Home

PS3 Repair and/or Death Thread

This is a discussion on PS3 Repair and/or Death Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21
PS3 Repair and/or Death Thread

I'm not looking to have this thread be about issues (those should be for other threads), but more like to compile the names of who's had problems and what they were.

If those of us that have/had a PS3 die or repaired could you let us know what Model you had and if you found out the problem. If you got a refurb back or your own system. Etc.

I'm sure there's quite a few of us that would appreciate this information.

Thanks

Last edited by DXZeke; 07-12-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: PS3 Repair and/or Death Thread

Mine got the YLoD just after 2 years (as seems to be the common time frame based on the topic in the Sony forums). It's not getting repaired because I'm not giving Sony any more money with all the trouble from their other systems,the BBB didn't do anything and no one does it locally. It was a 20 gig model with a 250 gig hard drive. Also it's $170 + tax through Sony in Canada.

I have a repair guide for the YLoD but I don't have the tools or skills to use it but others have said it's worked,it's 1.32mb so I can't attach it but I uploaded it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0ERU17EG

If you're in the US and have a credit card you can go through a guy on ebay to fix the YLoD if you don't want to give Sony any money (you shouldn't),it's also cheaper ($75 instead of $150) and you'll be getting your own system back (your save data will be safe): http://myworld.ebay.com/jdelectronone/ It looks like the individual pages expire so that's the main page.

If you've had a BRD failure well you'll have to look that one up but I've seen instructions around to have replaced those too.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Around the holidays this past year my 60 GB PS3 started shutting completely off (no lights at all, this is not YLOD), within about an hour of turning it on. I never found out the cause for 100% sure, but it's highly likely it was overheating due to how often I had the thing on. The bottom line is that it wasn't getting fixed without me sending it off to Sony. Plus I also did a lot of Folding@Home/Life with Playstation with it - that probably didn't help.

I got a refurb 60 GB back (with a VERY quick turnaround from shipping the old one to receiving the new!), and it's worked great to this day. Though I'm being a bit more cautious this time.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Well my 80 GB PS3 died after it began to show signs of an overheating problem. It didn't really die, but it would play slow and without sound for almost all games and shut off shortly after. However skate., worked fine.

Anyway, I got a refurbished one, and it is BC. So if anything happens to this one, the person responsible will die in the worst way imagineable.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

I haven't had any trouble with mine, but there is a place locally that advertises that they repair PS3's. Their main job is PC repair, but apparently they do PS3's as well. They claim they can fix the YLOD for $50.

http://www.rockfordpc.com/ps3.htm
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

The Blu-Ray drive on my 60gb model (with a 320gb hdd installed) died a couple weeks ago. There were no yellow lights or anything, the PS3 just wouldn't read my retail games or movies anymore. It played PSN games fine. What happened was I was playing a game and it locked up on me, so I had to reset my PS3. When it came back on it wasn't recognizing a game in the system. After a while it did notice a game in there but if I tried to play it I would either get an error right away or I could play the game for a few minutes and then it would lock up again.

My PS3 is at Sony right now, I've received an email saying they have it and turnaround for getting your system back is 7-10 days.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

"If you're in the US and have a credit card you can go through a guy on ebay to fix the YLoD if you don't want to give Sony any money (you shouldn't),it's also cheaper ($75 instead of $150) and you'll be getting your own system back (your save data will be safe): http://myworld.ebay.com/jdelectronone/ It looks like the individual pages expire so that's the main page."

Yeah,lets not deal with the company that actually makes the system,but lets give some guy on ebay a shot? I understand you had a bad experience with Sony,but come on with this one.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
The Blu-Ray drive on my 60gb model (with a 320gb hdd installed) died a couple weeks ago. There were no yellow lights or anything, the PS3 just wouldn't read my retail games or movies anymore. It played PSN games fine. What happened was I was playing a game and it locked up on me, so I had to reset my PS3. When it came back on it wasn't recognizing a game in the system. After a while it did notice a game in there but if I tried to play it I would either get an error right away or I could play the game for a few minutes and then it would lock up again.

My PS3 is at Sony right now, I've received an email saying they have it and turnaround for getting your system back is 7-10 days.
Kevin, are you getting your own system back or are they sending you a refurb?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »