen, so I would manually drop back. Inevitably, I would drop further than the pocket, and I think that was contributing to the high sack numbers. However, I still do get sacked too often for my liking. I have seen (as others have mentioned) that the OL will just ole and let the DL through with nothing but a pat on the back as he goes by. Fingers crossed that this gets fixed in the next title update.

Last edited by J.hunt1376; 08-20-2024 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Update
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
bjb
Rookie

bjb's Arena

Re: Does my OL just suck, or...

Blocking in the game, like many features, is just inherently broken.

Reddit has tons of posts and examples, and it seems be much worse since the last title update.

Maybe things will get better after the next patch, but that's not slated until 8/29 (iirc), and tbh I'm not holding my breath with these devs.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Yeah, it just seems like my OTs are always on islands and the DE/OLB is running right around them. I mean if these sacks were from blitzing DBs/LBs, I'd get it, but the majority of them are coming from 3 or 4 rushers.

Maybe I'll just bump the pass blocking up some
Old 08-16-2024, 11:02 AM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.hunt1376
Yeah, it just seems like my OTs are always on islands and the DE/OLB is running right around them. I mean if these sacks were from blitzing DBs/LBs, I'd get it, but the majority of them are coming from 3 or 4 rushers.

Maybe I'll just bump the pass blocking up some

Use protection adjustments. If I have a bad matchup or am outmanned I’ll also start to limit my use of 5 man protections. If there’s a rusher who’s really causing me issues I’ll utilize the double team feature along with the above.

Some of it is wonky animations gone wrong for sure and they need to fix that but some of it is also tactics in running your offense. You really need to pay attention to your protections.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-16-2024, 11:06 AM   #5
All Star

It's a problem especially in coach mode. A couple things that can help is blocking adjustments and offensive linemen with a good acceleration number - especially for tackles.

Acceleration determines how quick a lineman gets out of his stance and starts blocking. Tackles with poor acceleration will have defenders run past them with no contact.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:53 AM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
It's a problem especially in coach mode. A couple things that can help is blocking adjustments and offensive linemen with a good acceleration number - especially for tackles.

Acceleration determines how quick a lineman gets out of his stance and starts blocking. Tackles with poor acceleration will have defenders run past them with no contact.
Especially if the edge rusher has the Take Off trait or whatever it is, they can get really good jumps off the snap.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:55 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 13

I only call passing plays where there is 1 quick read and if it isn't there I burn it or hand off (in RPO case). Any passing play I call that has more than 1 read, I am generally going to get sacked. I just don't play with good enough teams that allow me to go through any kind of progressions for multiple-read plays.

This is on All-American. On Heisman I'd imagine it's much worse.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:13 PM   #8
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Just about the only time I get sacked is when I call PA pass. So tend to now be very conservative in calling them. Otherwise I call a lot of drag routes and can usually get rid of the ball very quickly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »