Home

Getting better jobs as a small school OC?

This is a discussion on Getting better jobs as a small school OC? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-23-2024, 12:27 AM   #1
Rookie

jcabler24's Arena

OVR: 4
Getting better jobs as a small school OC?

Anyone finding it difficult to get better jobs when starting off as a small school OC???

Started off as OC for SHSU. Went 8-5,6-7,10-3 winning the conference and two bowl games in that time period. Somehow my coaching prestige is a D-

I know its entirely different game as in years past, but in '14 with that sort of success I would have earned a high G5 or low P4 offer. Anyone else running into this? Wonder if its better just to start off as a HC at a lower school?
Dallas Mavericks
Follow me @JeremyCabler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2024, 02:04 AM   #2
Rookie

bakerpa25's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Getting better jobs as a small school OC?

I've been able to get a few job offers per season in my third season as Jax State OC but I'm holding out because I'd like to be the head coach of my current program. Has anyone been offered their own school's head coaching job? That seems like it would be cool to me and something that could realistically happen.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:11 AM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

This feature doesn't feel as robust as I hoped. Has anyone seen more than 4 school offers?

I feel like you have to almost work your way up prestigious schools to get better offers. So if you start at a 1 star, just take whatever 2 Star is available HC, OC, or DC, then a 3 star, etc.
Old 07-23-2024, 04:34 AM   #4
Rookie

raiderz4eva's Arena

I started off as a Kennesaw state OC, hoping to get the HC job but Marshall offered me the HC position and that really intrigued me so I took that(Cole Pennington transferred to Kentucky though). The next 2 seasons in a row, Kennesaw state offered me the HC position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2024, 09:08 AM   #5
Rookie

Seanzino's Arena

I did 1 season at JMU as OC (averaged like 500+ YPG, it was constant shootouts) and got a job offer to be Memphis HC, where I was fired after 2 seasons!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2024, 10:18 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabler24
Anyone finding it difficult to get better jobs when starting off as a small school OC???

Started off as OC for SHSU. Went 8-5,6-7,10-3 winning the conference and two bowl games in that time period. Somehow my coaching prestige is a D-

I know its entirely different game as in years past, but in '14 with that sort of success I would have earned a high G5 or low P4 offer. Anyone else running into this? Wonder if its better just to start off as a HC at a lower school?
I started as the OC of Old Dominion.

I found the results after my first 10-3 season sort of surprising.

I had HC offers for Southern Miss, South Alabama, Tulsa, etc.

I decided to skip on those thinking there might be a carousel similar to NCAA 14 but it was quite a bit different. I don't hate it because it allows you to know what job you're going to take and finish the bowl game. I feel like the timeline is probably more realistic this way.

After a 2nd 10-3 season as ODU OC I took the HC gig at Memphis. I didn't really want to hang around for a 3rd year just to get similar offers again. I was kind of hoping for some larger schools to come calling for an OC so I could do that for a bit and then come back down and take G5 head coach job.

I'm curious to see other people's experience here. So far it hasn't been exactly what I expected but also not bad. I think this is an area they can definitely improve on for the next game. I'm also wondering how much of the process feels watered down without real coaches. You have all these generic names being hired and fired and it doesn't really mean much. You're not exactly comparing your legacy as a coach to someone like Saban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerpa25
I've been able to get a few job offers per season in my third season as Jax State OC but I'm holding out because I'd like to be the head coach of my current program. Has anyone been offered their own school's head coaching job? That seems like it would be cool to me and something that could realistically happen.
This is something else surprising about the ODU gig I had.

The HC left taking another job and a new coach retained me as the OC. I figured they would have at least gave me a sniff as an option.

Hiring a new coach that retains both coordinators doesn't seem likely.

Last edited by AUChase; 07-23-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:23 AM   #7
Rookie

rupe's Arena

OVR: 7

As the OC for ball state on a 4 win team, I got offered the HC job for Marshall. I was going to take it but I wanted to see what my smooth QB recruit, Chocolate, was going to do for me...and I didn't feel like I deserved to offer to begin with. I'm glad I did, because Chocolate looks and feels like a lefthanded Josh Allen.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I was OC at Louisiana-Monroe for 1 season. I went 13-0 and failed to make the playoffs. I had 3 job offers before the post season. Two were G5 head coach offers and I accepted being the OC at Michigan State. I expect to wrap up the playoffs in season 2 tonight and will enter the Coach Carousel because I want to become the Head Coach at a school that was not in 14.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »