Home

A long Journey Ahead

This is a discussion on A long Journey Ahead within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A long Journey Ahead

Coach DeSpain just received the call that he has been waiting for his whole life. That call was from the University of North Florida. UNF was calling to offer the job of the men’s head basketball coach. DeSpain didn’t hesitate at all with his answer. The next day he was on the phone with some of his old college buddies he played with at Indiana University. Two guys he called about jobs was two men he trusted the most. Jarrett Douglas and Leroy Perry both that played at Indiana with DeSpain. The Journey has began for this very young coach. He sat down and talked to his coaching staff and decided they could not win with the schedule they had. They had away games at Miami Florida, University of Florida and Notre Dame. So right off the bat he switched those games for less tougher teams. The teams that replaced those three would be Stony Brook, Maine and Harvard.

The recruiting would be the hardest for DeSpain as he has never really had to recruit. His previous job was coaching the Edinburgh Lady Lancers. Yes, he was a girls coach, but he was always told he treated the girls like they were guys. His thoughts were to go after world guys and in state guys. With three scholarships he really could put a stamp on his team.

Game 1 November 11th, 2007 Vs Maryland (In season Tournament)

Result 95-70 L 0-1

Maryland was obviously a better team. No doubt that we would probably lose. If we knew that the tournament would have us vs. Maryland we would have went to a different place or added a game instead. Keys to us losing was free throws we let them shoot 46 free throws and they made 34 compared to our 7-14. Also we had 20 turnovers compared to their 9. This was not a shocker to us and we hope to improve more.

Game 2 November 12th, 2007 Vs Tulsa (In season Tournament)

Result 70-66 L 0-2

We played Tulsa tough. I was happy with the performance of the players. The stat that I see that killed us was we shot to many threes. We were only 5-17 from the three. We need to drive and get to the basket. The bigs did a good job getting boards as we out rebounded them by 6. Our center had a double double with 17 points and 12 boards. On to the next one.

Game 3 November 20th, 2007 Vs Stony Brook

Result 73-45 W 1-2

It was a great idea to drop Florida as we beat Stony Brook. This was a momentum booster for our kids. We overall played well, but turnovers killed us having 16 compared to their 10. Our biggest achievement was on the boards, out rebounding them 40-24. The key player for this win was our center he once again had a double double with 11 points and 12 boards(2nd of the season).

Game 4 November 27th, 2007 Vs. Savannah St.

Result 66-65 W 2-2

Wow this game was a close one. Our free throws helped us a lot with us shooting 16-22 compared to their 6-11. Once again we shot poorly from the three shooting only 17% behind the arc. This was a good game to have for our team win or lose. It was a close battle to the end and we are just happy to have the chance to play like this. Once again our key player was our center who had 13 points and 15 boards. He is showing that he is an early candidate for conference player of the year. (3rd Double double of the year)

Game 5 December 7th, 2007 Vs William and Mary

Result 66-62 W 3-2

Another close one for us. This game was so close that their really wasn’t much difference in stats overall with both teams. The only real difference was we shot 45% from the field and they shot 37% from the field. That seems like a lot but really they only took won more shot then us we only made four more shots then them. Key player was our PF with his first double double of the year with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Our center played well having 16 points but only having 4 boards.

Game 6 December 15th. 2007 Vs Florida A&M

Result 60-58 L 3-3

Well we finally gave one up that was close. It was bound to happen sooner or later. This was a good game for us win or lose because of the competition level. We were down by 10 in the first half and came back strong in the second half. We outscored them 32-24 in the second half. Once again we shot poorly from the three. Seems to be a bad habit we have and every time we shoot poorly from three we lose. Player notes…. Pf had 13 boards.

Game 7 December 18th, 2007 Vs Florida Atlantic

Result 82-68 W 4-3

Well this game was a must win after losing to A&M. We came out strong winning the first half by 19 (48-29). Like I said before if we shoot well from three we win if we shoot poorly we lose. I guess that’s why they say you live and die by the three…. From the field we shot over 50% and from the three we shot 46%. This was a good game from our C who disappeared the last two games. He got another double double with 22 points and 10 boards. (4th of the season)

Game 8 December 20th, 2007 Vs Maine

Result 65-52 W 5-3

Maine really just isn’t a good team what so ever. They kind looked like us when we lose. They shot horribly from the three (1-13), so obviously they died from the three tonight. It was another good shooting performance from the field, but not from the three. Once again C had a double double with 21 points and 11 boards. (5th on the season)

Game 9 December 29th, 2007 Vs IPFW

Result 59-50 W 6-3

Well I thought we would have lost this game, because IPFW was really needing a win. After this loss they go to 0-10 on the season. I really am not going to talk about this game cause it was just a sloppy one from both sides. End of story!

Game 10 December 31st, 2007 Vs Harvard

Result 64-58 L 6-4

Well maybe we should of kept Miami on our schedule. I would have looked better getting the L from the Hurricanes then from Harvard. It seems to be that our C #21 was the only one that decided to show up. Maybe he didn’t have plans for New years eve and everyone else was thinking of what they were going to do after the game. Our team sure was not focused. We shot poorly (Shocker) and we gave up 22 turnovers. I don’t care who you’re playing you will not win when you give up 22 turnovers. Bright side was C #21 had 22 points and 14 boards. (6th on the season)

Game 11 January 3rd 2008 Florida Gulf Coast (Start of conference Play)

Result 55-54 L 6-5 (0-1)

One thing to say we shot 14-49 and we only lost by one. Not very happy about this game at all. One bright side was we got to the line 35 times. All I can do is shake my head and move on to the next one.

Game 12 January 5th, 2008 Vs Stetson

Result 71-61 W 7-5 (1-1)

Well our big bad Senior Center showed to play again and it seems that when he plays well we have a hell of a chance to win the game. He didn’t get a double double but was very close. 26 points and 9 boards. We got to the line 34 times and shot like **** again from the three. Luckily we played hard and well the first and out scored them by 29 because they out scored us in the second half by 9. Great team effort and great win.

Game 13 January 10th, 2008 Vs Mercer

Result 57-47 L 7-6 (1-2)

Well when you shoot 16-60 from the damn field you expect to lose. Oh and we also gave up 20 point to their shooting guard. That hasn’t been done all year for use. must have been a physical game cause our big boys shot horribly 3-16 combined. Just throw this one out the window.

Game 14 January 12th 2008 Vs Kennesaw St.

Result 65-58 W 8-6 (2-2)

Three guys in double figures will usually win the game for you. Was a battle of the big man with both teams centers scoring 20 points. It was a close game till the end where they had to foul and we made our shots. Our big center is kind of slowing down on the double doubles.

Game 15 January 19th 2008 Vs Jacksonville

Result 57-49 L 8-7 (2-3)

Honestly before this game I didn’t even know Jacksonville had a college basketball ball team. Well now I do knowing they are now 13-3 and they beat us. Well giving up 21 turnovers and shooting 15-50 will do it for you. I just don’t know what to do with this team that I have been given. Seems like they are just an average group of Joes.

Game 16 January 25th 2008 Vs South Carolina Upstate

Result 83-57 W 9-7 (3-3)

Upstate is a new program that hasn’t been around that much. I give their coach tons of credit for taking that job. I was offered that and said I would rather coach girls then that team as they are 3-15 on the season. Overall it was an easy game for us we shot over 50% from the 3 and from the field. Our C #21 finally got another double double with 13 points and 11 boards. (7th on the season)

Game 17 January 27th 2008 Vs East Tennessee St.

Result 61-60 L 9-8 (3-4)

Man that was a close game. We went into the locker room at the half and was all tied up at 31. I just told my boys to do what they are doing and just play hard. Free throws finally killed we missed 11 free throws and 26% from the 3. That really was one we needed to keep strong in the conference.

Game 18 January 31st, 2008 Vs Gardner Webb

Result 75-52 W 10-8 (4-4)

Wow our bigs dominated the game. We had two guys have double doubles tonight. Our C #21 had 23 points and 11 boards (8th of season) and our PF #11 had 11 points and 10 boards (2nd of season). This was a good overall win for the team. We still had 14 turnovers, but I will take that if we win. We shot well from everywhere and that is all to be said.

Game 19 February 2nd 2008 Vs Campbell

Result 66-53 L 10-9 (4-5)

Well Campbell really is just a good team (14-6) but honestly we just shot ourselves in the foot with this game. We shot 2-13 from the arc and 17-55 from the field with 24 damn turnovers and that’s how you lose a game. Bright side our freshmen PF #11 had another Double double with 13 points and 10 boards (3rd of the season.).

Game 20 February 7th 2008 Vs Lipscomb

Result 87-83 W 11-9 (5-5)

This game was exciting. I love high scoring games like this for small conference teams. We had four guys in double figures this game…. We shot well from everywhere and only gave up 11 turnovers. That is the way to play ball. Key guy this game was SG #33 who came off the bench and gae us 14 points shooting 3-4 from the three.

Game 21 February 9th 2008 Vs Belmont

Result 70-69 W 12-9 (5-4)

Wow another close game for us. When in doubt go to #21 our man in the middle. He had 22 points and 16 boards this game and was the key guy. (9th of the season) He really is putting work in for us. He has to be in the running for conference player of the year. Our team gave up 20 turnovers and we still won??? Wow… This really was an ugly game for both teams.

Game 22 February 12th 2008 Vs Savannah St. (Non Conference Game)

Result 73-60 L 12-10 (5-4)

Well this sucks we lose to this team that we beat earlier in the season. I blame this game on me. I should have done a better job at scouting and getting my men prepared. We just really can’t shoot at all. Only good thing out of this game was #21 getting once again a double double of 16 points and 11 boards (10th of the season.)

Game 23 February 15th vs. Jacksonville

Result 69-67 W 13-10 (6-4)

Well after losing our last game and blaming myself I decided not to make the same mistake again. We came out and played hard and we got a win that everyone thought we would lose. Our Freshmen PF #11 put of big numbers for us with 19 points and 18 boards (4th of the season). We still somehow win when we had 20 turnovers and shot 2-14 from the three. We almost gave the game away when we let them out score us 37-33 in the second half. Good win for us.

Game 24 February 21st 2008 Vs Kennesaw St.

Result 66-61 L 13-11 (6-5)

How do we lose to a team at home? Especially when we beat them earlier in the season at their place? We had 18 turnovers and shot 19-46 from the field and 4-17 from the three. I just don’t get this team its like one guy has a good game and others just watch. The guy that had the good game was of course #21 who had 21 points and 11 boards(11th on the season) This game was extremely hard because we missed 15 free throws.

Game 25 February 23rd 2008 Vs Mercer

Result 82-68 W 14-11 (7-5)

It really kills me how much home court helps. We lost to Mercer earlier in the season by 10 and yet we come here and win by 14. We didn’t really have a stand out guy this game. We had 4 guys in double figures for points and the key was only 16 turnovers and we shot 8-13 from the three.

Game 26 February 28th 2008 Vs Stetson

Result 79-75OT L 14-12 (7-6)

This game was just a good game. Not much difference in stats by either team. Our defense just gave up at the end and we were just tired. it’s the end of the season and I understand that the season is long, but we have to fight. Gave up 19 turnovers and really that is what hurt us

Game 27 March 1st 2008 Vs Florida Gulf Coast

Result 67-54 W 15-12 (8-6)

Well this game was important to me, because it gives us a winning record no matter what we do the rest of the way. I am proud of the way we have fought this year. We have had our ups and downs. #11 may have just given himself the freshmen of the year award with this game. He ended up with 13 points and 10 boards( 4th of the year).

Game 28 March 5th 2008 Vs Stetson (Conference Tournament)

Result 66-53 W 16-12 (9-6)

Wow wasn’t expecting that win for us. It feels good to get our first tournament win in the conference. Big shout out to #21 who had 10 points and 11 boards (11th of the season) and also #11 who had 14 points and 10 boards(5th of the year)

Game 29 March 6th 2008 vs. Mercer

Result 85-58 W 17-12 (10-6)

Oh my gosh that was awesome. It put in the championship game for the conference and make me feel like we really have a shot at the tournament this year. We had 3 guys in double figures and two of them went over 20 points. Now that’s how you win ball games.

Game 30 March 7th 2008 Vs Belmont

Result 87-61 L 17-13 (10-7)

I have nothing to say about this game except. We turn the ball over way to much to be playing in D one basketball!!!!! We let them go to the line 26 times and that also killed. We were not aggressive at all! On to the next year.

2007-2008 Champs

Kentucky Wildcats

Player of the year
#50 PF North Carolina

Mid Major player of the year

#42 PF UNC Greensboro

Coach of the Year

Coach of Kentucky

Defensive Player of the year

#40 C Alabama A&M

Big of the year

#50 PF North Carolina

Freshmen of the Year

#42 C UCLA

Atlantic Sun Coach of the year

Coach of Belmont

Conference Player of the year

#3 SF Campbell

Conference Freshmen of the year

#11 PF Jacksonville

Notes

SR #21 made first team all conference

Graduated 3 guys

PG #13 68 overall

C #21 67 overall

PF #24 52 overall

Recruit signings

6’5'' SF Juco Sophomore *** Vernard Holden

6’1'' PG Juco Sophomore *** Darren Liberty

6’9'' C Juco Sophomore ** Michael Stanley
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: A long Journey Ahead

I see that I am getting views!! I would like some input from everyone. Some comments or something! I already have 6 seasons written down and and going to post them once a night!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Rookie

filename1's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtd31
I see that I am getting views!! I would like some input from everyone. Some comments or something! I already have 6 seasons written down and and going to post them once a night!
That's smart, I wish I would have written down my seasons. It's hard to start up in year 6 of a dynasty. But i'm always interested to read people's dynasties.

Now Playing
CH2k8
NBA 2k11
X-Com UFO Defense
Skyrim
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Rookie

UNF is a good team, I started with them in my legacy. that 3pt shooter Wood can be deadly once he gets going. I made it all the way to the final four in my 3rd season and after a first round loss to Miami in the NCAA tourney in season 4, I made the jump to William and Mary.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Rookie

Awesome. I enjoyed the read and it was made better because you did lose a few games. I love seeing people rebuild a team, it isn't about going 39-0 every year and hanging a banner up. I only stopped by to see if there was any more news on a college hoops revival but I think you should add more information about recruiting and current players. Good luck!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C.State
Awesome. I enjoyed the read and it was made better because you did lose a few games. I love seeing people rebuild a team, it isn't about going 39-0 every year and hanging a banner up. I only stopped by to see if there was any more news on a college hoops revival but I think you should add more information about recruiting and current players. Good luck!

Sorry guys for some reason my game got corrupted so I will have to start a new legacy. Thanks for the input, but I will for sure do this again! Also I lose games because I don't actually play the games. I like to recruit, and simulate the games. I know sounds boring, but thats why I play the OOTP games as well... Just my style!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtd31
Sorry guys for some reason my game got corrupted so I will have to start a new legacy. Thanks for the input, but I will for sure do this again! Also I lose games because I don't actually play the games. I like to recruit, and simulate the games. I know sounds boring, but thats why I play the OOTP games as well... Just my style!
I don't find that boring at all, in fact that's all I do when I play now. I used to love the gameplay but it has become very old the past few years. It also takes some fun out of playing when you know the AI so well. I tried to start a dynasty recently and just play the games so it wouldn't go so fast but it just wasn't to be. I wouldn't be surprised if I have simulated well over 150 seasons since release. I'd usually stay with my original program until recruiting goes awry for a few seasons and my players leave and then I'll take the first power conference job offered to me. I once considered doing something like this while simulating but my dad also runs his own team on the legacy and I'm sure he wouldn't want to wait for me to blog between recruiting. Hope to see more soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »