Home

Let's Discuss Defense... Not A Rant

This is a discussion on Let's Discuss Defense... Not A Rant within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-26-2024, 09:55 AM   #1
MVP

Collegefbfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Finally played a couple of games (some freshman, mostly varsity for now). I am giving up quite a bit of yards, but not points. I would like to know some things you guys do on defense... and more stuff.

1. What base defense are you running? Have you tried a few? Why you pick the one you did?
2. Are any of you doing what was done in '14? Fast, big LB at DE as a pass rusher? Big SS at LB? Etc. Not sure if that will even work in this game.
3. I know you can do the coverage shells thing from the play call screen or wait until after you are lined up. When I have done it from the play call screen, I don't really see a difference. I would really like for someone to explain the best way to disguise cover shells. What types of plays do you usually call first and then disguise coverage shells out of?

Many thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2024, 10:09 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Let's Discuss Defense... Not A Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Finally played a couple of games (some freshman, mostly varsity for now). I am giving up quite a bit of yards, but not points. I would like to know some things you guys do on defense... and more stuff.

1. What base defense are you running? Have you tried a few? Why you pick the one you did?
2. Are any of you doing what was done in '14? Fast, big LB at DE as a pass rusher? Big SS at LB? Etc. Not sure if that will even work in this game.
3. I know you can do the coverage shells thing from the play call screen or wait until after you are lined up. When I have done it from the play call screen, I don't really see a difference. I would really like for someone to explain the best way to disguise cover shells. What types of plays do you usually call first and then disguise coverage shells out of?

Many thanks.

1) 4-3 Base defense. I've tried out a few but 4-3 is what I'm most familiar with so that's what I run (and what the team I use for dynasty uses IRL)

2) You can do it via packages and such (some formations have the SS in the slot for example). You can put them there on the depth chart if u want it to be more of a permanent thing (or change their position in the offseason).

3) I'm still getting used to coverage shells as well. The basics of it is say you call a cover 2 play. You could cover shell it to cover 3 and the defense will line up as if they were playing cover 3. If you aren't seeing a difference you might be calling a cover 2 play and using a cover 2 shell as well, which would be the same look. Bes way to do it is go into practice and call the same play with different shells to see how it looks / aligns
Old 07-26-2024, 10:09 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

1) 4-2-5 or a nickel variant running mostly cover 3 or 4. If I have corners that can man up well, I mix in more cover 1 and the occasional cover 2 man. Run some cover 2 and cover 6 if they aren't having as much run success and I want to lean more pass defense.

2. Haven't tried this yet.

3. You should be able to see a pretty clear difference with coverage shells. Cover 0 will have everyone up within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Cover 2 man will have the corners up on the line ready to press and will bring any LB's out to the slot if needed to give off the man look. Cover 2 will be similar to cover 2 man with the CB's 5 yards off the ball instead. Cover 3 rotates a safety into the box with the CB playing off. Cover 4 has the CBs off and the S's around 10-12 yards deep. Cover 6 has the strong side showing cover 4 and the weak side showing cover 2.

― Plato
Old 07-26-2024, 10:11 AM   #4
MVP

canes have you had any success running man coverage? Cause I feel like if I call man I'm just getting burned by the press not working or the DB getting "stuck" as the WR runs past them.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #5
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I’ve always been a sucker for linebackers, so I always run a 3-4 in every game. I mix up my play calling a lot, with mostly zones (all flavors) and zone blitzes. I’ll mix in man here in there (maybe 15-20% of my calls are man/man blitzes).

I’ve never used under sized guys at positions as I don’t think video games punish you enough for that 200 lb “DE” or that 190 lb “LB”.

I have way, way more success mixing up coverage shells than I do without using them. I mainly use them when I expect passes, and I use them on almost every 3rd down and the offense can never see my correct coverage on 3rd.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2024, 10:29 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios12787
canes have you had any success running man coverage? Cause I feel like if I call man I'm just getting burned by the press not working or the DB getting "stuck" as the WR runs past them.
I hardly run it as is. With cover 2 man I don't get burned by the press as much since the safety help over the top helps there. I don't run cover 1 press anymore because of the issues with press.

― Plato
Old 07-26-2024, 11:18 AM   #7
MVP

Collegefbfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Ok, now some of you tell me about zone play on defense. I have played enough games on '13 and '14. Yes, I know they are different from CFB25. I have never had success with running defensive zones. I mean, even with what looks like the entire field being covered. I have done it with bringing pressure and not bringing pressure. Now, I know we are talking CFB25 now. Any secrets to playing some zone defense?
Old 07-26-2024, 11:27 AM   #8
MVP

The big secret to playing zones is understanding 2 things:

1) Understanding where your weaknesses will be with each coverage

2) Figuring out how to get pressure while also trying to minimize the exploitation of your weakness. Eventually zone will break down. With multiple receivers coming into your defenders "zone", they will have to pick one or the other. It's at this moment where your Zones are usually diced up by the opposing QB. It's why usering a LB or safety is so good in Madden. Because you can transition between 2 receivers better and you can kinda sit in the middle a little bit better than the CPU can. Making it harder for the QB to pick your zones apart.

Not an easy task this year given press coverage is kinda borked atm (which usually buys you time to get pressure on the QB before your zones fail).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »